iOS 8.1.3 is out now. Post feedback here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't take that much space. The big iOS update to 8 did, but these are much smaller. It shouldn't take more than about double the downloaded size of the file.
What I thought. But it's a good excuse to clean house. I uploaded many photos to Box I was procrastinating with. Deleted apps I don't use. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
They fixed the spotlight app big. THANK GOD.

outside of that I havent noticed anything different. The smaller install requirements are a nice touch and show Apple is paying some attention to what people are saying.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It must have been server slamming, but my iPad took forever to download. My iPhone updated in less than 10 minutes start to finish. The iPad took about 45 minutes just to download.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Updated my iPad2 via a "restore" through iTunes (my "Other" had gotten too large, a restore is the only way to clear it). I am not noticing any change of performance. Doing exactly the same with my iPhone 5 now. Waited until now so I don't get any phone call interruptions, this is my only phone.

jianrong

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Is it a must to backup then restore as new then restore backup? Find it troublesome to setup new again. Will old backup 8.12 files work on 8.13?

Or just click update?

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've done Carrier Update OTA and via iTunes... just depends on how/when it presents itself... and they're a good idea to do as discussed in that other thread on the topic you've posted on... :)

Um yeah... Found that thread after I asked. I just never came across it before over the 5 years I'd been with AT&T.
After I did the OTA I got a pop up while playing music on my Mac stating there was one so I just went to About on my iPhone and did it.

ѕenт ғroм мy ιpнone 6 υѕιng тapaтalĸ

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Is it a must to backup then restore as new then restore backup? Find it troublesome to setup new again. Will old backup 8.12 files work on 8.13?

Or just click update?

I did the "restore" route for a specific reason unrelated to the update (too-large "other" category usage of storage). I was merely waiting for an OS update to kill two birds with one stone, as the restore will also update the OS. If you're not having that issue or anything else that a restore is the usual fix, then you can just click update.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
That's the size of the update. He wants to know how much free space on the device is required. I'd assume it's still 5GB until someone can confirm otherwise.

5 GIGABYTES of free space needed? Since when? I've done OTA updates for x.y.z releases with just under 1GB free. The only times I've needed to free more than 1GB was iOS 6.x.y to iOS 7.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
5 GIGABYTES of free space needed? Since when? I've done OTA updates for x.y.z releases with just under 1GB free. The only times I've needed to free more than 1GB was iOS 6.x.y to iOS 7.

On one of the updates for 8.x.x updating OTA required that much free space.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
It's 2.05 GB through iTunes for a Plus in case anyone is wondering. Doing it as I type this. Darn VPN slowing my internet down.

mark5019

May 2, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I see different is now lags when I go landscape back to vertical it hangs in landscape
Well it's not hanging anymorr

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It must have been server slamming, but my iPad took forever to download. My iPhone updated in less than 10 minutes start to finish. The iPad took about 45 minutes just to download.

Same thing here, although you got lucky with just a 45 minute download. Yesterday afternoon (4pm ish) mine took over an hour, but once it was done it loaded fast onto the iPad. Right after it was done I hooked mine and then hubby's phone up, and a total of 10/15 minutes overall and they were both done. Very weird !

So far everything is fine as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner