Why we use iOS

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I use it for the simple fact that I have an addiction to Apple products that is worse than crack at this point. Only difference is, I don't have to rob a bank to support my Apple/iOS addiction. :D

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Good point, Rose. No need to rob a bank. The iOS devices hold their resale value very well. Sell the old, buy the new.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I said most people, not all people, and I'm not saying that people don't like their iOS devices for its features, what I'm saying is the vast majority of people have little to know experience outside the ecosystem of choice. Whether it's iOS or android or bb10, etc... Why would they?

"Little to know experience"? Awesome.

If you read through the thread, you will see that many people have either previously used other brands/platforms. Some even continue to use multiple devices from multiple platforms. I guess we could dissect the meaning of "some", "many" and "most", but suffice it to say that "most people" have, contrary to your premise, used devices on other platforms before settling on Apple's iOS.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
"Little to know experience"? Awesome.

If you read through the thread, you will see that many people have either previously used other brands/platforms. Some even continue to use multiple devices from multiple platforms. I guess we could dissect the meaning of "some", "many" and "most", but suffice it to say that "most people" have, contrary to your premise, used devices on other platforms before settling on Apple's iOS.

Even a person like me who used to be a gung-ho "Androidian", I still ended up setting aside my ridiculous judgements to get a 5c. Now here I am with a Mini 3, 5c, 5s and still using my Note 3 too.

People only put themselves in a box big enough as their perspective.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally use iOS because it works pretty smoothly right out of the box. I've used a BlackBerry for several years as my first smartphone, and I really liked that with the physical keyboard but I found that the app selection was quite lacking. When I switched to iPhone it was like a whole other world! I like how apps tend to be developed for iOS first, and they tend to be more polished than their Android counterparts. I used a Nexus 5 for a while too and that's what I discovered with the apps I use the most. There are some apps like Twitter that I thought were just fine on both iOS and Android, but many I missed the look and capabilities in the iOS version. I also like that iPhone tends to work the way I want it to without me fiddling around with it too much. While I loved the customization options in Android, it was hard for me to get it just the way I wanted...with iOS because I know I can't customize it as much as I would want it to, I think I appreciate it more for just "working" and not having to fuss with icons, etc. OH and accessories, especially cases, are plentiful for the iPhone! ;)

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Why we use IOS

Even a person like me who used to be a gung-ho "Androidian", I still ended up setting aside my ridiculous judgements to get a 5c. Now here I am with a Mini 3, 5c, 5s and still using my Note 3 too.

People only put themselves in a box big enough as their perspective.

Way to emotional people are here, which proves my point. Maybe we should just take a survey, smartphones became common place about the time the iPhone came about. Please let me know how many people here who use smart phones , their first was an iPhone.

Unless you used Palm, or later blackberries , there weren't many choices in the smart phone arena. Android didn't exist until 5 years ago, the App Store in iOS didn't exist until iOS 3.0, until recently could you hop about phone to phone and fact is most people don't change their phones that often to even have had the time to try many different flavors, because so many different flavors didn't exist until the last 2 or 3 years. So you can argue with me , fine, but don't pretend like people have had all this time to use so many different types of smart phones because the smartphone market is fairly new.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Why we use IOS

Way to emotional people are here, which proves my point. Maybe we should just take a survey, smartphones became common place about the time the iPhone came about. Please let me know how many people here who use smart phones , their first was an iPhone.

Unless you used Palm, or later blackberries , there weren't many choices in the smart phone arena. Android didn't exist until 5 years ago, the App Store in iOS didn't exist until iOS 3.0, until recently could you hop about phone to phone and fact is most people don't change their phones that often to even have had the time to try many different flavors, because so many different flavors didn't exist until the last 2 or 3 years. So you can argue with me , fine, but don't pretend like people have had all this time to use so many different types of smart phones because the smartphone market is fairly new.

.... And many of them have used many different platforms in the past 2-3 years. Your point it moot. You have to remember that technology moves at a much faster pace than almost anything else. Again, you aren't making any sense. The age of the smart market has nothing to do with it. And they aren't pretending either.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

GSOgymrat

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Please let me know how many people here who use smart phones , their first was an iPhone.

My first couple of smartphones were Android and then I had three Windows Phones. Before iPhone 6 Plus I never considered iPhone because their screens were too small. The only Apple product I've ever own was an iPad but I got rid of it when Surface was released, so I don't have own an iPhone because I find it comfortable or familiar. I never even owned an iPod.

FlashFlare11

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, this thread came up on my Tapatalk feed so I'll take it as a happy coincidence. This is my first post on iMore as an iPhone owner so, Hello!

I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for about 9 days now. It's my first ever iPhone and the first non-BlackBerry device I've ever owned. My first device was a Pearl 8230, which then was upgraded to a Torch 9810, then a Z10 on release day, and a Z30 this past March.

What I can say is that I've truly loved having an iPhone these past few days. I used to talk down about iOS and iPhone, but the truth was that I had never given it a fair try. Sure, there are some things I prefer about BlackBerry 10 than I do about iOS, but iOS really is the operating system which gives its users the most uncompromising experience. I have everything I could want and need right here on my iPhone. And it all just works. No sideloading, no freezing, no restarting. It just works.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
.... And many of them have used many different platforms in the past 2-3 years. Your point it moot. You have to remember that technology moves at a much faster pace than almost anything else. Again, you aren't making any sense. The age of the smart market has nothing to do with it. And they aren't pretending either.

Of course the age, has something to do with it, because it dictates when options were available.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Of course the age, has something to do with it, because it dictates when options were available.

Wrong. Just because the smart phone market is 2-3 years old as you say, that does nothing to prove your bogus claim that no one can have used multiple platforms.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Why we use IOS

My first couple of smartphones were Android and then I had three Windows Phones. Before iPhone 6 Plus I never considered iPhone because their screens were too small. The only Apple product I've ever own was an iPad but I got rid of it when Surface was released, so I don't have own an iPhone because I find it comfortable or familiar. I never even owned an iPod.

Guys you are taking my comments out of context, I'm not saying all people haven't experienced many different cell phones, I'm sure many folks will come here and say I've had this platform and that platform.... But I will say most people have not experienced or used that many different mobile OS and familiarity is a key component as to why they use one brand over another. This isn't rocket science and extends to the concept of branding as a business principle. What's the argument about?

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Guys you are taking my comments out of context, I'm not saying all people haven't experienced many different sell phones, I'm sure many of folks will come here and say I've had this platform and that platform.... But I will say most people have not experienced or used that many different mobile OS and familiarity is a key component as to why they use one brand over another. This isn't rocket science and extends to the concept of branding as a business principle. What's the argument about?

But most people who have used multiple OS's will tell you that iOS is best. By far. It's not close. There's many reasons for this. And I hope I don't have to go into stating the obvious.

I'm sure you think bb10 is nice but it isn't. It's complete crap. Now I'm not saying you're not capable of determining if an OS is crap or not. Most people aren't. This merely extends to the concept that most people are idiots as a business principle which may or may not apply to rocket science and could even extend to branding later.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys you are taking my comments out of context, I'm not saying all people haven't experienced many different sell phones, I'm sure many of folks will come here and say I've had this platform and that platform.... But I will say most people have not experienced or used that many different mobile OS and familiarity is a key component as to why they use one brand over another. This isn't rocket science and extends to the concept of branding as a business principle. What's the argument about?

This is funny...

You provided a definition for "you" earlier in the thread, but I can't help but giggle at your misuse of words and grammar.

Sorry, I got sidetracked...carry on! LOL

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Why we use IOS

This is funny...

You provided a definition for "you" earlier in the thread, but I can't help but giggle at your misuse of words and grammar.

Sorry, I got sidetracked...carry on! LOL

Word! Your command of the English language must make you a bonafide Mensa member. How many languages do you speak, 3, 4, 5? You are more impressive then this autocorrect thingamajig- can I hire you instead. I'm sure your career took off the minute everyone realized what an incredible forum spell checker and editor you'd become. Your powers of proofreading are unparalleled!

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
But most people who have used multiple OS's will tell you that iOS is best. By far. It's not close. There's many reasons for this. And I hope I don't have to go into stating the obvious.

I'm sure you think bb10 is nice but it isn't. It's complete crap. Now I'm not saying you're not capable of determining if an OS is crap or not. Most people aren't. This merely extends to the concept that most people are idiots as a business principle which may or may not apply to rocket science and could even extend to branding later.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think bb10 is dayum good for many things over iOS. Productivity and business communication it's not even close, outlook integration and calendar is light years ahead of iOS. However, there are many things iOS does much better than bb10. Overall, I find using either I am making a trade off - imho neither is perfect but in life what is?

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm in I.T. And I have to agree that reliability is the reason I switched to iOS, I was a long time android user and still have a place for it in my heart but it still has a lot to change before I can use it again on a day to day, because of my line of work I need my phone to be working at all times and the last thing I want to be doing is fiddling with issues on my phone, so far I am very happy with my 5s and 6 plus.

Sent from my iPhone

Jyscal

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Like many users in this thread, I've used many other platforms, but always end up back on iOS. For me, it starts with the fact that it's super smooth. My 6 Plus stutters sometime, but it's the exception. Next reason is app quality. iOS has better apps. At least the ones I use. Lastly the big thing that drew me back was Touch ID. It works very well for me and allows me to secure my phone very easily.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, this thread came up on my Tapatalk feed so I'll take it as a happy coincidence. This is my first post on iMore as an iPhone owner so, Hello!

I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for about 9 days now. It's my first ever iPhone and the first non-BlackBerry device I've ever owned. My first device was a Pearl 8230, which then was upgraded to a Torch 9810, then a Z10 on release day, and a Z30 this past March.

What I can say is that I've truly loved having an iPhone these past few days. I used to talk down about iOS and iPhone, but the truth was that I had never given it a fair try. Sure, there are some things I prefer about BlackBerry 10 than I do about iOS, but iOS really is the operating system which gives its users the most uncompromising experience. I have everything I could want and need right here on my iPhone. And it all just works. No sideloading, no freezing, no restarting. It just works.

Congratulations on your iPhone 6+.
coming from blackberry 10 you should try downloading acompli.
Acompli Email by Acompli
https://appsto.re/us/fJ2BX.i

It's a the equivalent to blackberry 10s hub on iOS.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Why we use IOS

I actually started my mobile computing journey before smartphones.
Palm pilot
Psion series 3
Philips nin?
I have been a user of every major mobile os since (and some minor).
Usually starting with the launch device.

Fyi: iOS App Store came in 2008 with iOS 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234