Apple Mail or a 3rd-party solution? - post WWDC announcement

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like me, some of you were waiting to see what changes and improvements Apple would make the to the native Mail app before committing to a possible 3rd-party solution. Now that we've gotten a glimpse of iOS 9, have you decided to stick with the native app or try one of the popular 3rd-party solutions you've been considering.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just because they didn't talk about it in the keynote doesn't mean they did nothing with Mail... I'm willing to wait and see what the public beta does when I install it...

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just because they didn't talk about it in the keynote doesn't mean they did nothing with Mail... I'm willing to wait and see what the public beta does when I install it...

Judging by screenshots of the developer beta, there is iCloud drive integration in the mail app. SO at least you'll likely have better attachment handling.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I LOVE mail on the iPhone. I have a Hotmail account which I have had since 2002. Android doesn't even let me sign into my email address on their mail equivalent so I have no choice but to use the third party outlook app. The differences between the outlook app and the mail app on iPhone are like night and day- slow and clunky on android, fast and accurate on iPhone. Theres not even a comparison because the mail is THAT much better

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I jumped that ship months ago. I wanted to stay in the apple garden but, the mail app just didn't do all I wanted it to do. I thought Apple was going to announce today big improvements to its mail app, but it was not to be. So in the mean time I'll stick with Awesome Calendar and hope that the next time around the mail app will get its much need makeover.

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I LOVE mail on the iPhone. I have a Hotmail account which I have had since 2002. Android doesn't even let me sign into my email address on their mail equivalent so I have no choice but to use the third party outlook app. The differences between the outlook app and the mail app on iPhone are like night and day- slow and clunky on android, fast and accurate on iPhone. Theres not even a comparison because the mail is THAT much better

You sure about that? This is straight from the Gmail App...

Screenshot_2015-06-08-17-14-10.jpg

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure. I've tried it multiple times. It comes up with an error message saying "set up couldn't finish. Authentication failed."

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure. I've tried it multiple times. It comes up with an error message saying "set up couldn't finish. Authentication failed."

I'm thinking it's something on your end. I just synced up one of my old Hotmail accounts. It took a few minutes to refresh and load the mail, but it worked. Did you try the manual setup?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't found a third party mail client that IMO would compete with the native app. I have email accounts from gmail, outlook, icloud and private domains. Adding and using those accounts into gmail or outlook or the others has proven less that satisfactory from my perspective. YMMV

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how much the mail app landscape has changed in the last few months, but I always used the default mail app, or Mailbox. I tried many others, they just didn't feel right.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Yup...it looks like the iCloud drive features are there, but were just not mentioned...this is an excellent bit of news actually, and makes me happy to stay with the stock Mail application. I'm guessing there are quite a few things iOS 9 will have optimized for the iPhone that they are holding off to talk about during the next gen keynote.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Like me, some of you were waiting to see what changes and improvements Apple would make the to the native Mail app before committing to a possible 3rd-party solution. Now that we've gotten a glimpse of iOS 9, have you decided to stick with the native app or try one of the popular 3rd-party solutions you've been considering.

The cool thing about Apple is that they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID, which means for many of us... we had to have a different account somewhere else just to sign up for iTunes. I have a Microsoft Account.

Can use Outlook on my iPhone when the Mail app is insufficient (which it is, when it comes to attaching documents, etc.).

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The mail app in iOS 9 allows you to add attachments now (used to be just pictures/videos):
View attachment 82832

I still hate how you have to long press and crap just to get to it, and I think the buttons are unreasonably small even on an iPhone 6 Plus. The mail app needs a thorough revamp (the dialer too, tired of having to go to Contacts to find someone when I could just start spelling names with the number pad in Android and have the suggestions pop up).

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You sure about that? This is straight from the Gmail App...

View attachment 82788

Non-Nexus devices (most if not all of them) don't come with the Google exchange package on the device, and Gmail won't see the OEM-specific Exchange client software on the device in most if not all cases. You can hack the Google packages in if you get them from APKMirror or somewhere, but they don't ship on Samsung, HTC, etc. devices by default.

OEMs are responsible for licensing Exchange themselves for use in their Android devices - because each device has to be licensed and I don't think Google wants to pay the license fees for the entirety of the Android device ecosystem themselves. That's why they dropped Exchange from consumer Gmail to begin with. It gets very expensive.

In any case, Gmail is a poor Exchange email client and Samsung/HTC have far better PIM clients and Exchange Email clients on their devices than Gmail and Google Calendar, among other things.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The cool thing about Apple is that they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID, which means for many of us... we had to have a different account somewhere else just to sign up for iTunes. I have a Microsoft Account.

What do you mean they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I still hate how you have to long press and crap just to get to it, and I think the buttons are unreasonably small even on an iPhone 6 Plus. The mail app needs a thorough revamp (the dialer too, tired of having to go to Contacts to find someone when I could just start spelling names with the number pad in Android and have the suggestions pop up).

No long press for me...I simply tap in the field and the bar comes up.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR