iOS9 available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: iOS9 General Public Release available

My phone and iPad were both still showing 8.4.1 and I thought I would have to wait until I got home to update on iTunes, but 9 finally showed up in the last 30 minutes. But at least it appears to be downloading quickly.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

It bricked my mom's phone, to the point where iTunes no longer recognizes it as anything other than my dad's (they share a computer.) It's just sitting at the "try to update or if it fails, restore" screen on iTunes, and the "connect to iTunes" on the phone.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I updated my iPad mini2, all is good. Updated my iPhone 6 and all apparently good, BUT there's no news app, can't find it anywhere. I guess I'll restore my iPhone :-/

Anyone else had this issue?

edited: nevermind, just found the workaround to get the news app, right here on iMore

http://goo.gl/URV0lu

Last edited:

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
iOS9 General Public Release available

Seeing via Twitter it's out...

Talk about it here...

Observations, bugs, workarounds etc....

Edit to add: If you're on a 9.1 beta - stay there for now, and think about downgrading if there's a compelling need for you to do so...

But people on Reddit are raving about how ios 9 is waaaay zipppier and smoother than either the 9.0 GM or 9.1 PB1.

I am currently installing 9.0 from 9.1 PB1 so I can't confirm yet.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

But people on Reddit are raving about how ios 9 is waaaay zipppier and smoother than either the 9.0 GM or 9.1 PB1.

I am currently installing 9.0 from 9.1 PB1 so I can't confirm yet.

I was on 9.1 since Friday and I have to say that iOS 9 as it stands now hasn't had the small hiccups I experienced in 9.1. But it's all a case by case thing. If 9.1 works great for someone then I don't think they have any reason to downgrade.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Starting to love content blockers
View attachment 91625
(Just using iMore as an example)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Not going to shut up about how great Safari is now with these content blockers. Pages that I visit that normally have all these ads that slow down the process of loading are loading up way faster now without interruption.

Not having ads might be nice but not if the website you want to read has gone out of business due to lack of revenue from said ads (this is probably a huge over exaggeration but my point is that ads help your favorite websites and you blocking them hurts said website especially when your favorite website might be something like imore which has content all about mobile and whom I would guess probably has most of its content consumed on a mobile device)

I mean you can have something like the New York Times where you only get a few free articles and then you have to pay a subscription or you can have a site a like imore where it's free with a little banner ad.

I guess I'd rather support my favorite websites by dealing with a little ad that hardly bothers me anyway than screwing over my favorite websites just because I don't want to see a tiny ad.

Also Rene was on Macbreak weekly talking about how the ad blockers only really help Apple because you'll still get iAds.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Not having ads might be nice but not if the website you want to read has gone out of business due to lack of revenue from said ads (this is probably a huge over exaggeration but my point is that ads help your favorite websites and you blocking them hurts said website especially when your favorite website might be something like imore which has content all about mobile and whom I would guess probably has most of its content consumed on a mobile device)

I mean you can have something like the New York Times where you only get a few free articles and then you have to pay a subscription or you can have a site a like imore where it's free with a little banner ad.

I guess I'd rather support my favorite websites by dealing with a little ad that hardly bothers me anyway than screwing over my favorite websites just because I don't want to see a tiny ad.

Also Rene was on Macbreak weekly talking about how the ad blockers only really help Apple because you'll still get iAds.

I actually have a subscription to the New York Times.

iMore doesn't have "little banner ads" at all. They're very intrusive and I know it's not Mobile Nations' fault. I literally completely stopped visiting iMore on my phone because of the ads and mostly because of mistakenly tapping on one. It's ridiculous how I can't just read content. Not just iMore. I'm talking about everything else. You're downplaying the ads as being "little" and "tiny" and that's simply false.

cookemandan

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

I have had every 9 beta except GM and 9.1. I had to downgrade due to the battery life hit. It was almost like my android days where I could watch it drop. 9.0 official is by far much smoother. I may be done with betas for a while. Too many bugs not enough benefit except trying some new features although being limited.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I actually have a subscription to the New York Times.

iMore doesn't have "little banner ads" at all. They're very intrusive and I know it's not Mobile Nations' fault. I literally completely stopped visiting iMore on my phone because of the ads and mostly because of mistakenly tapping on one. It's ridiculous how I can't just read content. Not just iMore. I'm talking about everything else. You're downplaying the ads as being "little" and "tiny" and that's simply false.

Well good on you for supporting content creators you enjoy lol. Also I'm not really attacking you per se just telling you that there are downsides to disabling ads lol

Also maybe we are different but even the large ad I hardly view as "intrusive". Doesn't really prevent me from finding and reading great content.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1442466407.365289.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1442466416.950151.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Well good on you for supporting content creators you enjoy lol. Also I'm not really attacking you per se just telling you that there are downsides to disabling ads lol

Also maybe we are different but even the large ad I hardly view as "intrusive". Doesn't really prevent me from finding and reading great content.

View attachment 91663View attachment 91664

Those are ridiculous, lol

Look at what I get when I disabled the blocker. Good luck on hitting close on that bottom one on the first try without accidentally tapping it.
8e3da336cc0e89aef666ae24ed702400.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

The ads discussion is going to be an uncomfortable one for a long time to come until the real problem is solved. How to regulate ads so that the ad makers are actually following the content guidelines. I heard Rene on MBW a couple of weeks ago talking about how some ads absolutely ignore Google AdWords rules. Things ought to be regulated better.

But we are further than before when we were trying to catch that stupid monkey to remove an ad.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

The ads discussion is going to be an uncomfortable one for a long time to come until the real problem is solved. How to regulate ads so that the ad makers are actually following the content guidelines. I heard Rene on MBW a couple of weeks ago talking about how some ads absolutely ignore Google AdWords rules. Things ought to be regulated better.

But we are further than before when we were trying to catch that stupid monkey to remove an ad.
DAMN YOU. This is actually making me consider downloading Crystal :)

Anyway...

One thing I've noticed is that on 9.1 beta there was always about 1/2 of a second from when I tapped an icon to the animation happening and it opening.

With 9.0 PR there is no time between tapping an app and it opening up.

vsnlweb

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I don't know when this started happening, but has anyone had the problem in "Siri Suggestions" that NEARBY section does not show up. I remember it being there beta 5 and below, but ever since the the GM I haven't seen it.

vsnlweb

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

DAMN YOU. This is actually making me consider downloading Crystal :)

Anyway...

One thing I've noticed is that on 9.1 beta there was always about 1/2 of a second from when I tapped an icon to the animation happening and it opening.

With 9.0 PR there is no time between tapping an app and it opening up.

Hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW