Mail in iOS8

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the enhancements in email, however I still think, for an application that all of us probably use all day, it's still very limited.

First and foremost, I think the inability to sort and filter email messages (in any useful way) is a huge let down. I'd also love to see the ability to tag (or label) email messages. And probably one of the most desired wishes in email is the ability to link a message to a calendar event or date (and vice versa) or an iMessage, or even to components within a 3rd party app.

But back to reality, can anyone who's using any of the betas talk about email and some of the new features they find useful? Screen shots would also be appreciated.

Thanks..

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
_____ iPad Air ______

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I am looking forward to an improved mail app too. First and foremost, I want IMAP IDLE to be integrated, but as far as Beta 3, it wasn't there and seems like Apple has no plans for the same.
My fellow BB colleagues on BB10 devices, get their IMAP mails is real time and mine has to wait for atleast 15 minutes ( and sometimes more).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the enhancements in email, however I still think, for an application that all of us probably use all day, it's still very limited.

First and foremost, I think the inability to sort and filter email messages (in any useful way) is a huge let down. I'd also love to see the ability to tag (or label) email messages. And probably one of the most desired wishes in email is the ability to link a message to a calendar event or date (and vice versa) or an iMessage, or even to components within a 3rd party app.

But back to reality, can anyone who's using any of the betas talk about email and some of the new features they find useful? Screen shots would also be appreciated.

Thanks..

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
_____ iPad Air ______

I only use the native Mail app, and in my personal opinion, using it in iOS 8 beta is nothing special. I mean, it sufficient for my usage, but it is nowhere close to being what it could be in terms of being more efficient.

awood740

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I use the stock mail app in iOS 8 B4. I have my gmail set to forward to my iCloud mail account and then set my iCloud mail to send as my gmail account. It was the only way around losing push a couple years ago with gmail.

In ios 8 I have found the slide to trash feature awesome. You can also turn on notifications on the lock screen and slide to trash straight from the lock screen. If you get some BS email, you can trash it and never unlock the phone.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use the stock mail app in iOS 8 B4. I have my gmail set to forward to my iCloud mail account and then set my iCloud mail to send as my gmail account. It was the only way around losing push a couple years ago with gmail.

In ios 8 I have found the slide to trash feature awesome. You can also turn on notifications on the lock screen and slide to trash straight from the lock screen. If you get some BS email, you can trash it and never unlock the phone.

The Mail app is indeed useful, but it can be a good deal better and more efficient, in my opinion.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I like the default mail app because of it's integration and the closed nature of iOS seems to limit my ability to leverage mail links in 3rd party applications. Fortunately I use .mac as my default email address and the native client does work flawlessly with it.

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been a fan of the mail app for awhile and now with the iOS 8 updates, I like it even more. I love using gestures like going forward or back in menus or in safari. Adding gestures to mail to delete is great. Something else that I really like that I think shows Apple opening up to customization at least a little bit is the ability to customize the mail gestures. For example, I never flag an email so I was happy I can turn that off for the gestures.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

I do the same, but would be happy with an efficient IMAP solution on the phone, just so that I don't have to mark all my mails as read on the desktop, which have been read on the phone. And secondly, no folder support with the iCloud workaround.

P.S. I hope this thread is read by the concerned iOS programmers, just to know that there is a minority who needs improvement in the default mail app,more than any other feature in the OS

Last edited:

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I do the same, but would be happy with an efficient IMAP solution on the phone, just so that I don't have to mark all my mails as read on the desktop, which have been read on the phone. And secondly, no folder support with the iCloud workaround.

P.S. I hope this thread is read by the concerned iOS programmers, just to know that there is a minority who needs improvement in the default mail app,more than any other feature in the OS

My company work mail supports IMAP and I have all my devices (Mini, Air, 5s, and MacBook Air) configured that way right now, everything is always in sync (reads, forwards, moves, deletes, etc).

I second the motion though that hopefully, iOS programmers do read these threads, because as I said before, mail (more than any other app) is used so often but the clients are so extremely limited, that someone needs to build a one to support these expectations.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
_____ iPad Air ______

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
What kind of attachments? There is the option for attaching photos, videos and gifs to email in the stock mail app.

True, but open it up to other files (spreadsheets, documents, PDFs). I think many people use some kind of cloud based storage (Dropbox) or have access to network shares so that should be included just like on a conventional computer.

Matter a fact, the heck with the old way of attachments, just allow linking to any file where you have permission. You can specify other permissions during the linking, which obviously could never exceed your level of permission.

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
_____ iPad Air ______

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My company work mail supports IMAP and I have all my devices (Mini, Air, 5s, and MacBook Air) configured that way right now, everything is always in sync (reads, forwards, moves, deletes, etc).

_-TechnologyTwitt-_
_____ iPad Air ______

iOS does support IMAP, but my complaint is about the 15 minutes fetch time. I need instant delivery to my device, which is possible with IMAP IDLE. Or I need to host my work emails on Exchange, which is not viable for just 5 users requiring instant mails.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, Gmail is the only IMAP that doesn't work with push mail. For my icloud, yahoo, and outlook.com which are all IMAP I get push mail. Only gmail doesn't do that and that is because Google doesn't allow it unless you use a paid Google apps account.

outlook.com mails are over exchange server, which is why they get pushed instantly. Icloud, I am not sure on what protocol the email works on iOS, but yes, it does get pushed instantly when setup on the phone. I don't use Yahoo.
As for Gmail, earlier, we could set it up as exchange and get instant push, because of EAS support, but since they abandoned EAS on Gmail and free G.Apps, the only way to set it, is over IMAP, where the minimum time for fetch is 15 minutes. Infact any IMAP email, set on the iOS device, has the least fetch time of 15 minutes ( provided the corporate company has its own IMAP server and is pushing mails to its employees). This 15 minute fetch is bothersome for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yahoo and iCloud are both IMAP and don't have that 15 minute limit. I'm fairly sure that outlook.com on an iphone is use IMAP as well, but maybe it's using Exchange.
It's configured like IMAP, but acts like it's via Exchange. Push notifications are instant, as stated above by ritesh.

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I quite like the stock Mail app and the additions in iOS8 make it even better. While it lacks some 'power features' that some users want (such as those above), it's made to cater to the general masses (the 99% of iPhone users who aren't 'power users' and just want to send/receive/read basic email) and it does that pretty well.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
While it lacks some 'power features' that some users want (such as those above), it's made to cater to the general masses (the 99% of iPhone users who aren't 'power users' and just want to send/receive/read basic email) and it does that pretty well.

I am sure that the 99% 'general masses', wouldn't mind the addition of 'power features' that the 1% want.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice