Anyone else have an iPhone with no "Other" usage?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Not that I'm complaining, but it seems the latest updates (or whatever) have caused my "Other" usage to disappear. The yellow shown actually doesn't show in my iTunes, but does show up in the screen capture. I've rebooted the computer (Mac Mini) and the phone numerous times.
Everything works fine, and it's been like this for a bit.
My wife's iPhone 6 has 1.64GB other shown in iTunes.

Attachments

• no-other-usage.jpg
    no-other-usage.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 44

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned above usage like web browsing and email data as well as app usage will contribute to the other section

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above usage like web browsing and email data as well as app usage will contribute to the other section
I get that. See my response above -- I've had this 6 since launch day (September something?) and have used iPhones since the original. I have a pretty good idea how they work, just wondering if anyone else has (at least what appears to be) no "other" usage.

You can see from my usage that there is a lot on here, just no "other". Maybe I have the magic elixir for getting rid of "other" on the iPhone ;)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I get that. See my response above -- I've had this 6 since launch day (September something?) and have used iPhones since the original. I have a pretty good idea how they work, just wondering if anyone else has (at least what appears to be) no "other" usage.

You can see from my usage that there is a lot on here, just no "other". Maybe I have the magic elixir for getting rid of "other" on the iPhone ;)

It appears you do

Let us know how long it lasts

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea how much "Other" I may have. I've used a 16 gb phone for 17 months and have 3.7 gb available at this time. So?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh you have Other ... whether iTunes is reporting it correctly or not is a different story ...

Yeah agreed. This is likely iTunes just not reporting other correctly. You get this from time to time then there's an iTunes update or you sync one day and it's instantly back.

As you know other is used to store a ton of normal day to day data that we all have regardless so there's no way of beating it and if you did you wouldn't have most of your phones functionality just to save a couple of Gigabytes.

Saying that are you running the latest iTunes release? I'd be interested how long it lasts and when it starts reporting again if it jumps to the full amount or gradually increases.

To be fair I know there's a few lawsuits on this but I still think it's crap that a 64GB device is actually only 55-56G. The amount of memory we are missing in comparison is half that of an iPhone 16GB model! I know how memory works but I'm just saying they should technically advertise a 56GB iPhone instead of 64. I know of friends who aren't very technical and when deciding what size device to buy they looked at the amount of music and videos they had and said well I have 12GB of music so a 16GB device will be fine which actually the logic is true except the 16 is not 16 so not all his music can fit and he's then wishing he got the bigger storage. Always sorry to hijack this I just wanted to sound off whilst we were discussing storage sizes reporting.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah agreed. This is likely iTunes just not reporting other correctly. You get this from time to time then there's an iTunes update or you sync one day and it's instantly back.

As you know other is used to store a ton of normal day to day data that we all have regardless so there's no way of beating it and if you did you wouldn't have most of your phones functionality just to save a couple of Gigabytes.

Saying that are you running the latest iTunes release? I'd be interested how long it lasts and when it starts reporting again if it jumps to the full amount or gradually increases.

To be fair I know there's a few lawsuits on this but I still think it's crap that a 64GB device is actually only 55-56G. The amount of memory we are missing in comparison is half that of an iPhone 16GB model! I know how memory works but I'm just saying they should technically advertise a 56GB iPhone instead of 64. I know of friends who aren't very technical and when deciding what size device to buy they looked at the amount of music and videos they had and said well I have 12GB of music so a 16GB device will be fine which actually the logic is true except the 16 is not 16 so not all his music can fit and he's then wishing he got the bigger storage. Always sorry to hijack this I just wanted to sound off whilst we were discussing storage sizes reporting.

As far as I know. Any storage device/hard drive have system files and so forth that take up space.
Been this way on every hard drive I have owned.
Users have to manage drive space. It's just not that deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know. Any storage device/hard drive have system files and so forth that take up space.
Been this way on every hard drive I have owned.
Users have to manage drive space. It's just not that deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I'm referring to the capacity not available space. Any stored data doesn't come out of capacity size.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried a few things last night, like disabling and re-enabling items and the yellow showed up at the end intermittently ... I was able to determine 245mb of other which is quite good. It disappeared a few times and then came back. Haven't checked this morning.
All apps are up to date.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2