Forced update download of iOS

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Since when does Apple PUSH the updates out? I was syncing my iPhone 5 last night when I noticed that I was suddenly down to less than a gig free and that the "other" had exploded from 1.4GB to over 2GB of space. As I was starting to try to find out why, an alert popped on my phone that iOS 8.0.2 was downloaded and ready to install.

I have an iPhone 5, it was not effected by the problems of 8.0.1, 8.0.1 was not installed anyway, that came and was pulled before I even knew it existed. So none of the critical fixes apply to me at all, and none of the other fixes apply to me either because they relate to features/functions that either my phone does not have (TouchID) or use (3rd party keyboards, HealthKit).

I don't even like doing OTA updates of the OS. I prefer doing them tethered to iTunes.

To the best of my knowledge, I have all update settings on the phone set to merely alert me when one is available and NOT to automatically retrieve.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are always "unlisted" enhancements when an iOS update is released, while you may not be experiencing any of the 'headline issues' it is best practice to update to the latest version of iOS available...

Look in settings...General...restrictions... You can enable restrictions, and one of the restrictions you can enable is for installing apps... Not sure if that will do anything about iOS updates or not...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
There are always "unlisted" enhancements when an iOS update is released, while you may not be experiencing any of the 'headline issues' it is best practice to update to the latest version of iOS available...
I was going to manually check for an update and apply if available over the weekend - through iTunes, not OTA.

And since this is an iPhone 5, none of the critical, must-get-now fixes apply.

My ire is that the ~600MG download was forced on me with no option to do it later. I should have simply been alerted that it was available for download.

Look in settings...General...restrictions... You can enable restrictions, and one of the restrictions you can enable is for installing apps... Not sure if that will do anything about iOS updates or not...
That would kill my ability to, well, install apps. :)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I just checked, and the iOS update had been forced down to my iPad as well - it's an iPad2 that is still on iOS7.x. So this forced download is not new with an installed iOS8. No other iOS update has ever been force-downloaded to me before this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73