Well I enjoyed that 😊 but.. Iphone split screen..

VlogSalad

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant keynote
Ok nothing mind blowing but love the new News app. Will definitely use. Rip off of Flipboard type apps but looks far better done.
Glad to see some nice searching features etc. Seems a more 'complete' version.
Ipad stuff blew me away by its beauty lol. Guessed it was happening of course but definitely had the pro look.
What an absolute shame they don't add detachable video to iphone. That's the only thing I've been wanting.. And haven't been expecting either I'll admit that 😌

You?

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
The iPad multi-tasking stuff was cool, I'm planning to buy an iPad next month so that feature will definitely come in handy! Excited to get Apple Pay here in the UK too!

Though.. thats about it. The rest of the keynote was rather boring and underwhelming. Transit in London only? Meh, Google Maps gives me transit out in the sticks and has done since it was launched. Apple are trying to play catchup with Google maps and they still haven't yet managed to do that.

Power saving add ons will be good I suppose. The apple music part of the presentation was terrible, no idea what apple music was until it went live on their site and I could read about it. Apple Music sounds great, far better than the presentation showed it off to be, anyway.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You guys are really not using your noggins here...lol.

Apple will almost assuredly bring these things to the iPhone, but they're not going to show that stuff ON the iPhone until they can show it on the next generation iPhone, giving a little more spark to the next generation device.

This happens every single year. I'd be willing to put a large sum of money on the fact that when the iPhone keynote creeps up in early September, we'll see most, if not all of these iPad features ported over to the iPhone (and not just the newest gen, but probably last years models too).

As far as Apple playing catchup to Google Maps...what makes you think this? Apple will never be able to "catch" Google in terms of map services, because Google Maps is one of Google's primary focuses, always has been and always will be. Apple has offered a very useful map tool with their other suite of services and features, and they are continually evolving it. It's a bit unfair to critique Apple's map program to Googles because the two companies have such a different focus on it.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Apple will almost assuredly bring these things to the iPhone, but they're not going to show that stuff ON the iPhone until they can show it on the next generation iPhone, giving a little more spark to the next generation device.

This happens every single year. I'd be willing to put a large sum of money on the fact that when the iPhone keynote creeps up in early September, we'll see most, if not all of these iPad features ported over to the iPhone (and not just the newest gen, but probably last years models too).

I love the fact that Apple are starting to bring over some of the features that make me even still have and want an android phone. Though it's going to make my decision even harder between the iPhone 7 and the Samsung Galaxy 7 lol

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I love the fact that Apple are starting to bring over some of the features that make me even still have and want an android phone. Though it's going to make my decision even harder between the iPhone 7 and the Samsung Galaxy 7 lol

What is so special about doing that? All companies cross develop features year after year...things you see on the iPhone first will eventually find their way to the Android OS, and vice versa (most times). Apple has always shown a desire to polish features until it meets their historic release characteristics...take NFC for example...it was out for years before the iPhones got it, but once the iPhone got it, NFC became a house hold name with Apple Pay.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
What is so special about doing that? All companies cross develop features year after year...things you see on the iPhone first will eventually find their way to the Android OS, and vice versa (most times). Apple has always shown a desire to polish features until it meets their historic release characteristics...take NFC for example...it was out for years before the iPhones got it, but once the iPhone got it, NFC became a house hold name with Apple Pay.

Because I can't choose between ios and Android because I like the freedom and customisation of Android while I love the stability, speed and battery strength of ios. Hence why I have both an s6 and a six plus

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Because I can't choose between ios and Android because I like the freedom and customisation of Android while I love the stability, speed and battery strength of ios. Hence why I have both an s6 and a six plus

Gotcha...your post threw me off because you said apple was "starting" to bring over the features, as if they haven't been doing that since the inception of the iPhone really.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Gotcha...your post threw me off because you said apple was "starting" to bring over the features, as if they haven't been doing that since the inception of the iPhone really.

Sorry for any confusion I caused with my post. I meant that they are starting to bring over features from Android that keep me from not wanting an Android device as well as an iPhone xd

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Well considering split-screen multitasking will only be available for the iPad Air 2, while the iPad Air, mini 2, and mini 3 only get Slide Over, I'm assuming Apple is requiring at least 2GB of RAM to use this feature and aren't just holding this feature back to push more iPhone 6s sales.

I'm sure current iPhones could support it, but with so much focus on improving performance, maybe they didn't feel 1GB was enough.

redsharktibby

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

You are 100% correct. That feature coming to iPhone 6S and/or iPhone 6S Plus will make me want to upgrade in a heartbeat. Can't tell you how frustrating it is when I'm watching an SEC college football game on a Saturday and everyone is texting me left and right and I have to either freeze the video play while using Quick Reply or wait for a commercial to exit the app and respond to the text messages. That upgrade will be absolutely huge.

Sent from my gold iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well considering split-screen multitasking will only be available for the iPad Air 2, while the iPad Air, mini 2, and mini 3 only get Slide Over, I'm assuming Apple is requiring at least 2GB of RAM to use this feature and aren't just holding this feature back to push more iPhone 6s sales.

I'm sure current iPhones could support it, but with so much focus on improving performance, maybe they didn't feel 1GB was enough.

Very possible...and while I also feel 1GB of RAM on the current devices would support such a function, makes sense to make it specific to the new gen iPhones (especially if they come with more RAM, which they almost assuredly will given the new software requirements, market trends and consumer demand).

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

NFC was not made a house hold name with Apple Pay, and neither were Mobile Payments.

People were well aware of NFC for quite a while before the iPhone got it. It's been all over the headlines, including Mobile payments with the carrier blocks etc. That's notwithstanding the tons of ads that Samsung saturated the channels with showcasing NFC and even naming it specifically in some cases.

Apple Pay did well because a lot of things were in its favor by the time Apple launched it:

1. People are a bit more security-conscious these days, with all the Snowden mess that went on.
2. The smartphone market is more mature, and bigger.
3. The Federal Government (here) is already making banks transition to NFC Bank Cards (which they are issuing right now, just got one) and so merchants are already starting to naturally transition to that type of equipment.

Back when Google launched Google Wallet, NFC on the smartphone market here was virtually unknown and no one was really moving in that direction. The technology did gain more support, even before Apple Pay, and it was quite well known by then... This is one case where Apple benefitted from waiting; and waiting also gave them a huge advantage in that they could use that spare time to hammer out agreements with banks and merchants - time that Google didn't give themselves.

The big deal about Apple pay has nothing to do with it "making anything a household name," which I frankly don't believe it did. It's that it came out of the gate with a lot of partners and Apple's agreements with those institutions is likely to make it easier for other payment systems to get more traction since they're already implementing a similar system already.

It's a lot easier to get a store that was already stocking NFC readers for Smartcard or Google Wallet to accept Apple Pay. The barrier to Entry is lower then. That's why people were excited about it. Apple getting into mobile payments is more pressure for Banks and Merchants to pull the trigger.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's ok for you to have a different opinion...my opinion is that Apple made it a house hold name by pressuring more commonly used stores and banks to get legitimately involved, making it a more useful feature than it was before (hence the "house hold name" comment). Nothing you said is news to me, and I never insinuated that Apple created NFC...I just reflected that they made it a big enough deal for the majority of the retailers and banks to finally take it seriously because there would finally be the consumer base to justify it on such a broad scale.

Lestat1886

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't agree with the first part of your message. If multitasking was to be available to older gen, it would have been presented yesterday. May be it will be exclusive to the next iphone (6s plus only?) thanks to force touch or something

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox