Best 'widget' apps?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you using an icon app or the web
All of the above. I first used all the ones under settings that used the settings icon. Then I found a few PNG images online and changed a few. Then I got my newspaper online and used a PNG image for that. I created several icons using the app, Eraser. You can use any photo and erase part of it and turn it into a PNG image. The keyboard is actually a screenshot of my SwiftKey keyboard. The SIRI icon came from a screenshot of my SIRI'S mic. Fun!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one who sees all of these widgets as unusable fluff?

In the case of apps like Launcher and Favorites, it seems to me to be too much trouble to set them up, and then have to go to the NC page to use them. I find it much quicker to unlock my phone (with TouchID), tap the phone icon and call my wife from the Favorites list than to unlock the phone, slide down on the page to get the NC page, then scroll to the Favorites widget and tap the icon representing my wife's phone number.

Likewise with many of the apps that can be launched via the Launcher widget.

If it works for you, great - more power to you. I am not knocking the existence of these widgets, but for me, it?s more effort to use them. I only use 2 widgets - the Yahoo Weather and ESPN SportsCenter. And I?m not 100% convinced that using them is significantly easier/faster.

At first I thought launcher would be useless but I have quickly changed by mind. I use spotify at the gym and while I am working out and hear a song I want to add to a playlist it is a quick swipe down and I can open it. Then it's a quick swipe down again and I can get back to JeFit to keep tracking my workout.

I also have a Glympse shortcut to let my wife know I am on the way and a short cut to Downcast.

I wish I paid for it so I can get rid of the launcher icon, oh well at least I grabbed it before it was pulled.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am back to eWeather HD. It's been the most accurate, and they now have a widget.
Although I am on the fence about using it. I am not a fan of the widget choice they use. View attachment 67986
I use that too. I like it. I like too many of the weather widgets. Yahoo is great, and I like weather underground for its nearby weather. It's just like on my home screen, where I have 5 weather apps in a folder. :D

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I use that too. I like it. I like too many of the weather widgets. Yahoo is great, and I like weather underground for its nearby weather. It's just like on my home screen, where I have 5 weather apps in a folder. :D

I liked Yahoo's widget the best. But my notifications never worked. I used to also have several weather apps, but it was to much to keep track of

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
At first I thought launcher would be useless but I have quickly changed by mind. I use spotify at the gym and while I am working out and hear a song I want to add to a playlist it is a quick swipe down and I can open it. Then it's a quick swipe down again and I can get back to JeFit to keep tracking my workout.

I also have a Glympse shortcut to let my wife know I am on the way and a short cut to Downcast.

I wish I paid for it so I can get rid of the launcher icon, oh well at least I grabbed it before it was pulled.
The Launcher Icon was the main reason I got the in app. Since my wife and I share an iTunes ID, she was able to download it and do a restore purchase all after it was pulled. It took me 3 tries with entering my password before it went through. I was really shocked she got it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I liked Yahoo's widget the best. But my notifications never worked. I used to also have several weather apps, but it was to much to keep track of
One of my weather apps is Tornado by the Red Cross. It has a very loud alert warning. We had a Tornado come through here and all the weather apps were going off. On my wife's phone too. I've since determined which is the most promt with the alerts, and turned the others off. I keep them all for the features. They each have a feature the others don't have.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's mine, very useful. Don't need the text as the icons are obvious. If your saving 1 tap, times hundreds, it's a lot of time saved!:

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1413001850.041322.jpg

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
One of my weather apps is Tornado by the Red Cross. It has a very loud alert warning. We had a Tornado come through here and all the weather apps were going off. On my wife's phone too. I've since determined which is the most promt with the alerts, and turned the others off. I keep them all for the features. They each have a feature the others don't have.

That's a great point, never thought of it that way.

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Check The Weather has a nice widget, anyone try that one yet?

Just tried it out and out of yahoo weather, weather channel, weather underground, forecasr++, and Check the Weather, I like it the most. Forecast++ would be my favorite but the weather is very inaccurate.

69ccb7cf6687fac29c483e6b3f743e27.jpg

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the app. But not sure if I will keep it. It doesn't seem to refresh locations, unless I do it manually.

Thats good to know, thanks, been using the one for Yahoo and its been working really well.

Seems to be the status quo. These widgets are either really good looking or really functional/accurate. Given that choice, accurate wins. And Yahoo Weather is both accurate and attractive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods