iMessage - Audio Messages Not Working (no microphone icon)

rod97301

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Updated new ios8 and there's no audio microphone icon. Still see just the "Send" button with "Text Message" in the box where you would start typing. I went into iMessage settings and it's enabled, but can't see any other settings that are obvious... Shouldn't this "just work?"

rod97301

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I think I've figured this out and wanted to share so that others know what's going on. I had 2 phones, one for my wife and one for myself. Both phones are using one apple id; I did this so I wouldn't have to purchase the same apps for my wife's iPhone. With both phones set to the same apple id, the iMessages features do not work - specifically audio 'texting'. I found that when I placed my wife's phone under her own apple id, the audio text features worked. So if you are wanting to text to another device with the same apple id, you'll likely have problems with this feature.

Damon Koch

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with iOS 8 audio message. The microphone appears on the right side of the text box, but then it disappears when I select a contact. Anyone have an answer.

Damon Koch

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
My problem is when I hit the compose button the mic is there. Once I select a contact it disappears. I tried fooling it by changing the phone label in a contact to iPhone, but that did not work either.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
not sure if this is the same behavior but my wife had problems receiving audio messages for a couple of hours and it just started working on its own.

Damon Koch

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
This is off topic, but how do I get rid of the recents at the top of the screen when I double hit the home button. I deleted all the recents from my phone app and have nothing in favorites, but they still show up on the double home button press.

Damon Koch

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but this option turns off the feature. I would like the feature only to show favorites I have put in my favorites list and recents that have not been deleted.

Damon Koch

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Just talked to Apple support. Audio and video messaging only works when you are sending to another IOS8 device that has an Apple ID and has instant messaging enabled. So in other words a completely unusable feature.

mg91348

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I restored my iphone and I still do not have the microphone. Before the restore, I at least had a grey microphone in messaging but now I have none. imessaging is turned on I rebooted my phone, but nothing works???? I cannot send audio messages (my phone is a 5c)

ddmacpp

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Support that WAS able to send voice text to non-ios 8 comtact. Microphone which is there and activated goes away after putting in contact. No voice control comes up at all. Is this a problem with upgrade to iOS 8.0.2 (never upgraded to ios 8.0.1). Any suggestions?

stewarpa

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
been fighting this problem for days and couldn't figure out. I had to reset my settings after upgrading because I had issues with my hotspot (totally different problem from iOS 8 upgrade. Didn't realize I had not turned on Siri. This worked!! Thanks!

MDou

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I turned on Siri, as someone suggested in a thread below, and I now have my microphone symbol next to the smiley face to use for voice texting. I just upgraded to the iPhone 6 but it must be the ios8 that's the culprit. Suri is in Settings --> General.

D128

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I figured it out for me and it's not turning on Siri. You have to go to the Keyboard section of settings and enable dictation.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods