Fullscreen caller ID Photo

TRICKorDEVICE

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone figured out the rules for caller ID photos showing up full screen again?

I have some contacts that do and some that don't. I'm guessing it is a photo quality issue.

Has anyone figured this out?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone figured out the rules for caller ID photos showing up full screen again?

I have some contacts that do and some that don't. I'm guessing it is a photo quality issue.

Has anyone figured this out?

If the photo you set to the contact is on your phone it will show full view on the incoming call screen. If it's a photo no longer on your device but with your synced contacts on iCloud it will still only show the round thumbnail pic.

TRICKorDEVICE

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If the photo you set to the contact is on your phone it will show full view on the incoming call screen. If it's a photo no longer on your device but with your synced contacts on iCloud it will still only show the round thumbnail pic.

Thanks for responding...the rules you stated don't work for me. My wife's photo comes up full screen, and I don't think I have ever had that picture on my phone...it certainly is not on my device now.

Other theories?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Really...? That's strange and I don't understand how that doesn't apply to you. I had old pics set to my contacts that weren't in my phone anymore (but still on iCloud contacts) and they were thumbnail only. I changed all the ones that were like that and set them to photos that I have on my phone now and they come up full screen.

Ok..I really have no clue !

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

No, that's incorrect (atleast in my case) . One of my friends' pic shows up in full screen even when I don't have his picture saved on my phone. So... I am unable to figure out the reason behind this

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
No, that's incorrect (atleast in my case) . One of my friends' pic shows up in full screen even when I don't have his picture saved on my phone. So... I am unable to figure out the reason behind this

Yea I'm puzzled too because I changed all my pics to what is on my phone and I have full screen ones show up now when a call comes in.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
If the photo is somewhere on your phone and you're not getting the full screen display, delete the photo in contacts, then add it again to contacts.
That worked for me.
I read this tip somewhere on iMore. I believe it was JMD.
Good Luck

tobey74

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
The contact photos does not need to be on the device. They are embedded into the contact.

This I know.

Whether a full image are shown or not, my guess is, it has to do with dimensions/resolution of image used. Small dimensions/low resolution and they show up in small circles. But if the dimensions and/or resolution is good, full contact images are shown.

This I believe is correct.

As usual, it would be so nice if it was possible to search support.apple.com for things like iOS contact image dimension requirements... but the closets I can get is this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4489

There you can at least see the formats of image files and size in KB supported. But not size required for full contact feature support.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

Actually this isn't the case. I don't keep an photos on my device but each and every contact of mine has a photo saved under their contact entry and all show full screen. Well all that have called me since iOS 8 but it's definitely not related to whether the photo is still saved in photos app if that's what you implied?

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
The contact photos does not need to be on the device. They are embedded into the contact.

This I know.

Whether a full image are shown or not, my guess is, it has to do with dimensions/resolution of image used. Small dimensions/low resolution and they show up in small circles. But if the dimensions and/or resolution is good, full contact images are shown.

This I believe is correct.

As usual, it would be so nice if it was possible to search support.apple.com for things like iOS contact image dimension requirements... but the closets I can get is this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4489

There you can at least see the formats of image files and size in KB supported. But not size required for full contact feature support.

I'm not sure this is the case. I've changed my images that did the following but after upgrading I noticed some of my contacts had a zoomed contact photo. Where before their face fitted perfectly in the circle after iOS 8 it had magnified the photo so only half their head fitted in. Upon inspection the aspect of these photos were square and what it had done was zoomed in on the image until the aspect covered the whole screen for full screen calling. I've since retaken portrait aspect images of contacts who were affected so if the image is poor it seems to just zoom in until it fits the screen. Saying that it MIGHT still be that it needs a minimum resolution regardless of aspect I guess.

brendns

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
You need to set the picture you want in your contacts app on your mac/pc and sync contacts from there if you want the small round thumbnail to appear instead of full screen.
I found that when i chose a picture for a contact on my phone, it shows as full screen but if you go into your contacts app on a mac and add a picture and then sync contacts from your mac in iTunes, my contact pictures show as thumbnails when one of my contacts call my iPhone.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You need to set the picture you want in your contacts app on your mac/pc and sync contacts from there if you want the small round thumbnail to appear instead of full screen.
I found that when i chose a picture for a contact on my phone, it shows as full screen but if you go into your contacts app on a mac and add a picture and then sync contacts from your mac in iTunes, my contact pictures show as thumbnails when one of my contacts call my iPhone.

Not true. I have set all of my contacts photos (the ones for which I have photos) on my Mac (Contacts app) and synced to my iPhone via iCloud. They show up as fullscreen CallerID photos on my phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've seen the photos change when I use synced photos from Google Contacts. They don't show full screen. I have to change them manually to a pic in my photos app. Then they show full screen.

brendns

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
They're are still showing as full screen for you because you synced your contacts with iCloud. I have my contacts turned off in iCloud and sync my contacts to my iPhone directly through iTunes. All my contacts show as a small thumbnail when i get a phone call.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the rule used to be to get the small thumbnail caller ID you used to have to sync your contacts with a service via iTunes sync like you say. For example if you selected outlook within iTunes > Mail sync option and then sync it showed the smaller caller ID. Not too sure what the situation with this all is now but presume it's the same story.

I actually prefer the full screen so in glad it's back in iOS. 8 as when my iPhone rings and it's on my desk I often only need to glance to see who is calling rather that lean over to read the name! (Yes I have crap eyesight!)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They're are still showing as full screen for you because you synced your contacts with iCloud. I have my contacts turned off in iCloud and sync my contacts to my iPhone directly through iTunes. All my contacts show as a small thumbnail when i get a phone call.
If you prefer the full screen, you can always delete those contact's photos you receive calls from the most, like family and close friends. Then upload your own photos for them from your Photos app. Then they will show full screen.

brendns

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Ledsteplin for the idea but I prefer the small thumbnail contact photo's. It took me forever to figure out how to get rid of the full screen photo's.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen