Safari bookmarks and reading list are gone

Gabi Mariella

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
So, my reading list and bookmarks started having problems a few days ago, when my Iphone still had iOS 8.3. One day I open safari and, out of nowhere, some of those little bookmark icons disappeared, while others were cut in half and others showed something like a TV static (pages were still acessible). This was no big deal, till I checked out my reading list and it was blank... You could see that the list existed, you could scroll up and down through the empty "slots" and even click on them, but doing so loaded an also empty page.
Hoping to fix this, today I updated to iOS 8.4, but it just erased everything. Gone. Poof. No, I don't have iCloud backup and I know it's probably impossible to recover my data, but I'd like to know if someone else experienced this and if there's any explanation.
Sorry for long post ;-;

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No iTunes back up either?

Try logging out of iCloud on the phone... Reboot it... Log in again, let it sync to iCloud... Bookmarks sync to iCloud as well as backing up...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You refer to the bookmarklets. Yes they do that when you update. Did you save them as bookmarks as well? The bookmarks would still be there in Safari.
It's one of those things they don't tell you. Next time before you update, move the bookmarklets from the screen to Safari as bookmarks.

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
You refer to the bookmarklets. Yes they do that when you update. Did you save them as bookmarks as well? The bookmarks would still be there in Safari.
It's one of those things they don't tell you. Next time before you update, move the bookmarklets from the screen to Safari as bookmarks.

Could you explain a little about moving 'bookmarklets from screen to safari as bookmarks'?
I add them by clicking on 'Add to favourites' and they appear and remain on the screen.
Aren't 'Favourites' already bookmarks?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Could you explain a little about moving 'bookmarklets from screen to safari as bookmarks'?
I add them by clicking on 'Add to favourites' and they appear and remain on the screen.
Aren't 'Favourites' already bookmarks?
Yes, favorites are bookmarks that show on the screen in Safari, like these:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442337558.343173.jpg

Then you have bookmarks listed here in Safari:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442337611.456830.jpg

Those bookmarklets on the phone screen are no different. To move them to Safari as a bookmark, just tap on one. It opens in Safari where you can add it as a bookmark. Then delete from your home screen.