After upgrade to iOS9, iCloud backup says 0 bytes, and all apps have "no data"

StuartBB

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yp .. it's too easy for support staff to say "it's the servers" ... No way.

Pleased you seem to have fixed the problem. Have you got 100% confidence the backup is what you expect?

If you go to Settings / Storage & Cloud Usage / .. in the iCloud section, go to Manage Storage, ... and you can see the file sizes of everything backed up. Do those file sizes 100% make sense to you?

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Via Settings / Storage & Cloud Usage / .. in the iClou section, I went to Manage Storage, and I see the last successful backup from 8.4.1

Seems Backup on 9.0 just doesn't work, and any workaround is likely to give unpredictable results. If I'd get it to backup, I have no confidence what it will backup, when it's telling me all the Apps are 0kb as per previous postings and screenshots.

It's something Apple must be aware of needs fixing as a top priority for their next version

Doesn't your 8.4.1 backup take 0 bytes too? It was for me at least.

Actually, when you get backup to work in 9.0 it's totally normal afterwards, and it DOES show the apps. And I can see the content from my other devices as well. Plus, it's taking space on my iCould.
IMG_4152.PNG

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yp .. it's too easy for support staff to say "it's the servers" ... No way.

Pleased you seem to have fixed the problem. Have you got 100% confidence the backup is what you expect?

If you go to Settings / Storage & Cloud Usage / .. in the iCloud section, go to Manage Storage, ... and you can see the file sizes of everything backed up. Do those file sizes 100% make sense to you?

Yes, the sizes are showing, and yes they make sense. However, I can't be 100% confidence, this is just what I see. I didn't try to restore from the backup.

I posted a screenshot but it needs a moderator's approval. And I tried to include a link but it also didn't allow me because I'm a new member. You'll see it when it get approved! I'm not sure how long will that take :)

Last edited:

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

My iPhone finally backed up last night, and is no longer showing "no data" for the apps, BUT I have absolutely zero confidence that it worked properly because the data shown is way off. I have 4 photos in my camera roll, and yet it shows that my photo app has 102MB. Not possible. It shows my GoodReader has 32MB, but I have close to 200MB of data in that app.

I have no idea what it thinks it backed up, but I highly doubt it's an accurate and complete backup.

AndrewChang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi Omar,

I tried your fix and it worked for me. As mentioned in my post, my wife, daughter and I were all experiencing the iCloud backup problem.

I followed your instructions and it successfully fixed my problem on 6 separate devices. All devices are back to normal and backing up properly.

Looking back at what has happened, I think it may be related to the fact that once you update to iOS9, all applications are have their backup turned on by default. This was causing issues as there was more data to back up than available space.

Once again thanks for your assistance and for taking the time to register and post your findings. It's greatly appreciated.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I had the exact same problem. And I just registered to let you know how I got it solved.
First of all, what fischmanr said is correct. For some reason, after upgrading to iOS 9, photos are automatically set to On again, so if you don't have enough space make sure to turn them back off.

Here's what solved my problem:
1- Go to Settings-->iCloud-->Storage-->Manage Storage-->Select your device that you are having problems backing up.
2- Wait for the spinning wheel to finish (loading icon beside backup options). THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT (for some reason!).
3- Scroll down and click "Show all apps" (it's stupid, but trust me this is the only way I could do it)
4- Scroll all the way down, and click "Delete Backup" and then confirm deleting. If you got an error message saying that "the backup can't be deleted, try again later" that means you didn't wait enough. Let it finish loading.
5- After Deleting the backup successfully, go back to the main iCloud settings page, and go to Backup. If iCloud Backup is still On, turn it off then On again. If it was off already, just turn it on.
6- Go to the same page in step 1 again, and make sure that photos are off (if you want them off), otherwise just make sure that all the options are ok as you want them.
7- Go back to the Backup page and click "Back up Now".

It took me about 5 hours to get it done, but it now works fine.

Note #1: If after step 7 you got the same error message that it wasn't completed, just press "Back up Now" again, it should continue and finish. I got it to work from the second trial.

Note #2: If the whole thing failed, just keep repeating and cross your fingers :D it will hopefully work! My friend had to do the whole thing 3 times...

Best of luck guys, and I hope I helped.

Worked perfectly. Normal backup 4gb restored. Thanks!!!

AndrewChang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Why would you want to delete your back up?

I had this problem 2 days ago. Apple told me it's the servers. Not to worry. He looked at my iCloud account and said I had 3 back ups. I later tried to back up again and it finally did.
So I show a back up now of over 500 mb. But 0 bytes for next back up. Not worried. Just keep trying to do what you need to do. Maybe try late at night.
View attachment 91962

I only tried to delete the backup as my backups were not working properly (i.e. iPhone, iPads would not back up to the Cloud - I would always get a backup could not complete/mail message). I could see that backups were in iCloud, but they were not being correctly associated with any of my iDevices.

My thought process was to delete the old backup and start again with a new fresh backup. I was not worried about losing my iCloud backup (other than the time it took to perform) as I also regularly backup to my Mac as well.

In any event, I followed Omar's suggestion and everything is back to normal and working fine.

lolongan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday, I have done the same as Omar and eventually succeeded to make manual icloud backup on 3 of my 4 devices.
But 24 hours later I note that automatic backup is still down. Then I try again to trigger manual icloud backup but only succeed with 1 of the 3 devices which I have backuped the day before!
I think that the issue is both with iOS 9 and with the server. For now, I reverse back to the old fashioned iTunes backup while waiting for Apple to fix the issue.

StuartBB

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
IT all sounds far too unreliable and/or inconsistent .... I'm going to stick with 9.0 for now, assume a fix will be quite soon, not risk deleting what I know is a good backup from 8.4.1 of a few days ago, and stop losing hours on it .. !

See you at 9.01 or whatever !

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I think that the issue is both with iOS 9 and with the server. For now, I reverse back to the old fashioned iTunes backup while waiting for Apple to fix the issue.

This might be true, because it failed again with me today. However, I tried again after few minutes and it worked

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
IT all sounds far too unreliable and/or inconsistent .... I'm going to stick with 9.0 for now, assume a fix will be quite soon, not risk deleting what I know is a good backup from 8.4.1 of a few days ago, and stop losing hours on it .. !

See you at 9.01 or whatever !

It is unreliable. But as I told you before, your backup from 8.4.1 is 99% broken already. I don't think you can use it anyways.
But yea, there's no harm in waiting I guess.

bud3225

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I've tried restoring the network settings to no avail. My settings at iCloud.com indicate that I'm still using ios8 even though I've done the upgrade. I have a sneaking suspicion it's an Apple glitch and they'll send out an update to have us all smiling again as they usually do. In the mean time I've backed up my device to the computer in the old fashioned way through iTunes ....just in case!

rizzior

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the Exact same issue where i no longer have any free space after Upgrading to iOS 9 & my iPhone 6 Plus will no longer Backup to iCloud.
The Apple Rep tried everything she could including resetting the Network settings to no avail, so i am now in the Process of doing a Clean iTunes Upgrade, then Restore from my iTunes Backup and i do hope it works.
(But aren't we suppose to get back at least 2GB From iOS 9 Upgrade) ?

I do believe that there is a Bug somewhere that's causing the Problems and i do hope Apple solves it Expeditiously.

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the Exact same issue where i no longer have any free space after Upgrading to iOS 9 & my iPhone 6 Plus will no longer Backup to iCloud.
The Apple Rep tried everything she could including resetting the Network settings to no avail, so i am now in the Process of doing a Clean iTunes Upgrade, then Restore from my iTunes Backup and i do hope it works.
(But aren't we suppose to get back at least 2GB From iOS 9 Upgrade) ?

I do believe that there is a Bug somewhere that's causing the Problems and i do hope Apple solves it Expeditiously.

Try my method before performing a clean upgrade if you want. It might work with you

anon(4054009)

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Ever since I started on IOS 9 PB I haven't been able to backup my 6 plus to ICloud. Backup to ITunes worked fine. I have done most of the things posted by others. to no avail. My backup said zero, with all apps zero and turned on. I couldn't delete this until I scrolled down the complete list just as you said. Then it worked I was able to delete the "empty" backup, too weird. My storage increased by about one GIG so something was there, just not showing. Toggled backup on/off/on, crossed my fingers, then hit backup now. Worked perfectly! Thanks again.

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! Ever since I started on IOS 9 PB I haven't been able to backup my 6 plus to ICloud. Backup to ITunes worked fine. I have done most of the things posted by others. to no avail. My backup said zero, with all apps zero and turned on. I couldn't delete this until I scrolled down the complete list just as you said. Then it worked I was able to delete the "empty" backup, too weird. My storage increased by about one GIG so something was there, just not showing. Toggled backup on/off/on, crossed my fingers, then hit backup now. Worked perfectly! Thanks again.

Glad it worked with you! Thanks for reporting back

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue on Wednesday. Called Apple. They said it was the servers. They said wait until late at night to manually back up to iCloud. He checked my iCloud account and said I had 3 back ups. Next morning early I was able to manually back up. Give it time. You probably have an iCloud back up already. Try it late at night.

ShallowDLights

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I had that same issue. But stupidly, on Friday, September 18th, I was already in the Apple Store cause I had a genius bar appointment for my iPad cause it was constantly crashing (which was happening before the iOS 9 update). They were looking to see how big my iCloud back up was for my iPad and since it was constantly crashing, obviously it was taking some time to see. So I pulled out my iPhone to check and noticed that my backup for my iPhone said 0kb. So I asked why. He immediately grabbed my iPhone and said it must be a glitch cause he can see in the system that the backup should be 3gb. So he restored my iPhone and iPad.

My iPad works great now. But as for my iPhone, it deleted a lot of apps in the restore process. And it was asking me to sign into an iCloud account that wasn't even active anymore... I went through with the restore anyways. So idiotic on my part. Cause now I've lost a lot of very important apps. I'm desperate to get back my signature app. It's a notepad app that also saves photos using a drawing to sign in. That app held photos of all my serial codes for my homeowners insurance as well as many important financial documents that were only saved there (which I understand now, was also extremely stupid of me - you should always back up your backup). I've tried twice to get the app back. Each time, I watch it download and during the install, it disappears before my eyes. I also tried to manually re-download the app. But it's not listed in my purchases. I've searched the App Store and cannot find it there either. I've also went into iTunes and transferred purchases to see if i could find it there. No luck... iTunes actually shows NO apps at all under the apps tab... I have no idea how I am able to track down this app with all of my data in tack.

Since this disaster, I've turned off iCloud backups in hopes that someone will know what to do, so I have a iCloud backup that includes said app with all my data still in it.

If ANYONE knows what to do I would immensely appreciate it.

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
To all the people saying that the backup eventually worked, have normal backups continued on a routine basis?

On iOS 8.4.1 and earlier, my iPhone used to backup to iCloud on a nightly basis every time I plugged it in at the end of the day.

On iOS 9, since the upgrade, I have had 1 seemingly successful backup. But, there are still two problems:

(1) I have no faith that the backup worked properly, because the amount of data listed for each app appears to be way off. I only have 4 photos in my camera roll, but it says camera roll is taking up 120MB, which is not possible. I also have hundreds of MBs of data in GoodReader, but it shows GoodReader only takes up 23MB of space in iCloud (again, not possible).

(2) Although I have had that one backup, it has not backed up since that one time.

Additionally, to all of those people claiming it's a server issue, that definitely does not appear to be the case. That is, I don't think it's JUST a server issue. I say that because after upgrading my two devices to iOS 9 and having this problem, I decided against upgrading my wife's devices. So, my devices (which are on iOS 9) don't backup, while my wife's devices (on iOS 8.4.1) backup without problem every single night. If this was purely a server issue, it would seem that the devices wouldn't be split between iOS 8 and 9 like they are in my house.

I just got off the phone with Apple support, and the representative that I spoke with had no idea how to fix this, and was not even aware that so many users are experiencing this problem. This doesn't sound to me like a fix is imminent.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR