Copying ONLY photos and SMS messages from old phone to new jailbroken iPhone

dmchen

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 5 and am about to get an iPhone 6 now that the jailbreak is out. Most advice I have read is that it is better and safer to start from scratch (reinstall all my apps and tweaks, reapply all my settings manually, etc.) than restore my data (know this is controversial, some have said they have done a restore and had no issues, but I would rather start fresh with a clean phone...will also force me to clean out lots of apps I never use).

However, the 2 things I want to make sure get brought over are my SMS messages and my photos and videos in my camera roll (I do not use iCloud or photostream, I back everything up to a local computer backup via iTunes). Is there a way to ONLY transfer those over...obviously I can get them over with a full restore but that brings everything else along with it. It seems like there are some 3rd party apps that do this, but not sure how well they work.

Has anybody used one recently that works well (some I have seen seem potentially outdated so not sure they work with current iOS versions), or are there other ways to do this without a 3rd party app?

Thanks very much.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Upload them to Dropbox, OneDrive, etcetera, and then use the associated app to download them onto your new iPhone 6 when you get it. In regard to SMS messages, I do not know.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can email your SMS messages to yourself. Toggle off iMessage. Then press on a bubble to bring up " More". Mark all messages you want to transfer, and tap the arrow in the bottom right. This gives you the option to forward the messages. Enter your email address and hit send. Your messages will go to your email address. From there you can drop in a folder for storage or copy and paste to the Notes app. You can keep there, or tap the arrow at the bottom and send them to yourself iMessage.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

dmchen

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. Not to be too picky, but I would ideally like to "import" them back to my new phone so they are in the same place. E.g. the photos are in my camera roll and the SMS messages are in the message app so I can still see the thread history of each person when I send them new messages. Is this possible?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
It is with a Mac or PC and to encrypt the backup but not sure since your iPhone is jail broken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmchen

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
So no way to copy photos from old phone into photostream of new phone and also no way of copying messages so message threads are preserved (like a restore would do, but only for these 2 items). No 3rd party apps that do this that anyone has used successfully recently?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So no way to copy photos from old phone into photostream of new phone and also no way of copying messages so message threads are preserved (like a restore would do, but only for these 2 items). No 3rd party apps that do this that anyone has used successfully recently?
Use Box or Dropbox for photos. Upload them from the old phone to the App, then on the new phone download Box or Dropbox and log in. Your photos will be there. Then download them to your camera roll if you wish. Or leave in those apps to save space on your phone. For messages, the only thing I know to do is what I said before. Forward to email. Copy and paste to Notes app. Then send to new iMessage thread.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

anon(9179520)

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
^^^ Copytrans?

For photo transfer, I use PhotoSync. It is a paid app, but well worth it in my opinion. You can use it to backup your photos to your computer in the future, over wifi. It knows to only backup the new photos each time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro