Will I lose all wifi passwords if I have iCloud Keychain enabled and restore network settings?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Over the years I have collected more than a few dozen wifi passwords all over Europe. And since there is no way to backup those passwords or see them in an overview, I'm reluctant to perform a network settings restore.

Has anyone here an idea whether iCloud Keychain will have those passwords saved as well so I don't have to insert them one by one again when connecting to previous wifi spots?

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Nope, it's a regular wifi I logged in to. I.e. : friends, family, shops and so. I'm not worried about those web based wifi spots.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope, it's a regular wifi I logged in to. I.e. : friends, family, shops and so. I'm not worried about those web based wifi spots.

You can look and see what's in Keychain. They will remain there unless you delete them. You won't lose them in a reset.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I did, it only shows passwords for websites. This means I will not perform a network settings restore soon unless necessary

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Resetting your network settings should have no effect on your iCloud Keychain passcode listing for websites. It will however, reset your Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, as well as VPN and APN settings that you?ve used before. In other words, it resets your network-related settings to their native state. It has absolutely nothing to do with websites and their associated passwords.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Will I lose all wifi passwords if I have iCloud Keychain enabled and restore ...

That's exactly what I thought, D. However, I was hoping iCloud Keychain would save wifi passwords as well. That's why I started this thread, to be sure. And now I am.

Thanks all for your input.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Will I lose all wifi passwords if I have iCloud Keychain enabled and restore ...

That's exactly what I thought, D. However, I was hoping iCloud Keychain would save wifi passwords as well. That's why I started this thread, to be sure. And now I am.

You're very welcome...:)....Anyway, according to the Apple, iCloud Keychain keeps your Safari website usernames and passwords, credit card information, and Wi-Fi network information up to date across all of your approved devices that are using iOS 7.0.3 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later. However, from what I could see, it did not state what all is included in the 'Wi-Fi network information'.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will I lose all wifi passwords if I have iCloud Keychain enabled and restore ...

You misunderstood. It does keep your wifi passwords safe if they are entered there. What a reset does is unhooks the password from wifi in Settings. So you go to Keychain, get the password, and enter it back in in Settings.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Spence, I looked in Settings > Safari > Passwords and I didn't see any wifi passwords over there.

And I doubt I will see it after restoring Network Settings.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Spence, I looked in Settings > Safari > Passwords and I didn't see any wifi passwords over there.

And I doubt I will see it after restoring Network Settings.

WiFi passwords will not go in Keychain. Only passwords used in Safari will go there. When you log in to a site or whatever in Safari, it will ask you if you want to save it to Keychain. Other passwords entered elsewhere won't get that option. You entered your wifi passwords in Settings, not Safari. So they are not saved in Keychain. You will need to use a password keeper app to store those not included in Keychain. Like 1Password. Regardless, any passwords you do have in Keychain will remain there if you do a reset or a restore as new. I restored my phone last spring as new. My Keychain passwords were still there afterwards.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yup, exactly what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

It was just wishful thinking of me.

But i still think  should make this possible in the future, though

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
WiFi passwords will not go in Keychain.
According to the FAQ posted above, they will:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

What is iCloud Keychain?
iCloud Keychain keeps your Safari website usernames and passwords, credit card information, and Wi-Fi network information up to date across all of your approved devices that are using iOS 7.0.3 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later.

So theoretically they should be there -- just how to check and make sure they're safely saved before resetting. I know after resetting network settings I've had to re-enter them, which surprised me. Though I do recall having a wifi password on my phone and it showing up on my iPad when going to the same location, but it's been a while and my memory could be fuzzy :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
According to the FAQ posted above, they will:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

What is iCloud Keychain?
iCloud Keychain keeps your Safari website usernames and passwords, credit card information, and Wi-Fi network information up to date across all of your approved devices that are using iOS 7.0.3 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later.

So theoretically they should be there -- just how to check and make sure they're safely saved before resetting. I know after resetting network settings I've had to re-enter them, which surprised me. Though I do recall having a wifi password on my phone and it showing up on my iPad when going to the same location, but it's been a while and my memory could be fuzzy :)

They will if added in Safari. But I've never seen the option to add to Keychain in Settings.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I would imagine it just saves them all.

No, it doesn't. Only passwords or passcode used in Safari. If I open a new app and create an account with email and password, none of it goes to Keychain. But if I log in on that same online in Safari, then the option to save to Keychain is offered.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No, it doesn't. Only passwords or passcode used in Safari. If I open a new app and create an account with email and password, none of it goes to Keychain. But if I log in on that same online in Safari, then the option to save to Keychain is offered.

How do you enter wifi passwords in safari? The FAQ says wifi, not specifically website/safari passwords.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

More from the FAQ:

"Are my existing saved passwords, Wi-Fi networks, and Internet accounts included in iCloud Keychain?
Yes. When you turn on iCloud Keychain, any previously-saved website usernames and passwords, Wi-Fi networks, and Internet accounts are automatically included in iCloud Keychain."

Never seen where wifi info is entered in safari. Where do you do that?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

More from the FAQ:

"Are my existing saved passwords, Wi-Fi networks, and Internet accounts included in iCloud Keychain?
Yes. When you turn on iCloud Keychain, any previously-saved website usernames and passwords, Wi-Fi networks, and Internet accounts are automatically included in iCloud Keychain."

Never seen where wifi info is entered in safari. Where do you do that?

I go to the Comcast website. I can log in, change the wifi password, username and etc.
839a03be135bd42754570ef64e88f78b.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh