Sorry iOS, I'm switching to Android

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just joined these forums and I see that Apple fans' reputation is justified...
How can you have an ancient iPhone 5? The device was only released in September 2012.
It's humor! Lighten up! I have nothing against Android or any other platform. It's just my attempt at humor. You didn't see the "Big Grin" on that comment? That means I was not being serious and was trying to be funny. :)

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Just joined these forums and I see that Apple fans' reputation is justified...
How can you have an ancient iPhone 5? The device was only released in September 2012.

In cellphone years -
1 year old = Antique
2 years old = Ancient
3 years old = A display at the Smithsonian Museum of Technology
Feel free to copy that list for future reference ...

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well thought out post, especially if you're only 14! Seems like you've done your homework, enjoy Android! iphone wasn't for me either. Stay in school!

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with your choice, but I think the write up would hold more water if done after spending some time with the android device instead of what you've read/seen briefly at a store.

I have been tempted by android in the past; I tried out the phone and loved it, but after a couple of months of consistant use I wanted to throw it against a wall. But again, that's just me.

Good luck!

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense, the OP's move.

I made the jump myself when iOS's lockdowns just annoyed me too much, back before iOS 5.0 came out.

iCloud brought me back, as well as my inability to stop installing apps, which gave my Nexus truly terrible battery life. (I know, I know, the Galaxy S5 and others have amazing battery life. Times change.)

I actually prefer the iPhone 5's size. Easier to deal with in the pocket. Anyway, having choices is good -- if/when the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 comes out, perhaps we'll see some of that sort return.

I have both an iPad and an Xperia Tablet Z -- I know the fun of tinkering with the OSes. It's a fun pastime.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Now, fast forward to January of this year. Not much had really changed regarding my view on Apple. Then I discovered the Galaxy Note lineup of devices. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but I thought "Wow, these really ARE better than iOS". I also started to realize how much I hated a 3.5" screen, and iOS 7+ iPhone 4 =/= smooth user experience, BTW.

You're comparing a device that's several years old versus a new device. That's never a good idea. While I'd certainly agree that's a good reason to upgrade, it's not really a point worth making. I could compare the 5s to the S2 and come up with similar reasoning. I'm not saying stick with Apple. I'm saying it's time you start being honest with yourself. Being a fanboy for either company isn't healthy.

Open Source. If I'm going to build apps, I want to be able to use any computer I want, not a specialized one.
The ability to develop on a wider range of machines isn't what makes something open source. But, I get what you mean.

Fragmentation. While this may be considered a "toxic hellstew" (yes, I watched WWDC) by some people, this should really just be called "free will" or "excessive amounts of choices" instead of "fragmentation" (BTW, I actually prefer TouchWiz to stock Android). Even if my phone doesn't get the newest software, I have the choice to slap on a new launcher, theme and/or keyboard and call it a "software update".
As you start to program, you'll understand why it's called fragmentation more. It's not the wide range of choices you're seeing it as now. By now, you should have realized computers are dumb. They'll only do EXACTLY what you tell them to do. The wide range of choices you mentioned also include a wide range of hardware options that each have their own programming requirements. The programmer for your favorite app has to take the time to make the app work for each potential device. That's why it becomes important to select an Android device that is popular. Generally, programmers will accommodate those devices first and eventually branch to the less popular devices. You likely won't run into a problem with Samsung devices, but it's a concept you should understand going forward as it sounds like programming is something you're interested in.

Standard Connectors. This is technically a feature, but it deserves a bullet point of its own. By using microUSB, I can almost guarantee that excluding iOS, I'll be able to use my current cords (assuming the don't die) with pretty much any other phone, casual camera, hard drive, computer, flash drive or portable battery. This is amazing, and I can't believe Apple hasn't changed their charger standard yet. (Well, that last bit's a lie, Apple is stubborn in some regards)
One of my coworkers has the new Galaxy. Her phone doesn't charge with the standard charger either. If this is something that is actually important to you, rather than a talking point, you might want to take a look at that before you buy. There are other Android options available. Although, why is this important? Buying a cable isn't any different than buying a cable. Both are popular cables and easy to get your hands on when you need one.

Go after the device that makes you happy. Just, don't talk yourself into it.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your choice, but I think the write up would hold more water if done after spending some time with the android device instead of what you've read/seen briefly at a store.

Good luck!

This! He's talking about a device he's never really "used" versus an old phone. Full o' fail.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm Fishfam, and you may have seen me around recently. Probably not, but whatever. I'll just jump right into this essay-length post. I've decided, that after several years of Apple fanboyism, I'm going to switch to Android.

...I've also recently started learning various programming languages (currently learning Java, HTML and CSS, and I'm going to learn C++, Python, JavaScript etc.) so the ability to actually code for a mobile OS without buying an (IMO) overpriced Mac is awesome.
Go for programming if it appeals to you. Good to see you have identified an interest early on. This to me is an important point that could get lost in the bigger discussion. Best wishes to you in this.

Last edited:

Fishfam4

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
No offense, but I stopped reading when you said you were 14. I didn't know a whole lot at 14 either....

Also, as stated above; I was also pretty stupid when I was 14-years-old!

So, let me get this straight:
Switches to Android at 30+:
"Well, it's your money and your decision. I just don't agree with it."
Switches to Android at 14:
"Stupid kid, grow up and know that what I think is best is true!"

This reasoning makes kids feel that they aren't special, and can make them push opportunities away because they're "stupid", and aren't adults yet.

Just because you were stupid at 14 doesn't mean that everyone else was/is/will be.

Well duh! I would switch to android too if I was basing my iOS experience off an iPhone 4! There's nothing wrong with you switching, but the iPhone 4 IS NOT the latest iPhone, therefore you really can't judge apple based off the iPhone 4.
I hope to try T-Mobile's test drive program to try out the 5S (and T-Mobile's network) for a week. Plus my parents have 5s (plural of the iPhone 5, not singular 5S), which aren't terribly outdated.

So you'll wake up and see 1) that your not using logic by basing your judgement of iOS off your two outdated devices and 2) that Android, WP and blackberry all suck compared to iOS. But again, it's your choice., but you'll reap the consequences of your choices.
See above paragraph.
All I got from this was the following: I've owned so many android devices, and I've custom Rommed them, and dealt with all the issues that arise when one starts romming...and I think it's really irresponsible to promote romming to ones grandparents. Too much can go wrong with the devices and you never know when an emergency will happen.

1) I've never owned an Android device, ROMed or otherwise.
2) I don't plan on ROMing/rooting, I don't fancy bricking a $750 phone.
3) I think it's irresponsible to promote ROMing/rooting to MY grandparents, who have no reason to and wouldn't do anything with it anyway.
4) Actually, that last sentence is actually true.

Fishfam4

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Android is a smart call, much more features. I would like an answer from you (your in the anti BB generation) why is it a joke
About BB, the meme was just a joke, and I completely respect people who choose it.

It just seems like BB's been on life support for the past few years, although the Amazon App Store may revitalize them...

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
3) I think it's irresponsible to promote ROMing/rooting to MY grandparents, who have no reason to and wouldn't do anything with it anyway.

Didn't sound that way from YOUR quote:

"
Android is a great OS, but it can be complicated for some non-tech-savvy users (like my grandparents who bought them over iPhone two years ago because of their customizability, yet don't know that alternate keyboards, launchers and ROMs are possible until I, the person who's never owned an Android, told them about them). "

poojasinha25

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm Fishfam, and you may have seen me around recently. Probably not, but whatever. I'll just jump right into this essay-length post. I've decided, that after several years of Apple fanboyism, I'm going to switch to Android.

Now, let me explain my tech backstory.

For as long as I can remember (I'm 14, so not that long ago) someone in my family family has had some sort of Apple product, whether that be iPods, or MacBooks or iPhones. So, when it came time for me to get my first personal electronic device, back in 2011, I naturally chose the 4th-gen iPod touch. I had so much fun with that thing, but then in December of 2012, I received a third generation iPad (outdated several months before I got it) and an iPhone 4. That was the happiest day I think I've ever had. (This is when you start to wonder what the heck this has to do with the title, but never fear, this is necessary) Now, at the time, I was also a bit (OK a lot) of a fanboy, and this only kicked that up a notch.)

Now, fast forward to January of this year. Not much had really changed regarding my view on Apple. Then I discovered the Galaxy Note lineup of devices. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but I thought "Wow, these really ARE better than iOS". I also started to realize how much I hated a 3.5" screen, and iOS 7+ iPhone 4 =/= smooth user experience, BTW. So, I went to Best Buy and tried the Note 3 out, which pretty much confirmed that I'm getting the Note 4 in December. Then, another thing happened. The Galaxy Tab/NotePRO lineup was released. I've wanted the NotePRO 12.2 ever since, and I'm going to try selling my iPad to attempt to get it. I've also recently started learning various programming languages (currently learning Java, HTML and CSS, and I'm going to learn C++, Python, JavaScript etc.) so the ability to actually code for a mobile OS without buying an (IMO) overpriced Mac is awesome.

Ok, that's enough backstory. Here are my reasons for switching to Android:
  • Customizability. Just changing backgrounds and app orientation isn't good enough for me.
  • Open Source. If I'm going to build apps, I want to be able to use any computer I want, not a specialized one.
  • Features. Features such as widgets (in how I feel is the right way), larger screens, custom launchers/keyboards/ROMs and removable batteries are going to really help improve my smartphone and tablet experience.
  • Fragmentation. While this may be considered a "toxic hellstew" (yes, I watched WWDC) by some people, this should really just be called "free will" or "excessive amounts of choices" instead of "fragmentation" (BTW, I actually prefer TouchWiz to stock Android). Even if my phone doesn't get the newest software, I have the choice to slap on a new launcher, theme and/or keyboard and call it a "software update".
  • Standard Connectors. This is technically a feature, but it deserves a bullet point of its own. By using microUSB, I can almost guarantee that excluding iOS, I'll be able to use my current cords (assuming the don't die) with pretty much any other phone, casual camera, hard drive, computer, flash drive or portable battery. This is amazing, and I can't believe Apple hasn't changed their charger standard yet. (Well, that last bit's a lie, Apple is stubborn in some regards)

I figure that I might as well give my opinions on all mobile platforms for a negligible reason that may or may not actually add to the value of this post.

iOS:
iOS is still what I'd recommend for anyone who wants (or in the case of old people/kids, needs *deliberately blunt ageism*) a simple user experience. The design, while basically being a grid, is minimalistic, secure, easy-to-use and beautiful. This is sufficient for many people, I just happen to not be in that group.

Android:
Android is a great OS, but it can be complicated for some non-tech-savvy users (like my grandparents who bought them over iPhone two years ago because of their customizability, yet don't know that alternate keyboards, launchers and ROMs are possible until I, the person who's never owned an Android, told them about them). I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something more than iOS, and/or someone with a more artistic flair and a need for customizability. Or, you know, a need for a cheap (price, not necessarily quality) device.

Blackberry:
View attachment 60903

Windows Phone 8(.1):
I actually considered the Nokia Lumia 1520, but decided against the phone for its size and the OS for its relative lack of customizability and either slightly too small (4.5", I'm aware of the Samsung ATIV SE, didn't like the color) or slightly too big (6.0", slightly too big for my hands) screen sizes. 5.3" is my personal minimum, and 5.9" (HTC One Maxx) is really pushing it. Also, the app store is still not the most mature ecosystem, but it's definitely getting much better. Maybe next time I upgrade. I'd recommend this to someone tied into Microsoft's ecosystem, or someone wanting a very basic smartphone (Lumia 520/1).

Fire OS:
With the advent of the Fire Phone, which pretty much made Fire OS a complete ecosystem, I thought I should mention this. For the most part, what with subpar hardware and no Google Play access, I'd only recommend this to someone already tied to Amazon. That's it.

What do you think? Please comment on any of my points, and even try to persuade me into getting trying another ecosystem. Also, if I dissed any of your ecosystems, don't take it personally. These are my opinions, and I'm just giving my reasons for having them. Also, if you care, there's an (identical) companion post on Android Central if you want to follow the conversation there.

"Really nice write up! And welcome to the Androiders club! :) Try some of these favourite apps of mine for your android:
1. Evernote: Much better than the usual Memo and I'm sure you will love it!
2. Photo4Tune A chat messaging app, alternative to SMSes.
3. Clean Master: Keeps all the junk away
4. Twitter/Facebook: If you love being social, you wouldn't want to miss out on these!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
So, let me get this straight:
Switches to Android at 30+:
"Well, it's your money and your decision. I just don't agree with it."
Switches to Android at 14:
"Stupid kid, grow up and know that what I think is best is true!"

This reasoning makes kids feel that they aren't special, and can make them push opportunities away because they're "stupid", and aren't adults yet.

Just because you were stupid at 14 doesn't mean that everyone else was/is/will be.

I hope to try T-Mobile's test drive program to try out the 5S (and T-Mobile's network) for a week. Plus my parents have 5s (plural of the iPhone 5, not singular 5S), which aren't terribly outdated.

See above paragraph.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not your age that's the issue....it's your post. None of it makes any substantiated (look it up) sense.

JmBApps

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
You are comparing apples to oranges.
Every complaint I have ever heard about iOS was based on an old iOS (you), or it was operator error (maybe you again).

Once you have to actually work for a living, you dont have all day to sit around and customize your phone.

Apple is unmatched for art and music.....also 64 bit processing.

Good luck with your downgrade.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
You are comparing apples to oranges.
Every complaint I have ever heard about iOS was based on an old iOS (you), or it was operator error (maybe you again).

Once you have to actually work for a living, you dont have all day to sit around and customize your phone.

Apple is unmatched for art and music.....also 64 bit processing.

Good luck with your downgrade.

My thoughts exactly! I see so many kids hating on apple because their iPod touch 4th gen or lower, and their old iphone sucks. And I completely agree that they suck. but it isn't the latest device, and so suck it up and deal with it! It'd be like me having a nexus G1 and hating on Google for how it performs in 2014.
And I completely agree about not having time to sit around constantly customizing! I'm in college and oh you better believe I don't have time to sit around customizing all the time!

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem when someone ditches IOS or the iphone for android or another platform. It happens ALL of the time. But to come to the forum populated by and devoted to the users of said platform just to tell them you are leaving, and providing reasons why you are leaving, is in essence a thumbing at the nose to everyone there. Essentially you are saying you are leaving the phone/OS they choose to use every day because in your world, it was not good enough.

Here's an idea. Leave quietly. You tried it, it met your needs for a while, and now it no longer does. Great. Save the announcement and just move on. Many of us will still be here if and when you come back.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem when someone ditches IOS or the iphone for android or another platform. It happens ALL of the time. But to come to the forum populated by and devoted to the users of said platform just to tell them you are leaving, and providing reasons why you are leaving, is in essence a thumbing at the nose to everyone there. Essentially you are saying you are leaving the phone/OS they choose to use every day because in your world, it was not good enough.

Here's an idea. Leave quietly. You tried it, it met your needs for a while, and now it no longer does. Great. Save the announcement and just move on. Many of us will still be here if and when you come back.

Well said...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR