Why we use iOS

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Guys you are taking my comments out of context, I'm not saying all people haven't experienced many different cell phones, I'm sure many folks will come here and say I've had this platform and that platform.... But I will say most people have not experienced or used that many different mobile OS and familiarity is a key component as to why they use one brand over another. This isn't rocket science and extends to the concept of branding as a business principle. What's the argument about?

Genuinely, I think a lot of us have taken Acadia11's 1st comment out of context and not as he meant it. I did at first but when you think about it, he's pretty right for 90% of the iPhone users out there.

Bare in mind that forum members are generally a little more tech geeky than the large majority of smartphone users and have naturally dabbled with various platforms out of curiosity of because we wanted a change.

He clearly interpreted the OP's question as why he thinks people (in general) use iOS, and answers accordingly. Honestly, I've tried a few os's and just returned from a longish stint on android, but honestly, nearly everyone I know with an iPhone hasn't and stay with it cos it's comfortable. Nothing wrong with that, my wife is one of them.

Back on topic, I use it as for the time being, it's the best os for my needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The topic of the thread is Why we use iOS. Not Why Acadia11 thinks we use iOS.
It's easy to get a little hot under the collar when someone says you use a platform because of this and I'll tell you why you use it.
Only the user themselves knows why they use a certain platform.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Why we use IOS

Please read the definition of the word "you"

It's an observation and if a comment ruffles your feathers that much , you have issues.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Everyone is all serious and I'm over here like...

"I got my first iPhone cause it was blue!"

Who cares! Just like what you like, do what you do, and enjoy it.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
The topic of the thread is Why we use iOS. Not Why Acadia11 thinks we use iOS.
It's easy to get a little hot under the collar when someone says you use a platform because of this and I'll tell you why you use it.
Only the user themselves knows why they use a certain platform.

I agree, but what I was trying to say was that Acadia was making a generalisation, which in a lot of cases is true.

As a generalisation, it shouldn't have been taken personally, he never said "I think iEd uses iOS because he hasn't tried another os'

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree, but what I was trying to say was that Acadia was making a generalisation, which in a lot of cases is true.

As a generalisation, it shouldn't have been taken personally, he never said "I think iEd uses iOS because he hasn't tried another os'

You can call it what you want but it's just a troll post in my opinion. All I asked is for people to explain to others why they use iOS. Not a generalization why "most of you" have used this or that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's simple most of you haven't tried anything else so have no real point of comparison. This is why most people use any product, they are comfortable with it, and a lack of experience with something different.

Nothing taken personal.
But to generalize that "most of you" "haven't tried anything else" is a poor assumption. And "lack of experience" is condescending and also a poor assumption because a user chooses a platform what works best for them.

I just bought a MacBook Air recently. I could have gotten a Windows machine for say a lot less money . Getting a Mac doesn't interrupt my work flow getting a Windows machine would. It's not that I believe Windows is inferior it's I gotta keep it moving no time for a pause in the flow.
Up and running in a matter of minutes with everything from my older Mac.

Getting a BB Z30 would interrupt my work flow a iPhone wouldn't.

So myself and many other choose iOS because it works for us and not for lack of experience with other platforms. For some having experience on other platforms is why they choose iOS.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Why we use IOS

I agree with all the above. I had a crappy android two years ago, the ZTE Engage, and my god it was a pain in the a$$. It always froze, lagged, randomly shut itself off, it was just hell using it as a daily driver. Then I finally tried iOS and was at peace. Sure iOS has its fair share of bugs but compared to android, it is far more stable and far more reliable for me as a daily driver. As people said it just "works". I've hated on Apple and the iPhones when I had my android, but that's probably because I was secretly jealous of everyone who had an iPhone and envied how happy they were with their phones and how much I suffered with mine. But now that I have my own, I could not be happier with my driver. Never going back to Android.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Way to emotional people are here, which proves my point. Maybe we should just take a survey, smartphones became common place about the time the iPhone came about. Please let me know how many people here who use smart phones , their first was an iPhone.

Unless you used Palm, or later blackberries , there weren't many choices in the smart phone arena. Android didn't exist until 5 years ago, the App Store in iOS didn't exist until iOS 3.0, until recently could you hop about phone to phone and fact is most people don't change their phones that often to even have had the time to try many different flavors, because so many different flavors didn't exist until the last 2 or 3 years. So you can argue with me , fine, but don't pretend like people have had all this time to use so many different types of smart phones because the smartphone market is fairly new.

Oh boy....do you REALLY want me to do this????? OK....let me show you how ridiculously incorrect your generalisations are....
Let's start with personal
2002-Audiovox Pocket PC- Windows
2004- Siemens SX66 - Windows
2005-HPiPAQ- Windows
2006 - Treo - Palm
2007 - something Jack, can't remember - Windows
2007 - BlackBerry 8310 - BBOS
2008 - BlackBerry 9000 - BBOS
2009 - BlackBerry 9700 - BBOS
iPhone 3GS - iOS
2010 - BlackBerry 9800 - BBOS
Motorola Atrix - Android
2011 - BlackBerry 9810, 9900, 9860, 9370
iPhone 4s - iOS
Samsung Skyrocket - Android
2012 - iPhone 5 - iOS
2013 - BlackBerry Z10 - BB10
Samsung SG3 - Android
Iphone 5s - iOS
2014 - BlackBerry Q10 - BB10
iPhone 6
Samsung Note 4
Lumia 1520 - Windows

By the way, I use three lines so I use three platforms concurrently, so your statement about changing all the time being impossible is just plain incorrect.

Now....let's do work...
2004 - BlackBerry 6210
2006 - BlackBerry (black phone can't remember model)
2007 - BlackBerry 8703
2008 - BlackBerry 8810
2009 - BlackBerry 8520
2010 - BlackBerry 9650
2012 - BlackBerry 9930 (two because one bricked itself)
2014 - Samsung Note 2 as part of a pilot to move away from BlackBerry
2014 - Samsung SG5 with Good Technology as a move away from BlackBerry is finalised

So......do you REALLY want to go off making incorrect assumptions about what people use/don't use? Next time you make such ridiculous remarks, you will be challenged, absolutely. And you will lose face, absolutely.

Oh.....2015.....iPhone 6s Plus (or whatever it's called) since I've gone off BlackBerry for good and I've found my sweet spot with iOS and Android with a dash of Windows thrown in.

Last edited:

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Why we use IOS

The definition of

most

adjective, superl. of much or many with more as compar.
in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number:
to win the most votes.

in the majority of instances:
Most operations are successful.

Many

adjective, more, most.
constituting or forming a large number; numerous:
many people.
noting each one of a large number (usually followed by a or an):
For many a day it rained.

All

adjective
the whole of (used in referring to quantity, extent, or duration):
all the cake; all the way; all year.
the whole number of (used in referring to individuals or particulars, taken collectively):
all students.

Notice I did not say all?!?!?! And who said you can't use more than one platform at a time, I said most people don't, I carried z10 and 5s, myself. Will try this again very few things are absolute, and most people I would say use the platform of choice because of comfort, familiarity, and most do not have that much experience with many than one platform.

Last edited:

mmcfly23

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
High quality 1st and 3rd party support, great customer service/support, build quality, and ease of use are the main reasons why I use iOS.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all the above. I had a crappy android two years ago, the ZTE Engage, and my god it was a pain in the a$$. It always froze, lagged, randomly shut itself off, it was just hell using it as a daily driver. Then I finally tried iOS and was at peace. Sure iOS has its fair share of bugs but compared to android, it is far more stable and far more reliable for me as a daily driver. As people said it just "works". I've hated on Apple and the iPhones when I had my android, but that's probably because I was secretly jealous of everyone who had an iPhone and envied how happy they were with their phones and how much I suffered with mine. But now that I have my own, I could not be happier with my driver. Never going back to Android.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Well, thankfully Android has come a long way since you last used it "2 years ago". I can remember having these same issues that you mention here on both my iPad Air and iPhones with past iOS versions.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

j800rl

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree about the other guy likely trolling. Nobody took you to mean people in general. As to why I use iOS? Hmm

Well, I've owned an iMac since August 2010 and have been extremely happy/impressed with the Apple experience and how everything "just works" as people have said. My first "smartphone" was a Blackberry Curve 8520 and I don't know if you could even call it a smartphone. It was terrible and could barely do anything outside of email and some very basic browsing (and bbm of course).

When my upgrade date finally game April 2013 I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Ace II and the difference was incredible! I finally had a complete smartphone. However there were many downsides to Android I didn't like. Such as performance and reliability as well as almost never getting updates.

Switched to iOS with my new iPhone 6 around a month ago (fast track upgrade by paying off remainder of my device plan) due to me trusting the Apple brand being a Mac user and couldn't be happier. I have found my home in the smartphone world and if anything it may be a little BETTER than my Mac experience. Everything just works in a way I've never seen before. Everything's fast and fluid, performance even in the most demanding of games is outstanding and the UI is gorgeous! I feel like Apple are playing catchup since Lollipop.

Android has its strengths, but I use iOS for the reasons stated above.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The definition of

most

adjective, superl. of much or many with more as compar.
in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number:
to win the most votes.

in the majority of instances:
Most operations are successful.

Many

adjective, more, most.
constituting or forming a large number; numerous:
many people.
noting each one of a large number (usually followed by a or an):
For many a day it rained.

All

adjective
the whole of (used in referring to quantity, extent, or duration):
all the cake; all the way; all year.
the whole number of (used in referring to individuals or particulars, taken collectively):
all students.

Notice I did not say all?!?!?! And who said you can't use more than one platform at a time, I said most people don't, I carried z10 and 5s, myself. Will try this again very few things are absolute, and most people I would say use the platform of choice because of comfort, familiarity, and most do not have that much experience with many than one platform.
Are you labouring under the misconception that I haven't got a good command of the English language, and you feel the necessity to embark on a vocabulary lesson?

Or are you unable to admit that you're throwing weak and unsubstantiated generalisations, peppered with multiple qualifying adjectives, in hopes of leaving yourself a way out of indefensible arguments?

Your argument is baseless.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Why we use IOS

Are you labouring under the misconception that I haven't got a good command of the English language, and you feel the necessity to embark on a vocabulary lesson?

Or are you unable to admit that you're throwing weak and unsubstantiated generalisations, peppered with multiple qualifying adjectives, in hopes of leaving yourself a way out of indefensible arguments?

Your argument is baseless.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

No, I'm responding to the implication that I somehow implied that "all" people use the iPhone for the reasons I described when I did no such thing. I'm further responding to the post that somehow I stated that no one has used multiple platforms or is experienced in them , I also did not make this claim.

And if you think that familiarity, comfort, and lack of experience is not a key component or a major reason that most people or many people in this case would use a particular brand then so be it. And again I would argue you know nothing about business. I'm not knocking anyone for this , nor is this damnation of these people it's quite rooted in human nature. It's the same reason that many people have never dated outside of their own race, or don't leave from their hometown or region. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone , and of course over time these things change. And of course as the smartphone market gets older and more people have owned a smart and get access to them it will change. But I still stand by my argument that you think is so unsubstantiated.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we could stick to answering/discussing the OP's question: "WHY we use iOS". Why does every thread have to be derailed by one person wanting to stir the pot with some indefensible tangent? Can we be adults and just discuss various tech topics without descending into pettiness?

I remember when TiPb used to be a nice place to visit and share.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe we could stick to answering/discussing the OP's question: "WHY we use iOS". Why does every thread have to be derailed by one person wanting to stir the pot with some indefensible tangent? Can we be adults and just discuss various tech topics without descending into pettiness?

I remember when TiPb used to be a nice place to visit and share.

I second this. Every damn post that we actually would like to be something relevant always gets turned in to trash by someone with nothing better to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You know, there is another great reason I forgot to mention about why I like iOS.

I really love it when they release a jailbreak. It's a blast some of the tweaks we have.

Sure Android is easily customized too but there is just something exciting about navigating Cydia...