The iOS 9 unveiling didn't "wow" me

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The iOS unveiling at the WWDC did not wow me with its new features and I must say that I am perfectly fine with that. Having read the rumors, I was not expecting there to be a slew of 'revolutionary' break-throughs. Despite this, I am more excited about iOS 9 than any of the previous unveilings. Apple's focus on speed, stability, battery, and efficiency doesn't bring the glamour. Those things are difficult to demo on stage. But I truly believe that once installed on our phones, it will lead to noticeable smoothness and reduced frustrations. If Apple truly has squashed many of the bugs, improved the experience flow, etc.....this will be very welcomed and appreciated by me. What they have done should not be understated. To reduce the update from over 4GB down to 1.3GB and to improved the battery life by an hour is no small task.

In summary, I am thrilled about iOS 9. While I enjoyed seeing the various things unveiled on stage yesterday.....it is the things we didn't 'see' yesterday that have me more excited than ever.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I think they left out a bunch of features from iOS 9 that we're already seeing (or just didn't really focus on them at all) so they'll have things to discuss at the new hardware keynote later this year. This could be a bad or good thing honestly...

Good: They were still developing functionality that just wasn't ready yet for WWDC, and this is a decently feature rich OS release.

Bad: The next generation iPhones are not really that impressive, so they needed to hold back OS functionality "perks" to use in marketing for the next gen devices.

...using iOS 9 right now, I can say that it feels like a slight polishing of iOS 8 at best. If this is the extent of the final consumer release version, I think they should have maintained that this is still iOS 8, just optimized.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I just hope that attention to iOS and the iPhone remains at the highest level. I cannot imagine why it wouldn't, considering the iPhone truly is Apple's bread and butter. But my concern is that they are so focused on the iWatch, trying to get the Apple Music service off the ground, and push out the next generation Apple TV.....that they are set to ride the waves of the 6 and 6 Plus success on to the iPhone 7 (and basically take an off year on the 'S' version and on iOS 9). Not saying at all that is what is happening, but...

That said, I was not overly sold on Apple Music. Not in the least in terms of getting me to switch from Spotify. I will certainly give it a fair shot though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That said, I was not overly sold on Apple Music. Not in the least in terms of getting me to switch from Spotify. I will certainly give it a fair shot though.
I feel the same. I'll take the 3 free months trial. I'll know after a week. Spotify works OK for me. And I'm a radio buff. So there's TuneIn Radio.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same. I'll take the 3 free months trial. I'll know after a week. Spotify works OK for me. And I'm a radio buff. So there's TuneIn Radio.

The challenge for someone like me is that having become vested in Spotify for several years, I have several thousand songs built into playlists that I used very often. So even if Apple Music offers playlist ability and contains all of these songs, I would have to be willing to take the time to re-create all of those playlists. So right from the start, I need Apple Music to offer me things that justify the sacrifice of re-creating things that took a lot of time to amass. From what I have seen, cost is not an incentive nor are the core features of this new service. I guess time will tell.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
As long as it address current issues I am good with it. I remember back in the day iOS was really solid day in and day out. Not so much the case now days.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't impressed with the keynote as a whole, but I did enjoy seeing the improvements demoed to iOS 9, Watch OS 2.0 and OS X El Capitan.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I was also expecting it to be a pretty boring update as far as new features go. Thankfully they did finally introduce split-screen multitasking, because now I'm really looking forward to updating my iPad. Glad I upgraded to the Air 2 this year after sticking with the third gen for so long.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The multitasking view in iPad does it for me. I can have my music reading app on one side and my set list in notes on the other side. I may have to forget the Watch and get at iPad Air 2. Unless I can hit the lottery. Damn You Apple.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I wasn't impressed with the keynote as a whole, but I did enjoy seeing the improvements demoed to iOS 9, Watch OS 2.0 and OS X El Capitan.

The part where Eddy Cue made his words perfectly clear when he asked Siri to play a song from "Selma" and it still played another song made me cringe.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The part where Eddy Cue made his words perfectly clear when he asked Siri to play a song from "Selma" and it still played another song made me cringe.

I know, right? You could see the annoyance in him and the other guy who used Siri in a demo from having to wait for Siri to finish what it was asked to do.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

What's weird is that he said "Play the song from Selma" (or play "a" song from Selma), and it just happens to direct to that main song that was kind of like the marketing representation of the movie? There were tons of other songs on that soundtrack and movie...it just kind of made it seem staged (which is not surprising, but I hate it when it's noticeable like that).

Every time I ask Siri to do the same, she just plays songs from Seal, lol! And I have the Selma soundtrack on my iPhone!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What's weird is that he said "Play the song from Selma" (or play "a" song from Selma), and it just happens to direct to that main song that was kind of like the marketing representation of the movie? There were tons of other songs on that soundtrack and movie...it just kind of made it seem staged (which is not surprising, but I hate it when it's noticeable like that).

Every time I ask Siri to do the same, she just plays songs from Seal, lol!
Was that Imagine Dragons song that played part of the soundtrack? My assumption is that it is a song on the soundtrack and it just happened to be what Siri played.

Either way, it was a little embarrassing. I find Eddy Cue to be sort of a bad dad-joke teller when he's on stage presenting something. I understand these guys work hard day and night to make this stuff so they want to be the ones to present it. But sometimes it seems like they don't have directors of rehearsals telling them "You might not want to go with that."

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Was that Imagine Dragons song that played part of the soundtrack? My assumption is that it is a song on the soundtrack and it just happened to be what Siri played.

Either way, it was a little embarrassing. I find Eddy Cue to be sort of a bad dad-joke teller when he's on stage presenting something. I understand these guys work hard day and night to make this stuff so they want to be the ones to present it. But sometimes it seems like they don't have directors of rehearsals telling them "You might not want to go with that."

Nah, from what I read, it misheard the song name...this was reported today on Business Insider:

He also asked Siri to play him a song from the movie "Selma." The voice assistant misheard him and played "Selene" by Imagine Dragons. He eventually got it right, but the damage was done by that point.

...and I know exactly what you mean...the whole presentation was just awkward and cringe worthy. The dancing part where the latin music cued up was like watching an older person trying to get into some new hip hop music, or using some new age slang...just say no, lol.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd equate the Music presentation to the embarrassment of Samsung's horrible keynotes.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
As long as it address current issues I am good with it. I remember back in the day iOS was really solid day in and day out. Not so much the case now days.

Agreed been having some issues lately with my messages app freezing and multiple messages coming in at once it lags a bit. Not sure if it's os related or my 6+ and it being only 1gb ram?

Sent from my  Iphone 6 plus 

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox