iCloud VS OneDrive for picture backup

WP7Nettwerk

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm using both. But my fav for photos, docs, apps etc is OneDrive. I'll go back soon to Windows Phone till Microsoft release new flagship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have OneDrive enabled on my phone, but my pictures are always uploaded to Photo Stream and are saved on my iMac which is then backed up to Time Machine. Not sure I have any real use for OneDrive to be honest.

I was surprised to see that pictures I had thought were gone when my laptop went south for the winter, had ended up being on OneDrive. So I might keep using it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
One Drive and Google Plus backup for me. I have unlimited on One Drive and it syncs up with my laptop real well.

MDsmartphone

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Question regarding one drive. It seems to only update /upload photos when the app is open. Is this the case for everyone?

zuntax

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Question regarding one drive. It seems to only update /upload photos when the app is open. Is this the case for everyone?
Same for me!
Only upload photos when the app is opened and / with Upload in Background is Enabled / Turned On with Use of Location service Allowed.
Upload in Background can be Enabled only only when app have full excess to Location service.

rpac78

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site

Not for me.

Do you have Location Services on? Or allowed OneDrive to always have access to location services? Apparently there's a restriction in IOS that doesn't allow apps to remain on in the background so to skirt around that, apps like OneDrive access location services constantly in order to refresh and update.

rpac78

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. I'll look into that. But why does an app require location services to backup photos???

Because of a restriction in IOS that prevents apps from constantly working in the background. To skirt around that restriction, OneDrive uses location services constantly in order to keep working.

rpac78

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
It requires location services to access photos not back them up. Photos usually have embedded metadata (like exposure, speed, aperture, etc) which usually includes a geotag. So it needs to be able to access location due to this.
It may also use it as a method of keeping the app open as suggested above but I don't know about that.

I think photos are already have their geotag and metadata right after you snap the photo; OneDrive doesn't add this to your photos after the fact.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
No they don't add it they use the data to see when you change locations to make the upload.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
OneDrive and DropBox for making your data the most accessible. Ability to Sync directly to hard Drive, complete control over how they're organized into Folders. Yea, I like that.

I also like the direction Microsoft is going in moving photography on their platform: forwards.

DPetry

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
The best feature of onedrive is the non reliable backup system in IOS.
OneDrive automatically decides which photos are not good enough and just do not back it up.
This way I have WAY less photos to organize.
Of course, I also loose some important information, but who cares? OneDrive certainly does not.
The bug has been reported in the uservoice forum. (i can't post links)

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OneDrive seems buggy to me. I prefer Box over Dropbox and OneDrive.

I love using Box as well; I just wish they were integrated more like Dropbox is with the extensions. It seems like Dropbox is available to save/access within most apps, but there's only a handful available for Box.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm just uniformed? ;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I love using Box as well; I just wish they were integrated more like Dropbox is with the extensions. It seems like Dropbox is available to save/access within most apps, but there's only a handful available for Box.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm just uniformed? ;)

It is. I use both. But I like Box the best.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The best feature of onedrive is the non reliable backup system in IOS.
OneDrive automatically decides which photos are not good enough and just do not back it up.
This way I have WAY less photos to organize.
Of course, I also loose some important information, but who cares? OneDrive certainly does not.
The bug has been reported in the uservoice forum. (i can't post links)

That's more of an iOS issue than anything. I find most apps that rely on background uploads kind of terrible on the iPhone due to the way it governs background tasks.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR