The future of iOS 8 widgets.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple has removed Launcher from the App Store. With iOS 8, Apple has brought an amazing feature called widgets. But with great features comes great restrictions. I remember when flashlight apps became available for the iPhone 4 and later they were pulled, only to return. There was even an article from Engadget when the apps were allowed back in the AppStore,"Shocker! Apple approves apps for using LED on iPhone 4 as flashlight."

Launcher is a great app and brought great features for iOS 8. Greg Gardner, the app creator, in his announcement about why the app was pulled said, "Apple contacted me on September 23, 2014 and told me that they have decided to disallow any Notification Center widget that lets you launch other apps. Their only reason was that it is a 'misuse' of widgets, even though there are no written rules to this effect and the app was originally approved by them."

Gardner thanked all the loyal users of his app in his statement. I am glad that I was able to get the app before Apple pulled it. I hope they change their mind on this.

Statement: Apple has removed Launcher from the App Store<

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When he says they don't want widgets that launch other apps, does he mean 3rd party apps? I don't know the rules and guidelines off the top of my head, but if that was the only restriction then why not just continue making the app to have action launchers? Like what I hope Launch Center Pro will have in their widget when it's updated.

I also think that maybe something somewhere has been misinterpreted by the developer. Wouldn't we see a slew of launcher apps that allowed launching other apps in the notification center? I'm really not taking sides here. I'm trying to see this in both perspectives.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
When he says they don't want widgets that launch other apps, does he mean 3rd party apps? I don't know the rules and guidelines off the top of my head, but if that was the only restriction then why not just continue making the app to have action launchers? Like what I hope Launch Center Pro will have in their widget when it's updated.

I also think that maybe something somewhere has been misinterpreted by the developer. Wouldn't we see a slew of launcher apps that allowed launching other apps in the notification center? I'm really not taking sides here. I'm trying to see this in both perspectives.

Great points.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I hope Launcher continues to work. So far it does, but who knows after 8.0.3.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

If that was the case then wouldn't the ESPN SportsCenter widget be disallowed as it allows you to open the app directly from the widget, by taping on one of the score cards.

I'm leaning more towards the fact that Launcher allows you to add shortcuts to different parts of the System Settings, including ones that are included in Control Centre.

Roland

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If that was the case then wouldn't the ESPN SportsCenter widget be disallowed as it allows you to open the app directly from the widget, by taping on one of the score cards.

I'm leaning more towards the fact that Launcher allows you to add shortcuts to different parts of the System Settings, including ones that are included in Control Centre.

Roland

Yeah, it's a for sure thing that your own widget should allow you to directly open your app or at the very least another app you developed.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Roland
Agree! But why would Apple not like users having shortcuts to the settings app? I don't see where the harm is. If you go to passcode, you still have to enter your passcode.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Shame, glad I go the pro version right away. Hope Apple does not block it with future releases. I wish the developer luck, it's a very nice app, he did a great job.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Per this thread's title, I think its too early to tell if widgets as currently implemented will be useful.

For example Dropbox widget shows that four files were updated recently. Great that the widget is telling me this. Now that I know four files changed, how do I dismiss the notification? There is no option to do so. Perhaps this is a limitation introduced by the Dropbox widget, and not how Apple intends or supports widgets?

Swiping left while pressing on one of the file names in the widget's list brings me to the Notifications screen. Swiping right does nothing. Pressing on the Dropbox bar does nothing. Pressing on one of the file names opens up Dropbox. Cool that its available and functioning as a shortcut to the actual Dropbox app.

How do I dismiss widget notifications? Are there other widgets that implement different and more useful functionality?

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
It's not a notification. It's a widget. It shows you the last files that you accessed. That's it. It's a shortcut to the files you've recently used. It's functioning as advertised.

If you want notifications when a new file is uploaded, that would be a new feature and you could email the developers to see if it's a planned new feature.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I find the ETA widget to be functional. It shows time to the destinations you store within the main app. I also like the TeeVee widget. It shows upcoming shows with times so you can easily see if a new show is airing. If it's not in the list, it's either not on or is a repeat.

Many people like the evernote widget. It has shortcuts to creating a new text, picture, voice, etc note. I don't use it but I think it is useful. Many love the PCalc widget. It puts a full on calculator in the widgets panel.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
With the TeeVee Widget and TeeVee: has it ever wrongly shown wether a show is a repeat or not or the wrong show? In other words if a sporting event like MMA is being doublecast on a regular non-sports channel but does not show up in the guide that it is(This happened recently).

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I don't know. I've only been using the app for a week. So far it hasn't showed me incorrect information but I likely haven't hit that type of situation yet.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Update:
Apple threatened to remove the best iOS 8 widgets in the App Store? and then changed its mind.

PC Calc is now able to keep its widget. Good move apple

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro