Issue with network connection during iOS 9 iCloud restore...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So my iPhone went perfectly into iOS 9...iCloud backup worked just as it should have, and had no issues with anything.

My wife's phone was not so lucky...during the update, it error'ed out and needed to be restored. We did this, and the update went well, but the iCloud update only gets about 2-3min. in before it reads that the phone disconnected from the network and the restore couldn't be completed. I tried it about 10 times, and each time it was the same story...

Here is what I've done so far...

- Restarted my modem and router (just for the hell of it)
- Put the iPhone in DFU mode to try to kick it into gear, no luck.
- Tried the backup restore with the phone plugged into a power source, plugged into my computer and not plugged in at all.
- Tried the restore on different networks (both of my home networks, the Starbucks network across the street, my neighbors network)

...nothing has worked, it just gives the same "Network Connection Lost" blah blah blah...each time it gets into the restore at different points, sometimes immediately, sometimes 2-3min. into it.

Any ideas? Maybe server issues with Apple still? I figured at 1am in the morning day after release I'd be gravy, but it's still not working, and is kind of annoying because, while usable, her phone is missing all of it's content.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So my iPhone went perfectly into iOS 9...iCloud backup worked just as it should have, and had no issues with anything.

My wife's phone was not so lucky...during the update, it error'ed out and needed to be restored. We did this, and the update went well, but the iCloud update only gets about 2-3min. in before it reads that the phone disconnected from the network and the restore couldn't be completed. I tried it about 10 times, and each time it was the same story...

Here is what I've done so far...

- Restarted my modem and router (just for the hell of it)
- Put the iPhone in DFU mode to try to kick it into gear, no luck.
- Tried the backup restore with the phone plugged into a power source, plugged into my computer and not plugged in at all.
- Tried the restore on different networks (both of my home networks, the Starbucks network across the street, my neighbors network)

...nothing has worked, it just gives the same "Network Connection Lost" blah blah blah...each time it gets into the restore at different points, sometimes immediately, sometimes 2-3min. into it.

Any ideas? Maybe server issues with Apple still? I figured at 1am in the morning day after release I'd be gravy, but it's still not working, and is kind of annoying because, while usable, her phone is missing all of it's content.

Only thing I can think of is to wait and try restoring later.

Did we not do a backup with iTunes?

The Lannisters send their regards.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It finally went through this morning and processed fine, I guess it was just a network thing or something.

And no, she doesn't keep an iTunes backup, only iCloud...she rarely ever uses iTunes at all honestly.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This is why it's best practice for updating the iOS to make an iTunes backup first... (sorry to go Captain Obvious...)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is why it's best practice for updating the iOS to make an iTunes backup first... (sorry to go Captain Obvious...)

No doubt, and I always keep a physical back up to support a restore in case iCloud is acting like this, but she never does it regularly...we checked and her last iTunes back up was from July, which wouldn't have been all that helpful in terms of what she wanted out of the more recent back up.

I had a pretty good feeling it was a network issue on Apple's end anyways, so I never really stressed it, it was just annoying.

Robert1983

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue while restoring my iphone 6 backup to the new 6S device...
How big was your wife's backup? Mine is 16 Gb and it never reaches 25% of progress when Connection lost error pops up... that depresses me.