The future of iOS 8 widgets.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I understand the why--they don't want a keyboard inside a widget. The problem is why don't they want to allow a keyboard--or whatever--inside the widget as long as the widget app stays within the size limits? It's just silly. I don't use the app, and probably desire to use widgets the way Apple wants me to, but I still don't see a problem with letting things like this exist for those who want to use it. But this is the drawback to a strict, policed App Store.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Apple is getting pretty ridiculous with its widget policies. It's bad enough that Craig F. demoed the eBay widget (which still apparently ceases to exist), but now they are pulling similar apps that have buttons and other actionable components. As others have pointed out (and in light of the Drafts' situation), look for Evernote, Box, and Day One to get their apps yanked due to the same reasons. Widgets are shortcuts, and Apple needs to recognize that and allow developers to do what they see fit.

In addition to revising their policies, Apple also needs to look at the widget layout. I'm not sure a scrolling interface works well. I prefer (and don't criticize me for saying this) the Android method of swiping horizontally from one widget to the next. Some of the iOS widgets are so big that they make the entire widget "board" cumbersome to navigate.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple is getting pretty ridiculous with its widget policies. It's bad enough that Craig F. demoed the eBay widget (which still apparently ceases to exist), but now they are pulling similar apps that have buttons and other actionable components. As others have pointed out (and in light of the Drafts' situation), look for Evernote, Box, and Day One to get their apps yanked due to the same reasons. Widgets are shortcuts, and Apple needs to recognize that and allow developers to do what they see fit.

In addition to revising their policies, Apple also needs to look at the widget layout. I'm not sure a scrolling interface works well. I prefer (and don't criticize me for saying this) the Android method of swiping horizontally from one widget to the next. Some of the iOS widgets are so big that they make the entire widget "board" cumbersome to navigate.

Good points. Agree also on the cumbersome part.

dougef2

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I just don't see the point in widgets. I can get into any app in just as few, or fewer touches, than with a widget. Maybe I'm missing something.

I kind of agree. When I first got iOS 8 I was excited about widgets. Now I find I never use them. Just use the apps - to me just as easy.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Two of my favorites are "Clips" and "PCalc". I like the copy and paste feature of Clips and how I can do calculations in PCalc without leaving an app I'm in. It's personal preference but helps me be more productive on my iPhone when I have to use those features. Clips also has a keyboard so I can store text that I use often and quickly paste them when needed. I can also understand how it's easy for others to just use the apps themselves. To me this is the problem I have with apple as stated by Macstories:
"Curious app rejections aren't new to the App Store, but being forced to remove a feature that was approved, featured by the App Store team, and appreciated by thousands of users is a different story."

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It almost sounds as if Apple is afraid of something. But what? It makes no sense. I still have Launcher. I've whittled it down to 4 shortcuts. But they are 4 I actually use almost daily.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
It almost sounds as if Apple is afraid of something. But what?

Indeed it does. This restriction has the potential to impact a variety of apps including Evernote, Day One and Fantastical, all of which allow users to create new content directly from the notification widget (TUAW).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Indeed it does. This restriction has the potential to impact a variety of apps including Evernote, Day One and Fantastical, all of which allow users to create new content directly from the notification widget (TUAW).

They said Neato was a goner. But they're still there. They'll keep on until the only widgets left are the "speed dial" widgets. Pull your screen down and call Momma. Those aren't worth a flip. Anything really useful, they won't allow.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
It's funny because I never use many widgets on android either. Right now I'm using Fantastical, ETA, SportsCenter, and Swarm widgets on my phone. On my iPad just Fantastical and Yahoo Weather. I think I'm falling into the use case scenario Apple wants for widgets. I just want quick glances at information without leaving an app. Viewing my calendar, the weather, or how long it will take me to travel to common places--that kind of thing. More than that and I too would prefer to launch the app. On android often times I find the widget does so much, it just replaces launching the app. The problem is you go back to the home screen to access it and at that point you might as well just launch the app. The notification tray is actually a nice place to have widgets, imp, but I'm not sure what to do about the long list of widgets. Maybe they need to go back to a 3 pane tray, with Today being summary widgets only, the middle being notifications, and a far right pane being shortcuts, a la LaunchPad.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
It almost sounds as if Apple is afraid of something. But what?

On android often times I find the widget does so much, it just replaces launching the app.

Maybe this is what Apple does not want. They could be worried that widgets on the iPhone could have so much functionality that people would use apps less and the Notification Center would turn into the main place people use most, which is not their purpose when they implemented widgets.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this is what Apple does not want. They could be worried that widgets on the iPhone could have so much functionality that people would use apps less and the Notification Center would turn into the main place people use most, which is not their purpose when they implemented widgets.
I could understand that logic if the widgets could be placed direct on the home screen. But I don't see the threat with them on the NC screen. Maybe it's features and options Apple plans to add themselves in the future, and don't want these 3rd party widget apps to steal their thunder. Regardless, it has been odd how it's all unfolded.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I think if a dev can figure out how to pack in all that functionality in a tiny app space, more to them. You don't have to use the widgets. I'm not a fan of the bulkier ones, so I just don't use them. They are off by default, so Apple can't even use the "diminished user experience" as an argument.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I think if a dev can figure out how to pack in all that functionality in a tiny app space, more to them. You don't have to use the widgets. I'm not a fan of the bulkier ones, so I just don't use them. They are off by default, so Apple can't even use the "diminished user experience" as an argument.

I agree with you. Users have the choice to toggle the widgets on and off, so why not leave it up to customers as to whether or not they want to use a widget? As I said before, though, this is more than a developer problem - this is an iOS presentation problem. The scrolling through widgets simply does not seem efficient, especially if one takes advantage of the larger widgets. I've also had widgets that are "here today, gone tomorrow" in terms of functionality. I can't tell you how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled the LinkedIn app just to see if the widget actually worked. I still don't understand why Apple can't put widgets on the home screen, seeing as how they have a moving clock. For crying out loud, can updating the temperature be that difficult? I'm a supporter of Apple products and can't see myself straying from them, but their half-arsed approach to widgets leaves much to be desired.

mr-o

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I heard Launcher was coming back, not sure if it's been severely handicapped though. I'm still on iOS7 as my 4S would probably struggle with 8, and widgets are something I'd love to play with!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal