I'm a die hard Apple fan, just that..

leepierre

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1401859491.825434.jpg
To be honest, i love Apple products very much. Over the years, i've own several iPhones, iPods and iPads. The WWDC 2014 event presentation was amazing. Just that i didn't like the part when they put down Android for having such a low percentage of users running their latest software, KitKat at 9% compared IOS 7, which has an impressive 89% adoption. I mean, why put down your rival this way? What kind of marketing tactic is this? Or are you afraid Android will overtake you someday? I'm dissapointed at Apple for this. \:

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure most android fans would admit that as being a flaw. Androids updating system is a complete joke. It took months to get 4.4 on my Note 3 despite it being released months earlier.

And it's not as if no companies ever took jabs at Apple before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Seems pretty simple to me. They put that out there to show that Android is terrible with updates. I'm an avid user of both Android and iOS, I go back and forth between the two a lot, and Android SUCKS for updates if you have anything other than a Nexus. They just want to show people that may be thinking about getting an Android over an iPhone that they may be stuck on an older version of Android compared to the newest version of iOS.

CrucialTK

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 57858
To be honest, i love Apple products very much. Over the years, i've own several iPhones, iPods and iPads. The WWDC 2014 event presentation was amazing. Just that i didn't like the part when they put down Android for having such a low percentage of users running their latest software, KitKat at 9% compared IOS 7, which has an impressive 89% adoption. I mean, why put down your rival this way? What kind of marketing tactic is this? Or are you afraid Android will overtake you someday? I'm dissapointed at Apple for this. \:

WWDC. Worldwide Developers Conference. There's a room full of people for whom this conference was meant. Those watching online? Mostly spectators.

There's a reason you tell developers information like 89% vs 9%. You're helping to solidify the belief that using the latest and greatest programming and APIs offers better opportunity cost on Apple than on Android. Even if Android has 4 times as many phones as Apple on the market, Apple will still have twice the "current generation app development" market share. I know my wording of this isn't the best, but my intent is to impart that the chart featured above has everything to do with developers. Believe me when i say developers care about such numbers.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and others have all attacked Apple at some point to bring attention to their own products and services. It's business, and nothing more. To bring attention to something you're trying to promote, not only must you convey a need for it, you must also find a way to diminish your competitors and make your product and service appear as the obvious choice. Business 101...:)

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

This happens all the time. It's a competitive market. Companies point out what is best about their product versus their competitors.

Remember Samsung's next big thing campaign? Though I must say I miss the "I'm a Mac" ads in the Mac vs Windows era. Too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Seems pretty simple to me. They put that out there to show that Android is terrible with updates. I'm an avid user of both Android and iOS, I go back and forth between the two a lot, and Android SUCKS for updates if you have anything other than a Nexus. They just want to show people that may be thinking about getting an Android over an iPhone that they may be stuck on an older version of Android compared to the newest version of iOS.

I agree. I use both Apple and Android products and updates on Android are slow and painful to get. Mostly because its a two step process. First the manufacturer has to update each model to the newest version of the OS, then the Carriers have to update, mostly to install their bloatware.

That's one thing about Apple that I really enjoy, no carrier bloatware. I'll put up with Newstand and passbook to avoid all the carrier crap.

~S

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
wait android its a pain to upgrade? apple announces a software which is still in beta and fanbois go nuts over it? whats the difference? ios8 public release is more than a couple of months away!!!

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
wait android its a pain to upgrade? apple announces a software which is still in beta and fanbois go nuts over it? whats the difference? ios8 public release is more than a couple of months away!!!

What I meant was that when Apple releases a new OS, it is available for applicable devices, users don't have to wait for the carriers to test the update. Windows phone works the same way. Android has this issue due to multiple hardware manufacturers, with the exception of the Nexus line which is not dependent on either manufacturers or carriers

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Because if the competing operating system is still in the single digits with their latest software they're opening themselves up to being exposed. It wasn't a "tactic." It was just a good way to further gain developer confidence.

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I think it sends a message to the developers that if you update your apps to the new OS, it has a high adoption rate.

Encourages the Devs to work on their apps do that when iOS 8 goes live in the fall, apps are ready to update immediately.

That will then encourage users to update to the new OS sooner.....

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think it sends a message to the developers that if you update your apps to the new OS, it has a high adoption rate.

Encourages the Devs to work on their apps do that when iOS 8 goes live in the fall, apps are ready to update immediately.

That will then encourage users to update to the new OS sooner.....

Good point ;)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 57858

That doesn't bug me as much as their "malware" thing. As, you have to enable third party installs to get like 99.999% of what was shown, I'd even say 100% really. You'd then have to install. There was a huge issue with iOS 4.3.something, and I know it's ancient history by now, but the flaw was what let Jailbreak.Me or whatever the site was Jailbreak iOS devices by simply pointing them to a site, and had minimal user interaction. Basically, there are viruses for both, but they're next to impossible to get by mistake on Android.

I'm pretty sure most android fans would admit that as being a flaw. Androids updating system is a complete joke. It took months to get 4.4 on my Note 3 despite it being released months earlier.

I do think the updating is a flaw, and Apple has the clout to cut through carrier non-sense and just push the updates. Jobs was a genius to deny them the ability to load crappy carrier software on the phones from the start, if Android did that, as well as having things more like the GP Editions, then they could get the updates as seamless as iOS.

Just my $0.02 though.

Edit: When I say "Impossible to get by mistake" I mean, impossible to get without first compromising your phone's security by allowing installing from other sources.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't bug me as much as their "malware" thing. As, you have to enable third party installs to get like 99.999% of what was shown, I'd even say 100% really. You'd then have to install. There was a huge issue with iOS 4.3.something, and I know it's ancient history by now, but the flaw was what let Jailbreak.Me or whatever the site was Jailbreak iOS devices by simply pointing them to a site, and had minimal user interaction. Basically, there are viruses for both, but they're next to impossible to get by mistake on Android.

I do think the updating is a flaw, and Apple has the clout to cut through carrier non-sense and just push the updates. Jobs was a genius to deny them the ability to load crappy carrier software on the phones from the start, if Android did that, as well as having things more like the GP Editions, then they could get the updates as seamless as iOS.

Just my $0.02 though.

Edit: When I say "Impossible to get by mistake" I mean, impossible to get without first compromising your phone's security by allowing installing from other sources.

Jailbreak Me was able to be used because of an issue with PDF rendering on a couple versions of iOS. It was fixed in an iOS update.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Just my $0.02 though.

As far as the bolded text goes: That is something I cringe over. Now that this is Tim Cook's Apple and we're seeing stuff that we may not have ever seen under Steve Jobs, I really hope carriers aren't able to strong-arm Apple into putting their bloat on iPhones. I didn't like the fact that AT&T was able to get the "4G" logo on the 4S after a .1 update on iOS 5 a couple of years back. The 4G was implicating HSPA+ which was 3G in essence.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
As far as the bolded text goes: That is something I cringe over. Now that this is Tim Cook's Apple and we're seeing stuff that we may not have ever seen under Steve Jobs, I really hope carriers aren't able to strong-arm Apple into putting their bloat on iPhones. I didn't like the fact that AT&T was able to get the "4G" logo on the 4S after a .1 update on iOS 5 a couple of years back. The 4G was implicating HSPA+ which was 3G in essence.

They actually started charging more if people wanted to keep the "4G" speeds. It was just a big scam.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative