Is there any way to delete crash logs without wiping the phone?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I updated my iPhone5 to iOS8, and there have been several application crashes since then, which is what I believe is responsible for the sudden swelling of the "Other" category on my device. It's now over 1.5GB, up by about 500M since Monday, and I'm low on space.

Is there any way to delete these crash logs without wiping the phone and setting it up as a new device?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Syncing your device with iTunes *should* remove the diagnostics & data information from your device, but it'll still create new information. In short, sync with iTunes once a week or so and you should be able to keep the amount of storage used by the diagnostics & data to a minimum.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Syncing your device with iTunes *should* remove the diagnostics & data information from your device, but it'll still create new information. In short, sync with iTunes once a week or so and you should be able to keep the amount of storage used by the diagnostics & data to a minimum.

It didn't. There are 39 entries going back to the 17th, and I synced the phone last night.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I wiped and reloaded my phone, and it was almost a complete waste of time. I did a "reset and delete" on the phone, and before I even did my first sync to install my applications, iTunes was reporting that "Other" was already taking up about 700MB. Once I installed the apps, and before any data, that Other was back up to 1.2GB.

I also took a look at how much "user available" space there is now, and it went down by about a gig since iOS7. On a 16GB phone, that is significant. It means that I now have only a smidge more than 12GB available for MY stuff on the device.

andy957

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone ever find the REAL way to delete these logs? I have an iPhone 5S and am having a problem with one particular app. I'd like to clear the logs so that only this app's errors are logged. I'm running iOS 8.4.1. Thanks.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I updated my iPhone5 to iOS8, and there have been several application crashes since then, which is what I believe is responsible for the sudden swelling of the "Other" category on my device. It's now over 1.5GB, up by about 500M since Monday, and I'm low on space.

Is there any way to delete these crash logs without wiping the phone and setting it up as a new device?

If possible delete the app(s), then sync with itunes. Syncing with itunes can clean up other in some circumstances. There are lots of things in Other, icloud cache for instance. In this case who knows what it is. If your hunch that's it caused by a few apps is right in any way it seems removing them could help at least to stop the problem from continuing.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
My only other suggestion is to restore as new and painstakingly add back apps you need. This is the only way to really pair the phone down and shed the Other. A restore from backup will bring back the Other. A phone as new will clean things up in a good way but is a big investment in time. I find that doing this exercise helps me really decide what apps I need.

Beyond that you may have some apps not properly ported to 8.

Stupefy1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

It seems a bit late but I will still try to give a proper answer to this situation.
First of all, you need to be able to see the hidden files from Windows:

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

After doing this, connect your device and sync it.

Go to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice

Replace the "yourusername" with your actual username.

You will see a folder with your device's name.
Delete all the crash logs.

That should do it.