audio messages

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded my mom's phone to iOS 8. I was showing her how to send audio messages. she was sending me one & it took about 5 minutes for me to get it. I noticed it only works on iMessage & not SMS. since they are blue & not green bubbles. it's in because it is new or what? well it eventually work on SMS messaging

tobey74

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been wondering the same exact thing?

When I look at Apple iOS 8 Messages page they just say Messages got so much better with audio and video recording possible. They don't say anything anywhere if this is an iMessage feature only, meaning you and the receiver need be using an iDevice and iMessage. I also can't see any technical reason why it should be an iMessage feature only. Why would it not be possible to send audio and video as MMS?

But when I am using Messages App I only see the microphone when messaging a contact that is also using iMessage. But even that seems very buggi to me.

I am using a iPhone 5, public iOS8 and iMessage. My wife is running iOS 7.1.2 on an iPhone 4S and we are both using iMessage. The messages app gives me the audio microphone option. But when I record something and send it off to my wife heres what happens: the audio recording turns blue as in imessage format, that briefly I get the red exclamation mark and a notification saying send failure, then the second after the audio recording - still on my screen - turns green, it gets send, and then it turns blue again.

What's up with the blue and green changing light? Is anyone else seeing this weird behaviour or is it working perfectly for you guys?

Do you know if it is supposed to work with MMS messaging or only iMessage?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All my contacts who use iPhone show the audio mic in messages. All my contacts who use other platforms do not show the audio mic in messages. How are you seeing the mic when texting someone SMS? I don't see it. Are you turning iMessage off? If so, why? Are your iPhone friends turning their iMessage off? I don't think it was meant for SMS.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The red send failure is your carrier connection failing. I'm not sure why it would do that Between those two iPhones. I sent an audio message to my Wife before she updated to iOS 8. It worked ok. It had to be a period of weak wifi or cellular signal that caused that. Try going to settings on both phones and reset network settings. Go to Settings>General>Reset> Reset Network Settings and tap it. You will need to enter your wifi passcode back in afterwards. Your phone will power off during this process.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
you think Apple will improve this. will it be in a software update or can they just do it without an update
I don't think it's an iPhone problem. I doubt it was meant to use with SMS. It's iMessage only. See the above about the red failure message.

tobey74

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's an iPhone problem. I doubt it was meant to use with SMS. It's iMessage only. See the above about the red failure message.

I know we can't expect it to work with SMS messages but it has long time been possible to send pictures, videos and therefor audio as MMS messages. If the recipient is not able to receive the multimedia directly on there phone the carrier sends them link and password to see the multimedia online.

I understand why Apple might not like this behavior and makes there audio/video solution an iMessage only thing, but then again I just wish they would write this out clearly on there website and remove any doubts as to requirements quickly :)

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The red send failure is your carrier connection failing.

I encountered this immediately after installing iOS8 on my 4S. I had to restore the phone for an unrelated issue, and was prompted to update the carrier settings/firmware/something. Which I did. Now I don't get the red send failure, ever. (AT&T)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR