is 6.7 GB of "other" normal?

F0REVERY0UNG-

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have an iPhone 6 Plus and i'm wondering if the amount of "other" I have is normal, or if there's some problem.

I have 32 apps that take up 2.0 GB, one book in iBooks that takes up 56.1 MB, Documents & Data, which I don't know what that is, it takes up 73.7 MB, and then there's the "other" that takes up 6.7 GB. I know the other is necessary, but that seems like an awful lot for someone who doesn't have a lot of stuff on my phone. Is there something wrong?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No, that is NOT normal... I don't recall having more than 2.5GB ever. May have to restore as new and start clean.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That's way to much you need to restore as new to reclaim that space

Sounds like you might have a few failed back ups as well a list of reasons your "other" is so large

F0REVERY0UNG-

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I really don't want to restore as new mainly because Audible is the only app that doesn't save stats to the cloud, and i'll lose all my stats.
Looks like I have no choice though, thank you all for your help.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I really don't want to restore as new mainly because Audible is the only app that doesn't save stats to the cloud, and i'll lose all my stats.

Good luck. It should take care of your problem.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I ended up restoring to factory settings, then doing a restore form iCloud backup. I didn't lose any of my info or stats, and my "other" is down to 1.8.

That's much more like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 35

iCletus

May 11, 2014
Visit site
You can backup through iTunes, then do a restore of the system. When it asks if you want to set up as new, or restore from backup, select backup. This will clean out the cruft, and you should be OK.

Sometimes an app will go out of control, sometimes certain apps build cache... FB, Flipboard etc.... Flipboard has a way to remove cache under the advanced settings for example, while FB does not. iMore also allows you to remove cache..

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I know the feeling. I have a few apps that still do not save or backup off the device

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You can backup through iTunes, then do a restore of the system. When it asks if you want to set up as new, or restore from backup, select backup. This will clean out the cruft, and you should be OK.

I was under the impression that if you restore a backup, even after doing a device wipe/restore, you risk restoring whatever the problem was. And I kinda need to know, because I'm planning on doing a wipe/restore this weekend on my iPhone5 due to a too-large "other" usage.

iCletus

May 11, 2014
Visit site
No you should be OK. It doesn't restore cache's etc. and may fix an errant app install. It will restore the apps however present on the backup, and if one of those is causing your trouble, then it will return. But it just restores settings, and the apps, and any songs you may sync and pictures (unless using the iCloud Photo Library. I have had good success following this procedure.
I was able to track an errant app this way.
Another way is to remove some or all third party apps, BACKUP and then do the restore, and manually add apps back in one at a time (and their settings) until you find what is causing. It is still faster than a restore as new iPhone/iPad etc.
One note if you do not know is that initially while doing this, the "other" may appear large until everything is installed, but it clears up when the iPhone restarts. After the final restart, and sync, I generally go into ~library>Application Support>MobileSync> BackUps and delete all backups, and start new by selecting to backup to this computer in iTunes. then you are good to go again.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Try going into Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage and under Documents & Data see what's been left behind from apps you've uninstalled. I can't imagine there's that much memory being eaten up there but there could be stuff that can be deleted.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Try going into Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage and under Documents & Data see what's been left behind from apps you've uninstalled. I can't imagine there's that much memory being eaten up there but there could be stuff that can be deleted.

What does storage on iCloud have to do with the "Other" category on the local device?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods