Installed iOS 8 Beta without registered UDID. How do I restore?

dannyresdh

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
i was told i could get 8.0 free by downloading and doing all these steps so i did and had iOS 8 for a few minutes untill my phone resetted and said "Activation error, this device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer program" and i tried to go to iTunes to restore my phone and it said the same activation error... i don't know what a 'Udid' is or how to get one but i cant access my phone or itunes to reset it.. thanks

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!!

A UDID is a unique identifier for your iPhone and that number is needed to install a beta. You're going to have to wipe your device & set it up as new. Then you may be able to restore it afterwards. Hope this helps...Good Luck!!!

Going forward, please remember that Apple releases betas so developers can update and create new apps to work with the new OS. Betas are for testing purposes and should not be taken lightly. The fact that you installed the beta without knowing what a UDID means, tells me you shouldn't be installing it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Basically you are hosed unless you restore from a previous backup and go to iOS 7. iTunes would have given you the udid number on the screen when it told you activation wasn't working.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Basically you are hosed unless you restore from a previous backup and go to iOS 7. iTunes would have given you the udid number on the screen when it told you activation wasn't working.
This is your only option.

I can't believe it took this long for one of these threads to appear. I guess we're getting better year by year.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i was told i could get 8.0 free by downloading and doing all these steps so i did and had iOS 8 for a few minutes untill my phone resetted and said "Activation error, this device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer program" and i tried to go to iTunes to restore my phone and it said the same activation error... i don't know what a 'Udid' is or how to get one but i cant access my phone or itunes to reset it.. thanks

just plug your phone into iTunes and hold the power button and the home button until your phone turns off and turns back on. keep holding it until you see an iTunes logo pop up. it'll do all the work from there. iTunes will download iOS 7.1.1 and restore your phone for you. had that happened to me yesterday i just paid for a udid registration.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I hate it when these threads come up. You have to follow the instructions which have already been provided in this thread many times to get your device back to normal. In the future, please don't install things you're not supposed to. These betas are for developers and technologically advanced users.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I hate it when these threads come up. You have to follow the instructions which have already been provided in this thread many times to get your device back to normal. In the future, please don't install things you're not supposed to. These betas are for developers and technologically advanced users.

Devs and advanced users need patience too. ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73