iOS 8.1 Battery Issue; Usage/.Standby Time Identical

bsr95

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Yo.
I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 8.1. This afternoon I noticed that the usage/standby times on it have been identical all day; e.g. an hour ago both usage and standby were listed as 13h 43m. That's always a bad sign, but i can't seem to find the source of the drain. Thankfully, battery life hasn't taken a huge hit, but there definitely was some drain going on with it steadily dropping percentage little by little while not using it. I did not measure it but it was just enough to notice something was up. This bug did occur before, just 4 days ago in fact, but i didn't bother running tests that time and just did a software restore. That did ward the problem off for a few days, but not for long obviously. As this is the case, I don't think another restore is going to be worth my time. Also, the battery itself is fine, as i replaced it myself a few months ago.

Here's some steps i took to troubleshoot the issue:

*In the "battery shaming" section i could not find anything amiss aside from the usual oddly excessive Home and Lock Screen usage and Safari's usage being rather high for how little i had used it; but even after force-closing it and the other apps that were high on the list, the usage time still climbed at the same rate.
*I tried turning off Background App Refresh for all apps, to no effect.
*I couldn't find anything that was using location services excessively and I don't have anything using geofences.
*I even put the phone into airplane mode, to absolutely no effect.
*A soft reset also had no effect; I then tried a hard reset, but of course after that the usage/standby times are reset until you fully recharge it so i can't test if the drain is still there until it recharges.

Judging from the above, it seems to be iOS itself causing problems. If it were a third party app, it would likely stop running after turning off Background App Refresh, or it would show high up in "battery shaming." If it were internet services like push or location, the problem would stop in airplane mode.

Was going to try talking to Apple about it, but there's no way i'm paying $19 for a support session to just be told to turn off location services.

Some theories:
*Wild theory: Both days this occurred, i had made a phone call (shocker) earlier in the morning. Somehow related?? (I never make phone calls)
*Another theory: Possible bug in iCloud Photo Library? It IS listed as a beta after all. Nothing seems amiss tho.
*More theory: A bug in which the usage/standby meter is broken and is just spewing crap and the battery drain is in my head. Definitely possible; someone did report a nonfunctional usage/standby meter in Apple Support Communities but no one replied so idk.

Anyone else having problems like this? Anyone else have any theories? Anyone else have advice? Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My guess is a bad / corrupt installation of iOS 8.1 or a bad restore. I recommend you restore your device as new and see if things improve.

bsr95

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Checking back in. Well, the problem still remains... Thankfully the battery drain is so minimal; with moderate use today i was only at 51% by the end of the day. Starting to like my broken-battery-counter theory.

My guess is a bad / corrupt installation of iOS 8.1 or a bad restore. I recommend you restore your device as new and see if things improve.

You may well be right. Gonna wait awhile before going that route again tho. I hate restores.

frankiez87

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi i using an iphone and hot same issue like u, i tried all methode to increase batterry life, disable app backgroung refresh, disable location access, disable siri, hard reset, soft reset, clean install, restore from icloud, delete my icloud backup and set as new phone, even i replace my battery yesterday, but no effect battery still draining so fvckn fast i dont knoww why

bsr95

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Decided to do a reset and not restore from iCloud. We'll see if that helps. Did it to my iPad too BECAUSE I CAN.

qisdtech

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
One more piece to this puzzle. Since doing the reset and setup as new a week ago, I have not noticed this bug return, until I powered down and restarted my iPhone 6 last night. Then it returned. I had to charge to 100%, then power off and restart phone again to get the usage counters to read correctly. The battery percentage appears to be draining 1-2% per hour "more" than what I have seen when the counters are working correctly.

varucell

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having this exact same issue, but I really dont want to have to reset my phone again. Apple needs to fix these updates. Kinda driving me crazy to have have issues with every update I put on my phone.

bsr95

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Have not had the issue recur after my full reset so far, thank God, but i'll keep you posted if i have any more problems. Remember when Apple products "just worked"? Now I'm having all kinds of trouble syncing music with iTunes 12...

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
After installing iOS 8.1, I definitely had worse battery life on my iphone 6. I waited a couple days and it didn't get better so I did a restore and it didn't solve the problem. A couple days ago, I turned off the notifications for Apple pay (in settings, each card has a setting for receiving notifications). Since then, my battery life is better than it was on 8.0.2.

bsr95

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
So, starting yesterday morning, the problem came back for the third time. I restored my iPhone once again; from backup this time cuz obviously thats not the problem. Can't wait for an iOS 8.1.1

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I was having the same issue as the OP, however I had a bluetooth device paired (A Pebble Watch) so it was showing usage the same as standby. I don't know if this could be the cause of the standby/usage being the same for others. I was not having the draining issues others have had however.

bsr95

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
The issue has AGAIN returned for me; its relentless. Guess we'll have to wait for iOS 8.1.1. Also still can't believe how totally screwed iTunes 12's iPhone sync is.

I was having the same issue as the OP, however I had a bluetooth device paired (A Pebble Watch) so it was showing usage the same as standby. I don't know if this could be the cause of the standby/usage being the same for others. I was not having the draining issues others have had however.

I don't even have bluetooth on, but that could be the problem for a lot of people out there. Good of you to report ur fix.

GrandMasterB

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
The issue has AGAIN returned for me; its relentless. Guess we'll have to wait for iOS 8.1.1. Also still can't believe how totally screwed iTunes 12's iPhone sync is.

I don't even have bluetooth on, but that could be the problem for a lot of people out there. Good of you to report ur fix.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Driving me absolutely nuts!

jeremybeny

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello every one, I have the same issue with my iphone 5c with ios 8.2, I tried everything listed above and no improvement at all. does anyone found the solution? I'm going crazy too! it was a gift for my wife and now i feel so bad everyday knowing that she can't go out from the house and come back with battery.

PeteStarks

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
In my experience this is an app issue more than an iOS issue. I guess we could call it an iOS issue, because if the battery monitor was at all useful(correct) it would save lots of work from the fix I am about to lay out for you...

As annoying as it is you need to go through and eliminate each app one at a time until you find the offender. I first discovered this after restoring my phone almost a dozen times one weekend to resolve this mess. I observed that when I had a blank restored as new phone with no apps my usage and idle times would return to normal(meaning the hardware and iOS are not the issue), but as soon as I restored my data it would go wonky again. Obviously this is caused by my restore putting back whatever is causing the problem... in my case it was the Shop Your Way Rewards app(itunes.apple.com/us/app/shop-your-way/id437521746?mt=8).

I found this by uninstalling apps one at a time, letting the phone idle for a few mins and then checking the battery time stats. This was a pain to go through and had the battery tracker built into iOS worked correctly we would not need to do this manually. Somehow through a fun coding error, behind the scenes tracker or some other nastiness that app was tanking my battery while not even getting reported to the usage menu. I assume it can not be the only app that causes this problem and if anyone finds out other offenders we should build a list.

TLDR: Restore your phone as new like you were about to sell it. Leave it in that new phone blank state for an hour(*DO NOT RESTORE YOUR DATA*) odds are it will resolve your issue with the battery stats being the same. From there just find the wonky app draining you and share it with the rest of us :)

Good luck and happy battery hog hunting :)

doctronmd

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I just acquired a new iPhone 6 and restored from backup. I'm also running iOS 8.3 and was having the same issue with the standby and usage time being identical. After reading posts, I turned off my bluetooth device, an LG HBS800, which immediately fixed my issue. Note* I didn't turn off the bluetooth radio on the phone. I still need to see how it may affect my overall battery life.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods