Notification sounds issue in iOS 9

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I did a fresh install of 9.1 from iTunes and restored my back up. I seem to be getting my notifications now. Maybe it has something to do with an OTA update which I did initially?

MeriamM

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone 4S no longer gives me sounds on incoming text messages. Sometimes, it doesn't ring for phone calls, either. Software is up to date. This problem began after software update (what else is new?)

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Just a guess but from the posts here and on other forums it seems to me that if an update is done OTA is is more prone to issues than if done connected to the computer on iTunes. I'm assuming it was 9.1 which you last updated to? ( And was that from iOS 8 or something previous -) I never went beyond iOS7 on my 4s due negative feedback, but now have a new phone which is up to date and seems to be happy on 9.1....9.0.1 was a total disaster though.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Just picked a new 6S from VZ on Sunday & it had iOS 9.1 on it out of the box.
Still have some audible notification issues so not sure the "update via iTunes vs OTA" is necessarily the issue.
Good Luck

gliebisch

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I noticed this today right after upgrading to IOS9.1 on my iPad Mini. Eventually figured out that mute was turned on located on that obscure panel that you get when you swipe up from the bottom of the screen. The sounds would test just fine from the speaker in the message and mail apps but would never work when an actual message was received. This panel had caused me problems once before on another iPAD which muted sounds from my Toyota Entune apps, so that's how I knew to look there. I never use this panel except when looking for a problem.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Noticed that my text notification sound wasn't playing. Started checking and it appears some of my custom notification sounds no longer work. I tap them and no sound.

This all started yesterday when my Plantronics BT earpiece decided to just up and unpair itself from my phone. Repaired it and that's when I started having issues with my sounds.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Noticed that my text notification sound wasn't playing. Started checking and it appears some of my custom notification sounds no longer work. I tap them and no sound.

This all started yesterday when my Plantronics BT earpiece decided to just up and unpair itself from my phone. Repaired it and that's when I started having issues with my sounds.

Some I have to tap 2 or 3 times to hear them. Not sure what that's about. They all seem to work, however.

Mom2Aggie

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
'm running on 8.1.2 on iPhone 6 as I too am afraid to update. (Why fix something that is working just fine until now) I am only having a sound notification not working from one number, which is my daughter and this alarms me when I don't hear or even get a vibration notification from her texts. Her custom ringtone still works though. iOS 9.2.1 is available for me but I'm scared to even go there. I'm not as tech savvy as all of you but from what I'm understanding that it is better to update from iTunes than from my phone. And if I do a backup before I do the update then I can go back and restore what I had before the update. Correct? Does anyone think that updating to 9.2.1 will fix this problem or just open up a whole new can of worms?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd think the update 'may' fix the problem as it has for many. I would suggest using iTunes rather that OTA as its a bit of a leap from iOS 8 to 9 and this would give it a fresh copy rather than an overwrite. If you use iTunes and simply 'update' you should not lose anything. It will start the process with doing a backup .I do not know what backups you have now in your iTunes or iCloud but if/when you update, once done and if things are working properly, that would be a good time to do a backup to store what you have. Beware of 'restoring from a backup' which was taken when a device has issues, that could bring them back - but I've done 9.2.1 on two iPhones and two iPads without out any difficulty. But I very much understand your fears and have similar at times.

Last edited:

ravimns

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I have got the reason why notification sound not working. If you have muted media volume then you will not get notification every time but if you increase media volume then notification sound will work. So this must be software issue.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My sound notifications are not working for messages since my last update! What's the deal there? :no:

Did you ensure DND isn't enabled? Did you have custom sounds for your notifications? If so, did you make sure to set them back up? Did you try a hard reset? Did you factory reset without doing a restore to ensure you have a fresh installation of the OS (sometimes OS system files can become corrupt when overwriting during an update), and to rule out any 3rd party apps or wrong settings causing the issue?

You have to give us more information than "it's not working after the update". You need to tell us all of the troubleshooting steps you've tried in order to fix the problem.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No sound with text messages or alerts on my iPhone 6s. Does anyone know how to fix this?

First check your contact in messages. Go to "details" in the upper right corner. Scroll down to "Do Not Disturb". Be sure that's turned off.
b2098ca5b1f68c0e93238b94648bfc33.jpg

Otherwise, check in Settings > Sounds > turn volume up and set a text alert tone.
Make sure "Allow Notifications" is on in Settings > Notifications > Messages.
Do a hard reset:
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

Phil Crockford

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi new to this forum but I also am getting absolutely NO notifications on my iPhone5 after updating to 9.3.2 all was good before the upgrade is there a fix ?????? TIA

Phil Crockford

May 27, 2016
Visit site
checked all your suggestions all good did a "hard reset" still nothing ? I get vibration and visual notifications and who its from but no sound all my settings are as they should be ?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR