iPhone 6+ renamed itself

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Today I tried to tether a Windows laptop (Win7) to my 6+ running iOS 8.1.2 (stock). I noticed the small orange/yellow shape over the WiFi status icon in the system tray, and upon further investigation, only saw one network.

Now I was expecting to see one network at minimum - mine that was based upon the iPhone 6+'s name. But the name I expected wasn't there, and instead the generic "iPhone" without quotes.

I do not remember renaming my phone at all. I could have of course done this and completely forgotten, but am certain that is not the case. Now its been a few weeks since I used tethering, but prior to the holidays, connecting the same Windows laptop to the same iPhone 6+ (different name) worked perfectly fine.

I had a naming convention of "name6+" without quotes. Unless the "+" character is unsupported, and why would it all of a sudden be since its worked perfectly fine that way for months; it feels like a bug just popped up.

The thread below references a similar situation with OS X 10.10. I've seen this happen with older OS X versions.

Is there an iOS 8.1.x bug (didn't get any obvious clues when searching around), or am I imagining things?

http://forums.imore.com/os-x-yosemite-10-10/304804-my-computer-name-changing-10-10-a.html

Last edited:

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Silly me. Just read this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6614211 and remembered that I did reset Network Settings over this past weekend to troubleshoot a SIM activation problem. Didn't realize that apparently resetting Network also resets the phone name to "iPhone" (indicated in the Apple Support Forums thread about 2/3 down the page).

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's annoying that resetting network settings resets the device name. I found out this back in September when I had to reset network settings to resolve a wifi issue and then found various instances of backups etc because of the instances of the same device with diff names. Wish it wouldn't happen!