Apple Notes.app vs Evernote or whatever

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I look forward to seeing the notes app when it's released, but I doubt it will be useful enough for me to switch from OneNote. We will see.

If you use OneNote the way it was designed to be used, the iOS and OS X Notes app won't even come close to being enough. Especially true if you use it in conjunction with other Office Apps (like Excel). There is no similar integration between the Notes app and the iWork apps on OS X and I don't think it will work that well on iOS either.

There will still be uses for it, still, as a sort of "scratch pad"/"Sticky Note" type service. But for actual note taking... it's still extremely limited.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Probably because the NOTES app is a NOTES app and not a TODO app... maybe probably.

The problem is that some developers are blurring the lines. They're trying to develop what I would consider sort of hybrid apps. They're adding some To Do functionality to Note Apps and some Note Functionality to To Do apps.

Granted, Note Taking applications should be able to create Checklists, anyways, but To Do apps are a bit more focused in how they do that. They're more related to Task Apps, and for that kind of stuff, you have "Reminders" in OS X and iOS. Notes is not a replacement for something like Wudnerlist, Reminders, 2Do...

It's designed merely as something to allow people to move over from OSes like Android (where Google Keep is the equivalent app) while maintaining decent feature parity for an App like this.

I don't think it's really targeted to Rival OneNote or Evernote, either. Apple would need like 2-3 major updates to come close to either of those, and that's assuming Microsoft and Evernote basically stand still an don't improve at all.

Compared to OneNote, Notes is about as amazing as Numbers is compared to Excel as a spreadsheet app.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Evernote is the subscription fee. For the one price of extra iCloud storage, I'd get something similar to Evernote, even though not equal.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OneNote on the iPad is a beautiful app. I love the tabs on top and the pages on the right. You can organize a lt of information. But you really have to be an Office360 subscriber (which I am). This current version of Notes will not be a competitor, although I'll use the Notes app heavily. And if so many people are already using Notes, that number will not only increase, but those people will spend more time in it.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
OneNote - I've used this full time for a few years, however over the past 3+ months I've noticed that it performs very badly, big lag between hitting keys on keypad and showing up on screen. I've tried re-install, without opening my existing notebooks and have the same issue. This occurred on both iOS 8.3 and now 8 beta 1. I have two folks I work with who experience the same issue. From a features point of view, it is great, I especially like the multiple text boxes, allowing me to add a second column within notes for actions and other tracking points.

Notes App - If we could change the appearance that would go a long way to me wanting to use it, however the yellow top and odd "skewmorphic" design just makes it less appealing to use.

Notibility - I quite like it, I own it on my iPad and have been using it recently. A few odd things, but it might be a contender if I can't find a fix for Onenote. I especially like the meeting recording function, and if you take notes it syncs the time code. So I can simply press the word I typed and it will skip to the relevant audio, obvious "can I record this meeting" issues if you use this feature.

Evernote - I stopped using it because of a lack of full screen note view in landscape on the iPad, this seems to have been fixed but a little odd (adding a new note, no full screen, however when you modify an existing one). I also could use a few more "item markers" like in OneNote. Also the adding recording to the notes could be better integrated, ala Notability.

So where does this leave me, not quite sure just yet, if OneNote didn't perform like a dog it offers the best balance (however no integrated audio, not sure this is a deal breaker). So it's between Evernote and Notability.......the biggest difference is the audio integration (in favour of Notability) and cross platform (Notability only iOS and Mac, no Windows).

Any other suggestions/input?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
OneNote - I've used this full time for a few years, however over the past 3+ months I've noticed that it performs very badly, big lag between hitting keys on keypad and showing up on screen. I've tried re-install, without opening my existing notebooks and have the same issue. This occurred on both iOS 8.3 and now 8 beta 1. I have two folks I work with who experience the same issue. From a features point of view, it is great, I especially like the multiple text boxes, allowing me to add a second column within notes for actions and other tracking points.

Notes App - If we could change the appearance that would go a long way to me wanting to use it, however the yellow top and odd "skewmorphic" design just makes it less appealing to use.

Notibility - I quite like it, I own it on my iPad and have been using it recently. A few odd things, but it might be a contender if I can't find a fix for Onenote. I especially like the meeting recording function, and if you take notes it syncs the time code. So I can simply press the word I typed and it will skip to the relevant audio, obvious "can I record this meeting" issues if you use this feature.

Evernote - I stopped using it because of a lack of full screen note view in landscape on the iPad, this seems to have been fixed but a little odd (adding a new note, no full screen, however when you modify an existing one). I also could use a few more "item markers" like in OneNote. Also the adding recording to the notes could be better integrated, ala Notability.

So where does this leave me, not quite sure just yet, if OneNote didn't perform like a dog it offers the best balance (however no integrated audio, not sure this is a deal breaker). So it's between Evernote and Notability.......the biggest difference is the audio integration (in favour of Notability) and cross platform (Notability only iOS and Mac, no Windows).

Any other suggestions/input?

Here is how I use notes applications:

• Notes App - My general-purpose app for most basic things.
  • Notibility - I use this for more complicated notes.
  • OneNote - I only use this for work.

I'm not a fan of Evernote, and I'm not going to pay a monthly fee. So . . . these three apps do everything I need them to do.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is how I use notes applications:

• Notes App - My general-purpose app for most basic things.
  • Notibility - I use this for more complicated notes.
  • OneNote - I only use this for work.

I'm not a fan of Evernote, and I'm not going to pay a monthly fee. So . . . these three apps do everything I need them to do.

Native Notes app - General purpose
OneNote - Work
Evernote - Receipts, quotes, Bible verses, iMore/Mobile Nations stuff, various .pdf files, etc.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Evernote is great... Syncing your notes is still unsurpassed on this app.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Definitely this. As a cross platform user. Evernote syncing between phone/tablet/ios/android/desktop app/browser is unparalleled. Notes App will never be this and that is OK.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely this. As a cross platform user. Evernote syncing between phone/tablet/ios/android/desktop app/browser is unparalleled. Notes App will never be this and that is OK.

To be fair, Evernote can appear overwhelming or too much to a new user of the app, but when they figure out that they can rename, rearrange/customize it to fit their wants and needs that is when they appreciate how great it is. The new Notes app is moving in the right direction and the added functions are indeed welcomed, but it will be a while before it can dethrone Evernote., in my opinion.

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, Evernote can appear overwhelming or too much to a new user of the app, but when they figure out that they can rename, rearrange/customize it to fit their wants and needs that is when they appreciate how great it is. The new Notes app is moving in the right direction and the added functions are indeed welcomed, but it will be a while before it can dethrone Evernote., in my opinion.

Sorry if I'm wrong but when i used Evernote two years back, what i disliked was the monthly bandwidth limit for syncing for free account. And that was the reason why I chose not to use it.
Correct me if that has changed. Thanks. 😊

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are still upload limits in place, but I've never gone over. I was a premium subscription member for a while but then cancelled it and reverted back to basic. The things I upload to it 'most' are my scanned receipts. If I need to upload any large documentation, I upload it to Dropbox. Anyway, the basic options of Evernote is depicted below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435074640.119325.jpg

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
There are still upload limits in place, but I've never gone over. I was a premium subscription member for a while but then cancelled it and reverted back to basic. The things I upload to it 'most' are my scanned receipts. If I need to upload any large documentation, I upload it to Dropbox. Anyway, the basic options of Evernote is depicted below.

View attachment 83800

I'm sure 60MB is more than enough for text notes. You find adding receipts, web clips and other scans doesn't get one go over 60MB?
Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure 60MB is more than enough for text notes. You find adding receipts, web clips and other scans doesn't make one go over 60MB?
Thanks.

No, not at all. I use Evernote's scannable app which is excellent, in my opinion, and I have my scanned notes defaulted to save as .pdf files. Besides, how many receipts / notes will the average person upload per day? Think about it. Once the data is uploaded, it's there to view whenever you want and many of them will be 'retrieved' so that negates uploading it again. An example would be notes containing photos of your electronics. I have a folder specifically for property along with photos displaying the model and serial numbers. I won't need to upload that info again and subtract from my monthly upload limit. There's no issue with how much to store, but only in how much to upload within a given month's time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro