Safe to install iOS 9 public beta on primary device?

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello lovely people. So I've been considering installing iOS 9 public beta on my iPhone 6, which also happens to be my primary device. Of course I will do the mandatory iTunes backup and everything. But I wanted to know from your experience whether I'm likely to face any major problem with iOS 9. Like serious bugs and all that might render my phone useless.

Basically, is it safe? What does your experience say? Thanks for sharing your insights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Each device varies, but as long as you understand that beta is unfinished software, and you are tech savvy enough to create a backup beforehand and know how to downgrade back to your current version then yes, it is safe.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Beta 2 fixed a bunch of the bugs from beta 1. I have it on my primary device. Just be prepared for the random reboots and app crashes and some features not working properly.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Beta 4 has been pretty good, I haven't had any major issues with it but you do have to keep in mind that it still is a beta.

ltoruch

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
No major problems encountered with public beta 1 & 2 so far except for some random crashes, good enough as daily driver!

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Beta 3 worked great for me. 4 has goofed up all my sounds. When I try to change them it crashes back to the home screen. No reboot at least.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm running it on iPhone 6 Plus and iPad mini 2 without any major issues. However, my advice is this: if you can't be without your device, don't install a beta.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
If there's apps that you use daily, I would do a backup (which you should do anyway) and give it a shot. It's fairly stable. If you find your "must have" apps aren't working, just restore, which is super easy to do

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I have Dev Beta 4 on my iPad Air , running great so far. And I have Pub Beta 2 on my iPhone 6 runs great only had 1 freeze on iPhone 6.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Install beta 3, everything working great accept for one app but it'll be fixed on the next beta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello lovely people. So I've been considering installing iOS 9 public beta on my iPhone 6, which also happens to be my primary device. Of course I will do the mandatory iTunes backup and everything. But I wanted to know from your experience whether I'm likely to face any major problem with iOS 9. Like serious bugs and all that might render my phone useless.

Basically, is it safe? What does your experience say? Thanks for sharing your insights!

It's "safe" as long as you understand what you are getting into and are willing to deal with the pitfalls. Make sure you have a good backup of your data immediately before updating, as you cannot restore a backup made with iOS 9 onto an iOS 8 device.

Beta releases are basically test versions, and there are new, sometimes half-baked, features being introduced, and sometimes basic functionality is affected.

Public beta 3 and developer beta 5 are fairly far along and seem to be stable, but there is always that odd chance that the next version will break a feature that you rely on or will cause a "go to" app to not function properly.

Again, with a good backup and full awareness of the potentially burning building that you are walking into, it's about as safe as it can get.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
It's "safe" as long as you understand what you are getting into and are willing to deal with the pitfalls. Make sure you have a good backup of your data immediately before updating, as you cannot restore a backup made with iOS 9 onto an iOS 8 device.

Beta releases are basically test versions, and there are new, sometimes half-baked, features being introduced, and sometimes basic functionality is affected.

Public beta 3 and developer beta 5 are fairly far along and seem to be stable, but there is always that odd chance that the next version will break a feature that you rely on or will cause a "go to" app to not function properly.

Again, with a good backup and full awareness of the potentially burning building that you are walking into, it's about as safe as it can get.

Nicely put. I am aware that there will be some apps that may not be compatible with iOS 9. I tend to play this game everyday and I wouldn't want it to go out of service lol. Any idea whether World of Tanks Blitz runs on the public beta?

ewstill

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm debating the same thing but remember to back up before you update to ios9 beta.