iOS 9.0 Developer beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My first observation is the keyboard. Upper/lower case now displayed on the keyboard keys. IMO, that's a nice touch, and one that's been long overdue.

IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0016.jpg

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I also like to see that Apple put the Spotlight/Search screen back where it belongs - swiping left from the first home page.

Also notice that it's actually called "Search" instead of "Spotlight Search".

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I also like to see that Apple put the Spotlight/Search screen back where it belongs - swiping left from the first home page.

Also notice that it's actually called "Search" instead of "Spotlight Search".

Pulling down still reveals search though, which is nice

EDIT: Swiping left brings up pro-active, swiping down brings Spotlight, not sure what the point of having spotlight and proactive is

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Pulling down still reveals search though, which is nice

EDIT: Swiping left brings up pro-active, swiping down brings Spotlight, not sure what the point of having spotlight and proactive is

I just discovered that, too. Quite by accident, I swiped down on the screen and voila! Search. (It still doesn't call it "Spotlight", even though it looks incredibly similar to Spotlight Search in iOS 8). And I noticed that Federighi kept calling it "search" and not "Spotlight" in his presentation.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with iMessage not sending from the phone number? It shows activated on my phone number, but it will only send via my iCloud account. If my wife sends a text to my phone number it will only send as text.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with iMessage not sending from the phone number? It shows activated on my phone number, but it will only send via my iCloud account. If my wife sends a text to my phone number it will only send as text.

Also, it will not allow me to change the "Start New Conversations From" setting. My phone number is selected, but its not sending from the phone number.

Edit: Checked my iPad, and the setting was changed to an email address. Changed it to my phone number on the iPad, iMessage to and from my phone number works now. So it appears the start new convos from setting does not work on my iPhone 6 plus.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
A couple of observations regarding the Task Switcher screen:

1. There is no option in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars for showing Recents and Favorites in the task switcher.
  2. The individual "panes" in the task switcher now overlap, and App name is above the image, not below, as in iOS 8.

IMG_0017.png IMG_0018.png

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah they seem to have removed contacts from the app switcher completely. Swiping right brings up a list of 4 contacts now though, not sure how it works out which contacts to show

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Anyone here who is on the beta and actually use Newsstand? What happens to the apps that are associated with Newsstand? Are they stand alone now?

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So far the iOS is running smoothly for me. There is the noticeable lag time like you see in most beta OS, but since this is not a complete overhaul it isn't as bad as it normally is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Going through Settings, I am seeing a few changes: (disclaimer: comparing iOS 9 on iPhone 5 against iOS 8.3 on iPhone 6 Plus)

• Notifications: iOS 8 options of Sort Manually or Sort by Time now Sort Order with sub-options for Recent or Manual. A new option has been added for Group By App. I haven't receive any notifications on the test phone to see what Group By App actually looks like. See screen print.
  • General: Spotlight Search is now just Search.
    New section for Car Play which appears to do a search for compatible cars in range for pairing.
    New section for USE SIDE SWITCH TO: Lock Rotation | Mute
    USAGE replaced with Storage & iCloud Usage. There is no Battery Usage stats/battery shaming at this location.
  • Display & Brightness: Display Zoom > View missing (see disclaimer above).
  • New BATTERY section that includes Low Power Mode in Settings menu (not on a submenu). See screen print.
  • Passbook and Apple Pay missing (see disclaimer above).
  • iTunes & App Store: Show All > Music, Videos removed.
  • Mail, Contacts, Calendars: New Show Contacts Found in Mail option.
  • Notes: New screen. Default Account relabeled Default Account for Siri. New field: New Notes Start With > Title | Heading | Body
  • Phone: Contact Photos in Favorites has been removed
    New setting for Calls On Other Devices > ON | OFF.
  • Messages: Text Message Forwarding possibly removed (see disclaimer above).
  • FaceTime: iPhone Cellular Calls possibly removed (see disclaimer above).
  • Safari: The General section has been reworked. Passwords & AutoFill have been separated.
    Added switch for Frequently Visited Sites > ON | OFF.
    Show Tab Bar removed.
    See screen print.
  • Music: Section redesigned. See screen print.
  • Photos & Camera: redesigned. See screen prints.
  • Podcasts: Notifications removed.

Screen prints:
IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0022.jpgIMG_0023.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

Last edited:

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Please tell me that they actually included the ability to finally have clickable URLs in the reminders app, please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Does the music app have the new look and just none of the functionality yet? I was hoping they would let devs test out the new music service like they did with the iOS 7 beta and we could use iTunes Radio.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyone here who is on the beta and actually use Newsstand? What happens to the apps that are associated with Newsstand? Are they stand alone now?

I had a few things in Newsstand, and it created a new folder and put the individual subscription apps in there like a normal app square. I just deleted them because I forgot I even subscribed to them (haven't used it in forever, lol!). As soon as I deleted all of them, the "Newsstand" square disappeared for eternity (hopefully, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro