Slow Wifi download speeds, iPhone 6 only not iPad Air

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems a lot of people are reporting slow WiFi speeds, maybe it's an iOS 8 issue. But I sat my iPad Air and iPhone 6 right next to each other about 15 feet from the router, and did a number of tests - download speed only, the iPhone is about 50% of the speed of the iPad Air. Both are running iOS 8. It's not unusable, the results are:

iPad Air: ~ 97 Mbps (2.4GHz), ~112Mbps (5 GHz)
iPhone 6: ~ 56 Mbps (2.4GHz), ~61Mbps (5 GHz)

I have restarted the router, changed its channel several times, ensured it is on latest firmware (it is a late model router, Asus RT-AC68U).

I am on WPA-2 personal

I have reset network settings, hard reset the phone.

I am only 2 days away from a fresh install, and I noticed this speed pretty quickly, so I am not inclined to reset all data and try again.

So many people seem to be reporting this issue I guess it's worth a wait to see if iOS 8.1 fixes it. I have seen a lot of people who have gone through 3 phones and it still happens, some have 2 phones side by side, one exhibits the problem the other does not.

EDIT: on the same WiFi network, my laptop gets 170-180 Mbps down. So maybe both are slow, I don't know.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know with that router your iPhone 6 should be connected via wireless AC and should be able to match your laptop speeds that you posted. I have a similar issue (I have a different router) but my issue is while using apps my WiFi speed slows to nothing at random on my 5S. But when I do a speed test I get my usual speeds. I have heard ios 8.1 betas have fixed the issue but I haven't installed the beta yet to try.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I just found out something interesting, pulling out my 5s. The 6 is about 10% faster than the 5s. Maybe I made a wrong assumption, I thought the iPhone 6 would leapfrog the iPad Air since the 6 is newer. Maybe there is electronics in the iPad Air that keep it faster than the phones? Maybe this isn't an iOS issue at all, at least for me (for some it is). Does anyone know what to expect in WiFi iPad Air vs. iPhone?

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got my iphone6! Then noticed I was getting very poor wifi speed also. My fix seems to have worked by switching from WEP to WPA2 on my FIOS router. I'll see if the speeds hold up. I've heard some people are still having issue even after switching like you though. Hopefully this is a software bug and not hardware in our new phones.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
This may not be an iOS 8 issue, at least in my circumstances - I found this for the iPad Air, the iPad Air should be double the 5s as the 5s does not have MIMO technology:
What Apple is providing is a speed boost to the now thoroughly established 802.11n networking standard in the form of multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) smart antenna technology. Like many Wi-Fi routers on the market the iPad Air has dual antennas, allowing it to wend two parallel paths over the unlicensed airwaves. The MIMO implementation will double the speeds at which the iPad can access Wi-Fi networks, according to Apple.

While there are a number of articles rumoring the dual-antenna MIMO technology for the iPhone 6 and 6+ PRIOR to their release, I have only been able to find one site with an article on this AFTER the 6's came out, and it says the 6 and 6+ do NOT have the MIMO technology.

So the answer may be - expect the 6 to be slightly faster than the 5s in real world, but not as fast as the iPad Air with MIMO?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox