My mom's phone is in DFU mode trying to update--

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My parents share a laptop and an iTunes. When they backup/update their phones, the computer normally recognizes their phones. Tonight however, it did not, and thought my mom's phone was my dad's. It has sent my mom's phone into error mode, and is forcing a "Restore" or "update" but won't update.

What can they do?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it's in DFU mode? Nothing will be displayed on the screen if it's in DFU mode. Anyway, just connect the device to your computer ( try a different USB port or a different USB cable), and when iTunes recognizes it, select to restore and update.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Won't that just put his info on her phone?

It's got "connect to iTunes" on the screen. In iTunes it says "there is problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored. Updating will preserv to original settings." iTunes only recognizes it as my dad's phone, not hers. And they've tried every USB port on the machine. All 4.

Where on a PC would this data be stored, by chance?

They also said somehow their stuff gets comingled in iTunes every time either syncs and I don't know how to make that stop either. I got the impression that if you shared a computer that iTunes recognized the serials.

Last edited:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Nobody has any input? This has been going on for several hours and she needs her phone in the morning. The earliest Genius Bar appointment they can get is Sunday and that's all Apple's phone assistance can do to help since the phone isn't being recognized.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Create another user on the computer and then launch iTunes in that user. It would then be a clean iTunes library so it wouldn't get confused with another iPhone.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok that fixed the identification issue so thank you! We are going to see if it will update and if not he's just going to restore. It's identifying it as hers at least! Thank you!!!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner