icloud photo library - general questions

bmodi

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The way how the icloud photo library works is clear for me so far.

However i have a few questions, maybe someone has an idea of how this will work

1.) the idea of the photo library is clear. 1 library for all devices. However this leads me to my first question. Using the icloud photo library you are not able anymore to delete a photo from your iphone with the exception you really do not need it anymore because deleting it on your iphone will also delete it in the icloud. People who make a lot of pictures will have thousands and thousands of photos after a while. Even if on the iphone you just save a optimized version of each photo.....with an 16GB device you could face a problem after a view years.......

Does someone know if there will be somehow a possibility to delete photos on a mobile device without loosing them in the icloud. Or will this not be possible at all because it is against the idea of the "1 mediathek for all devices"??

2.) what will be the behavior for videos? The same than for photos? No chance to delete one on a mobile device without loosing it also in the icloud?

3.) Imaging you have 50.000 photos in your icloud library and lots of movies. And now you get a new iphone.........what will happen?
Will it download everything?? This could take "for ever"......??

How will this be managed?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
1. You should be able to delete photos from your camera roll that are stored in iCloud Photo Library. But not if they are just backed up to iCloud. An iCloud back up and iCloud Photo Library storage are not the same thing. Backing up to iCloud only keeps photos that are currently on your phone. If you delete a photo, then back up again, the photo is then lost in iCloud as well. But iCloud Photo Library is a storage option. Upload photos to iCloud Photo Library and you can delete them from your camera roll and they stay in iCloud Photo Library.
2. Videos are done the same as above.
3. If those 50,000 photos are stored in iCloud Photo Library, they will still be there on a new device when you log in to iCloud. So will those you have backed up in iCloud.
You only get 5 free gb of storage in iCloud. That includes what's in iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Photo Sharing, and My Photo Stream as well as what is backed up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing (Shared Photo Streams) do not count against your iCloud Storage Quota.

They are just limited in how much data you can have in a stream (and how long they can sit in there).

bmodi

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
1.) I only talk about the icloud photo library. What you write is not true -> if you delete a photo on your iphone it will also be deleted in the icloud photo library. This is the way it works at the moment. The conzept is not that it works just as a storage. Right now the mediathek is the same on all devices...in the icloud photo library as well as on our iphones and the ipad. You delete it on a device and it is gone also in the icloud library and on all other devices.....

3.) To be able to see them at least the optimized version has to be downloaded.......and even this can take a while if you have a big fat photo library.......

Looks like we really have to wait until this whole stuff gets released..........right now it does make sense for me and also it does not make sense...not really sure if i like the conzept like it is now.......

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner