Notification sounds issue in iOS 9

naldonnis

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this same problem on my iPhone 6 Plus non jail broken. The strange thing is the notification for text will mute itself after I open an app of some kind. Whether it be a game or something like Facebook, it will just not notify me when I receive a text message. So I went into settings and the original notification tone that I had purchased from iTunes was not making any sound when clicked on. Clicked on another tone and it played without a problem. So I selected it and then tested it, and without a problem it worked. Selected the original one that went silent and it never made a sound. Rebooted the phone and it worked again. No idea why.

seanwplandry

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Notifications work for a few days, then all of the sudden they stop. Only way to get them working again is to restart the phone. Hopefully apple is aware of the issue and will correct the issue soon.

leannelizabeth1

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I've tried everything. Nothing helps. Also, I got a brand new 6s Plus from the Apple Store on Thursday (was using a 6 Plus). It has the same notification issues. Which means it's obviously iOS 9 causing these problems. I set it up as a new phone. Annoying that a brand new phone doesn't work as it should. 😡

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I had obtained a 6 and a 6+ early Sept ( The 'latest and greatest' isn't usually available at all here in Barbados until approaching Christmas ). They shipped with iOS 8 and worked very smoothly indeed. I broke my rule of avoiding any major updates for at least a month if not more, to sift through feedback with regard to bugs etc. an iOS 8 update was presented within a week of registering the phones, so I went ahead. I let iOS 9 slide, but when not much adverse feedback showed, and iOS 9.0.1 came along, something (?Lucifer himself? ) told me to go for it. Yeah right NEVER AGAIN !!
I also have found that any discussion of this flaw , a serious one indeed , is "The elephant in the room " and only now creeping go the surface- i.e. The best one could get were suggestions about update / install as new and no end of hoops to jump to maybe fix the problem. I remain terribly disappointed in what should have been a great experience ( upgrade for my wife & self from out trusty and trouble-free 4s's.... Live and learn - fingers crossed that the feedback loop is being digested by the almighty Apple, and that any further updates WILL NOT LEAVE THEIR SERVERS until the are truly 'improvements and fixes' not something akin to viruses. I couldn't care less about frippery like emoji etc.... Just need the basic functions of a device to function properly.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I too am having this notification sound issue. For me it happens with a notifications from mailbox or google voice, outlook, mail app. I'll get the alert but no sound or vibration.
Rebooting fixes for a little while then begins again. Factory reset my 6 plus and restored from my back up. Worked fine a few days then started again. This is an apple software issue.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I too am having this notification sound issue. For me it happens with a my notificatios from mailbox or google voice, outlook, mail app. I'll get the alert but no sound or vibration.
Rebooting fixes for a little while then begins again. Factory reset my 6s and did. It restore my back up. Worked fine a few days then started again. This is an apple software issue.

Have you gone to 9.1 yet? If not, it seemed to fix my sound issues.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I do not use Facebook nor have the app installed on my phone. My wife who also has a 6 plus is experiencing the same exact thing since ios9. We Are both on 9.1

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
All I can add is this ( maybe I'm lucky ). On iOS 8 as delivered, both phones (6, 6plus were fine - iOS 9 brought big trouble with the sounds/notifications, intermittently as discussed. I did 9.1 on both phones on iTunes and since then all has been fine again ( a week or so ) So every case seems different . I wonder if OTA updates don't fix it and full iTunes updates do ..... The update itself was quick and smooth, once the download was done which was really a trial and test of patience in both cases. Actually 3 cases , because my iPad mini was the same .... iOS 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 were very buggy with sound issues, iOS 9.1 has fixed it , and was again, an iTunes update using the iMac.

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I also had major issues with iOS 9. When 9.1 came out I decided to do update thru iTunes. Things have been fine since....knock on wood.

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I think ( and it's only a guess) that even if 9.1 is downloaded in iTunes and installed, if a backup in then done over it the problem may reappear. Any backup would have to be one from after a fresh 9.1 goes in .

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I think ( and it's only a guess) that even if 9.1 is downloaded in iTunes and installed, if a backup in then done over it the problem may reappear. Any backup would have to be one from after a fresh 9.1 goes in .

Thats one thing I have not tried yet. I am going to restore my 6 Plus to 9.1 and not restore my back up. I will install my apps manually and test. One thing I hate doing is reinstalling mailbox. All my folders are always out of alpha order and its such a pain to re-order. After all this time, mailbox has yet to institute alphabetical ordering of folders. Who in the blue heck does not alphabetizer their folders?!?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm far from a guru, just a user, but I've found that small incremental updates are OK done OTA but for the big ones ( full iOS updates or big problem issues) I connect to iTunes and simply select 'update'... I've never had to do anything else, and I e never lost any data . To do the update and then overwrite with a backup which was done either into iCloud or on to the computer before updating will likely re-introduce the same bug which one was trying to get around. I've never used a 'restore' function. Maybe I'm missing something, but so far so good .

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
To maybe clarify my last , I think there is more than a difference in terminology between 'update' and 'restore' . I have always simply 'updated' . When that is done on iTunes it does a back up first but I'd never use that back up, either through iTunes or iCloud ( unless the update goes south - which has never happened.) Once all has done , the automatic iCloud backing up will update either on its own or when I initialize one. But updating and then immediately applying a backup to the device could be why some problems re-appear . Just my thoughts .....

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
To maybe clarify my last , I think there is more than a difference in terminology between 'update' and 'restore' . I have always simply 'updated' . When that is done on iTunes it does a back up first but I'd never use that back up, either through iTunes or iCloud ( unless the update goes south - which has never happened.) Once all has done , the automatic iCloud backing up will update either on its own or when I initialize one. But updating and then immediately applying a backup to the device could be why some problems re-appear . Just my thoughts .....

There's a laundry list of reasons why someone would need to restore their iPhone from a backup. Have you never had to have your phone wiped by Apple in order for them to troubleshoot? Never had your phone replaced by Apple? Never ran into a bug that required a reinstall of the OS? Kinda like what is affecting notifications today? I have a lot of apps installed on my phone that I use daily or often enough. Having to manually add these apps back later is a pain but sometimes necessary. I don't believe this notification issue is because of an app or bug in my back up. This seems to me to be a total iOS bug that Apple needs to fix.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I realize I've probably been lucky, but the only restore I've ever had to have done was my iPad ( restore as new ) by a shop when it crashed so badly I couldn't even get it to be recognized on iTunes. The pair of 4s's ( 3 years ) and the 6 & 6plus have been Maytags except for the sounds problems, hopefully now gone. I have ensured that iCloud backups have happened since the update to 9.1, and like so many things, hope I don't have to use the backups in anger. I may very well do backups on the iMac of both phones now that all seems ok, to be there in case of disaster down the road. Apple have never been involved in fixes or wipes because there are only 2 'authorized resellers' and no Apple stores in Barbados. Only one of the 2 local cell networks supports iPhone period, so the infrastructure still has a ways to go support wise. ( which is why I tend to be timid about major troubleshooting. ).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen