iTunes iOS upgrade vs. OTA upgrade

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Is there any real difference between an iTunes iOS upgrade and an OTA upgrade?

Why I'm asking is that there were some glitches that I was having on the iPhone after the OTA upgrade from iOS 8.1.3 to iOS 8.2 and I decided to do a full restore of the iPhone.

I figured, what the heck? What will it cost me? Half an hour? Big deal.

So I plugged in my iPhone to my desktop, performed a backup, and then told iTunes to do an iPhone Restore. It then proceeded to download a full copy of the iOS 8.2 installation file (2.2 GBs of data) from Apple and then put the device into... I don't even know. It reloaded the OS or at least it appeared to do so. It then walked me through the whole process of restoring my iPhone backup.

Half an hour later and I'm back up and running on my iPhone, minus the weird glitches.

Why? What happened? What got fixed? How did it get fixed? What fixes were done by doing this long procedure?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I can't tell you why installing the entire OS fixed your problems as opposed to the delta update (OTA), but I can tell you that I've experienced the same in the past and I just stick to iTunes updates simply because I can. I think OTA is nice and convenient and eliminates the need for being tethered to a computer, but my preference is installing updates through iTunes.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand if you put your phone into DFU mode and do an iTunes install the entire is is removed from the phone and reinstalled.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I believe in installing via iTunes than OTA. I believe in installing a OS as a whole other than piecing a OS together which OTA. Just my thoughts but everybody will have their own opinion.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk