Location services question

qtrim

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
On my iPhone 6 I have location services turned on so that passbook will pop up my loyalty cards, but I leave it turned off for most apps other than Dark Sky.

My question is, once location services is on for one app, does it really matter if it's turned on in other apps as far as battery life is concerned? It would seem like once the device has pulled the location info for one app, you've already taken the battery hit.

Thoughts?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Try it with other apps on for a while and see if you notice a difference... if you do, go back to your way...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
One app doesn't pull GPS for another app. I have most set for "while Using". And most of those are weather or camera apps. If it only offers "Always" or "Never", I choose Never. The only exceptions I have is the Red Cross Tornado app and BeWeather 2. I leave Twitter, Facebook and Google+ set to Never. Google+ will run non stop with little location arrow in the status bar.

anon(9343851)

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
On my iPhone 6 I have location services turned on so that passbook will pop up my loyalty cards, but I leave it turned off for most apps other than Dark Sky.

My question is, once location services is on for one app, does it really matter if it's turned on in other apps as far as battery life is concerned? It would seem like once the device has pulled the location info for one app, you've already taken the battery hit.

Thoughts?
Starting with iOS 7, it is much less of a concern, if at all. iOS 7 coalesces requests from apps that do background refresh so that they can all perform their work while the antennae are powered up, so the impact is greatly reduced.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73