Photostream Error on network copy??

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I like to see each others photostreams and want them to sync automatically. My solution to this was going to be to sync my Photostream folder to her Photostream Upload folder using a syncing program called Syncback on two PC's each running a separate iCloud control panel.
Everything syncs just fine but I get a message from the iCloud control panel saying "this item is not in a supported format". Obviously they are supported jpeg files. The files land in the folder but never get uploaded. If I take the same files and transfer them across the network they upload just fine.
Anyone have a clue why it won't work with a sync from an application?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I like to see each others photostreams and want them to sync automatically. My solution to this was going to be to sync my Photostream folder to her Photostream Upload folder using a syncing program called Syncback on two PC's each running a separate iCloud control panel.
Everything syncs just fine but I get a message from the iCloud control panel saying "this item is not in a supported format". Obviously they are supported jpeg files. The files land in the folder but never get uploaded. If I take the same files and transfer them across the network they upload just fine.
Anyone have a clue why it won't work with a sync from an application?

Why photostream? That deletes after 30 days. You can share photos using iCloud Photo Sharing. And it does not use your iCloud storage.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Why photostream? That deletes after 30 days. You can share photos using iCloud Photo Sharing. And it does not use your iCloud storage.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786

Because it's not automatic. I want something that doesn't take any intervention. If it had a subscription feature that automatically posted to the share then it would be perfect. But it doesn't. It is what I've been using for a while now and will continue to until I figure out this automatic way of sharing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Because it's not automatic. I want something that doesn't take any intervention. If it had a subscription feature that automatically posted to the share then it would be perfect. But it doesn't. It is what I've been using for a while now and will continue to until I figure out this automatic way of sharing.
I don't know if there is anything like that or not. If there's not, it's for good reason. I would not want every photo I have automatically shared with my Wife. Nor would she want all my images. And vice versa. I don't want all those photos she downloads from Facebook on my phone! If we share, it'll be pick and choose. I'll look for a workaround. I think it's going to take some kind of action though. Maybe this will help.
http://heresthethingblog.com/2014/10/08/ios-8-tip-icloud-husband-apple/

I would recommend looking into dropbox which is designed to pull all photos and videos taken and place them in the cloud.

Both you and your spouse could start with the same dropbox account - and if you didn't want to see her pictures, you could make two dropbox accounts and share your picture folder with her account and she would get all your pictures but you wouldn't get hers.

Either way, once you had set up the app and the account(s), you have only to open the dropbox app on your device once you've taken one/multiple pictures and they will start pushing to your private shared storage on Dropbox for your spouse to see and use.
I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive to store my photos and videos. You get 30 free gb of storage with OneDrive, 10 free gb with Box and 2 free gb with Dropbox.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if there is anything like that or not. If there's not, it's for good reason. I would not want every photo I have automatically shared with my Wife. Nor would she want all my images. And vice versa. I don't want all those photos she downloads from Facebook on my phone! If we share, it'll be pick and choose. I'll look for a workaround. I think it's going to take some kind of action though. Maybe this will help.
http://heresthethingblog.com/2014/10/08/ios-8-tip-icloud-husband-apple/

I would recommend looking into dropbox which is designed to pull all photos and videos taken and place them in the cloud.

Both you and your spouse could start with the same dropbox account - and if you didn't want to see her pictures, you could make two dropbox accounts and share your picture folder with her account and she would get all your pictures but you wouldn't get hers.

Either way, once you had set up the app and the account(s), you have only to open the dropbox app on your device once you've taken one/multiple pictures and they will start pushing to your private shared storage on Dropbox for your spouse to see and use.
I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive to store my photos and videos. You get 30 free gb of storage with OneDrive, 10 free gb with Box and 2 free gb with Dropbox.

I understand you don't want to share every photo but that's you not me. We do want to. I understand the limitations of the current Apple workflow and I have come up with a work around. The problem with my workaround is it's not behaving as I would expect. I am looking to see if anyone knows why that way I might be able to figure something else out.

As far as the Box, Dropbox, etc. workflows. They work just fine but we don't want to manage two sets of photos. If one of those services (preferably Box as I was an early adopter that got 50gb free) had an active sync to my Photos app, meaning it would delete a photo from the cloud as I deleted them from Photos then that would be a great solution. But I don't think that is possible with the current API's and if it is nobody has implanted it yet that I know of.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
FYI
I figured it out.
The syncing program creates a temp file with a different name that is used to make sure the file gets copied successfully. It seems as though iCloud is seeing the temp file and rejecting it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal