iCloud VS OneDrive for picture backup

DPetry

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
The iCloud 20gb plan costs 0.99 for everybody.
In terms of storage onedrive has the best price, but, as mentioned, their iOS app has a serious bug. You should not trust their photo backup system, or you might lose some files.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The iCloud 20gb plan costs 0.99 for everybody.
In terms of storage onedrive has the best price, but, as mentioned, their iOS app has a serious bug. You should not trust their photo backup system, or you might lose some files.

What's the bug? Who has lost photos with OneDrive?

DPetry

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
The app randomly skips some photos while backing up. It does not return any errors.
Lots of users did. They trusted that the photos were backed up (the app stated so), and deleted them from the phone.
If you google "onedrive photo skipping" you'll find it.
Here's one of the threads where a Microsoft engineer states they're aware of the issue and "working to solve it". This was reported to Microsoft multiple times in the last six months.
https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/7125972-ios-camera-roll-backup-bug

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't spent a dime on storage. 100GB free with bing rewards and Dropbox storage was from my Samsung note 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a temporary promotion and many of us only choose services based on how much space we have permanently or pay for. That was at you aren't surprised when that extra space drops off when your promotion expires.

OneDrive gives you 30GB free, 40GB if you're a good and fathered user from its earlier SkyDrive days. Then you get a TB if you subscribe to Office, making it basically unlimited to most people.

Google Drive also doesn't integrate with desktop software well at all, the way OneDrive does on Windows and iCloud does on OS X. The Sync client is flaky and installs background services and auto updates in the Task Scheduler on Windows as well.

It's a decent service, though it seems a lot of people are sold on it primarily because of temporary storage promotions which is not all that great if you think you actually will need that amount of space. Either you keep buying devices to keep getting promotions or you pay for it. The end result is you're still paying for storage like any other service.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

DPetry

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
What's the bug? Who has lost photos with OneDrive?
My post explaining it to you is awaiting moderation due to a link. But basically OneDrive skips some of the photos, does not back them up and does not return any errors. That has been documented to happen in all three portable systems (IOS, Android and Windows). Google "OneDrive photo backup skip". If my answer to you ever comes live, you'll have one link where a Microsoft Engineer says they're aware of the issue. It has been reported multiple times over more than six months.

That's a temporary promotion and many of us only choose services based on how much space we have permanently or pay for. That was at you aren't surprised when that extra space drops off when your promotion expires.

OneDrive gives you 30GB free, 40GB if you're a good and fathered user from its earlier SkyDrive days. Then you get a TB if you subscribe to Office, making it basically unlimited to most people.

Google Drive also doesn't integrate with desktop software well at all, the way OneDrive does on Windows and iCloud does on OS X. The Sync client is flaky and installs background services and auto updates in the Task Scheduler on Windows as well.

It's a decent service, though it seems a lot of people are sold on it primarily because of temporary storage promotions which is not all that great if you think you actually will need that amount of space. Either you keep buying devices to keep getting promotions or you pay for it. The end result is you're still paying for storage like any other service.

If you're a paying costumer and go to preview (dot) onedrive (dot) com you will receive unlimited storage.
It is not instantaneous. You have to wait a while (less than a week, in my experience). They will credit 10Tb in your account and send you an e-mail where they state that if you use all 10Tb, they'll add another 10tb...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yea I did that before I ended and then restart d my office subscription but hadn't bothered with it again. Microsoft had sent me an email about it.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

You can still buy storage off Bing rewards so it's a moot point . Just umm search on Bing over Google. Google isn't a company I am terribly fond of

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

presidentjade

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I was really liking OneDrive as part of my Office 365 subscription. But then I found out that:

- OneDrive re-names the photos uploaded from ios. When I take a photo with my iPhone it will give it a name like IMG_0123.jpg and when it is uploaded to the OneDrive cloud it is re-named to something like 20150812-17453675_ios.jpg. This is unacceptable to me because the whole purpose of cloud storage is for it to be 1:1, or more simply put, to have the EXACT file in all places. Plus, having the photo re-named by OneDrive is making it difficult for me to sort photos past and present as the naming convention is no longer followed or consistent. In fact, the random set of numbers that OneDrive adds to the name of the photo is confusing, an eye-sore and is not a logically chronological number.

- OneDrive does not upload the burst photos taken with my iPhone 6 whereas iCloud will upload all the burst photos if that the ''upload bust photos'' setting is turned on.

Again, I was really liking OneDrive until I ran into these 2 problems. Now I find it unreliable and buggy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2