Bloatware

Munale

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
any update on the story that ios9 will include additional bloatware? Find my friends could be a deal breaker

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
any update on the story that ios9 will include additional bloatware? Find my friends could be a deal breaker

Bloatware? Have you ever used a Blackberry or Android device? Yeah, there are some apps that people don't use, and they are not removable... just put them in a folder and forget them. Or buy a really bloated device.

If "Find My Friends" is a "deal breaker", then I'm sorry to see you go, because it's there.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
That article also indicates with with iOS 9, Find My Phone, Find My Friends and News will not be removable.

Yes at this time.

Tim said for Apps that won't break the phone. Find My Friends, Podcasts, Stocks etc could be on the future 'allow to delete' when they find a way to allow removal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
None of those apps take much space at all! Just hide those you don't use in a folder way off on the last screen page by itself! Deal breaker? LOL

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Podcasts is 44KB. The iCloud cache alone on other apps would be 1000s times bigger. Tapatalk that I use to reply to this post is 230MB.

And calling these built in apps bloatware is a huge stretch. You may not use all of them but real bloatware is the kind the carriers force on you on other phones.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Find My Friends is still a separate app in AppStore. If you don't want it, don't install it. The service behind the app, though, is integrated in iOS 9 but the app it self is not being installed with it.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's added space and additional tracking that I don't need

If this really is a deal breaker, your choices are very limited. Either hope/wait for a jailbreak so you can (possibly) remove some of those apps, or use a different platform. This is not meant to be a "love it or leave it" response, but basically, that's what it boils down to - at least for now.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys, my bad. It's indeed pre installed. When I was on iOS 8, I installed it, 'cause I use it regularly. That's why I assumed it was still an app from AppStore

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly there is no issue here.
In BB there were a ton of apps I couldn't get rid of. Android has whole pages of it.
Put the app in a folder and that's it. Go on with life.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
i don't have an android phone so that's hardly relevant

It is relevant because Apple has the least bloat ware of all the platforms I use. And I use four, concurrently.

A new app is not bloatware. Bloatware is carrier pushed or manufacturer pushed apps that often duplicate apps already in the OS, or which you didn't want. Example, AT&T navigation AND Google Maps. I don't *want* the AT&T app yet there it is on my Note 4.

Or BB Maps and then again AT&T Navigation.

So one new app like Find my Friends isn't bloatware. It's a new app. Don't want it? Put it in a folder called Apple.
8426f70bf469ba6a9cdf3326236c3097.jpg

Or make a folder called Junk and put that bottom right of your screen.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
And it won't function without your consent. For instance, it won't put your location or identity out there without you explicitly allowing it.

A legit concern but Apple is very good about protecting you and keeping you private by default.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox