Safari: Stop reloading my pages!

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
How do I get Safari to stop reloading web pages on me? I am not manually asking for a reload. I am opening links into a new tab, and when I return to the other tab, it's blank and reloads as if I just opened it for the first time. This is annoying at best, and when trying to use, say, Facebook, it completely screws things up because I can be a dozen articles down the newsfeed, and suddenly find myself back at the top and becuase F&^%$ Facebook re-orders the newsfeed every time a new comment is registered, I've now completely lost my place.

Facebook is merely the worst example, it happens everywhere. If I'm on cellular, that means that the page reload is now doubling or trippeling the data usage for the page.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
What iPhone are you using? It is important to understand that there is something called "memory" and every model has different cache memory. So if you have lot of pages open and/or lot of apps open in the background iOS intelligently manages the same and clears the cache. By doing so it looses the information stored in Safari and that is the reason the pages refreshes.

One option is to close webpages that you no longer use and/or manually kill the apps that you are not using. Specially apps that are resource hogs.

Let's start with the iPhone model?

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Safari on both iPad and iPhone, about 90% of the time it hangs on loading and when you can use it, it's non-responsive. APPLE YOU need fix the damn thing. I've done a hard restart 4 dang times and still won't work right. Oh I'm using the latest update they have. Is anyone having Ann issue with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I only have that issue on my 5th gen iPod touch with web pages that have a lot of content to render.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
What iPhone are you using? It is important to understand that there is something called "memory" and every model has different cache memory. So if you have lot of pages open and/or lot of apps open in the background iOS intelligently manages the same and clears the cache. By doing so it looses the information stored in Safari and that is the reason the pages refreshes.

One option is to close webpages that you no longer use and/or manually kill the apps that you are not using. Specially apps that are resource hogs.

Let's start with the iPhone model?

Both an iPad2 and an iPhone5.

No other open tabs in Safari, just the source tab and the target tab.
No other applications open, I am always closing unused applications from the task manager/switcher.
If it were memory management, then it's the opposite of "intelligent" because it's clearing data from an application that is in active use, not one in the background.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It may not be Safari doing the reloading.... many web sites have reloading after a set amount of time built in to the code of their sites...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It may not be Safari doing the reloading.... many web sites have reloading after a set amount of time built in to the code of their sites...

It's Safari. The pattern of reloads happens too predictably with the tab switching to be anything else.

nickbarnes

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I have found a fix for myself.
Go to Settings, Safari, Clear History and Website Data.
It got to the point for me whenever I opened a net tab everything would refresh.
Hopefully it works for everyone else aswell. It was infuriating.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have found a fix for myself.
Go to Settings, Safari, Clear History and Website Data.
It got to the point for me whenever I opened a net tab everything would refresh.
Hopefully it works for everyone else aswell. It was infuriating.

I had done that in an attempt to speed up Safari. There was minimal change there, and I do not recall this having any effect on the tab autoreloading issue. :(

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I had done that in an attempt to speed up Safari. There was minimal change there, and I do not recall this having any effect on the tab autoreloading issue. :(
With mine, if they have been very recently opened, it opens right up. But if they haven't been opened in a while, it takes about 3 to 5 seconds to load.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
With mine, if they have been very recently opened, it opens right up. But if they haven't been opened in a while, it takes about 3 to 5 seconds to load.
Please define "a while" in context. For me, it's measured in seconds, not minutes, before it'll go for a reload of the tab. And on my iPad, that reload can take "a while" longer than 5 seconds to finish the reload - sometimes my iPhone 5 on LTE can reload the page faster than my iPad 2 on WiFi.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Please define "a while" in context. For me, it's measured in seconds, not minutes, before it'll go for a reload of the tab. And on my iPad, that reload can take "a while" longer than 5 seconds to finish the reload - sometimes my iPhone 5 on LTE can reload the page faster than my iPad 2 on WiFi.
I can't define it. LOL. I really haven't paid that much attention to it. I have no idea about the time cut off. I just know that if the tab has been open within the past few minutes, it opens without loading. Several hours or more and it takes time to load. I'll test it and see if there's a time limit.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue too, and figured it was just a Safari thing. It is really annoying...I'm not sure why it has to reload a page I was just on.

Mark Roeder

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm seeing that if you go to settings/safari and turn off open new tabs in background, that works, no idea why though... I've been trying to fix this for months!

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm seeing that if you go to settings/safari and turn off open new tabs in background, that works, no idea why though... I've been trying to fix this for months!

I'm not sure what you mean. By default it is set "open links in new tab". It reloads. I change it to "in background" and it still reload. Not just safari.....TapaTalk and other apps constantly reload as well. Not only if I have many things open, but even just one at times. It's crazy

yug nivek

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Same problem, no tabs other than active tab open, no other apps or games, I will add that it only happens using the safari browser installed with Orig O/s. I have done the refresh thing, cold boots, everthing but a full cold refresh and blow of app loaded apps... The page or Tab reload began about 2 updates ago. The problem also happens on various games as well, the problem does not happen on my private browser or Tor browser. I am certain it is a glitch in the O/s as it only began with the O/s update to ios 7

newhampshirebound

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Same situation for me. Including having to endure stupid people that think its a resource issue. Its an Apple issue. And is THE reason I will never again buy anything Apple. For a company to allow this and call it normal is way out of touch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh