Can't use third party keyboard from lock screen

yungskeeme

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've tried this with Swiftkey and TouchPal. Every time I get a text on my lock screen and try to to use quick reply there is no keyboard if I set the third party one as the main one. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use SwiftKey. Here's what happened.
Text comes in and I swipe to the left, and tap reply.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412730386.752857.jpg

Then pull down on the message bar and type using SwiftKey.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412730451.104622.jpg

It works for me!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

FinancialP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Third party keyboards aren't supposed to work on the lock screen.

There are bugs so some people are able to do this at the moment.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh I see. You are using an iPhone5. Do you have a passcode?
Yes, but it was not set at the time. Mine is set for 1 hour. I'll have to try again and let the passcode lock. Being locked could prevent the 3rd party Keyboard from working on the lock screen. I'll have to turn my phone off and wait an hour. Or go to Settings and reset to immediate for the test. That's it.

Update:
If the passcode is activated, it reverts to the stock keyboard. That's part of Apple's security feature with passwords and passcodes. I guess they don't want SwiftKey or Swype to have access to opening your phone. LOL.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412778959.623413.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Last edited:

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Third party keyboards aren't supposed to work on the lock screen.

There are bugs so some people are able to do this at the moment.

If 3rd-Party keyboards aren't supposed to work in the lock screen then Apple needs to address it by forcing the Stock keyboard to show in the Lock screen when a 3rd-party keyboard is set to default, as it's annoying having to un-lock to reply to a message.

Roland

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, but you can just keep the stock keyboard in your active keyboards and it will default to that one on the lockscreen :)

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, but you can just keep the stock keyboard in your active keyboards and it will default to that one on the lockscreen :)

I've got the stock keyboard in my Active keyboards list an just get a box the size of the keyboard at the bottom of the lockscreen but no physical keyboard showing up.

Roland

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen