Are these featured in iOS 8?

unity04

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Since Apple didn't really dive that much into detail, I'm wondering if these enhancements have been made:

1. Pictures for contacts in the Messages application (overview of all threads and in the actual conversation)

2. Pictures for contacts in the Contacts application

3. Updated Notes application (iOS 7 version is very limited)

More to come.

unity04

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
1. No
2. No
3. Looks the same to me

It's a shame.. I'm hoping they add it in future betas, but to be honest I expected much more from iOS 8.. ya, instant reply and enhanced notification centre is cool, but they left out:

- major overhaul to the Mail application (contact pictures, ability to add attachments in the message)
- phone (again, add contact pictures to the list of recent calls)
- social contact integration (ability to see someones latest social activity and write on their wall or tweet them)
- live weather icon (or at least other icons that took advantage of active icons like the clock)
- THE ABILITY TO CLOSE ALL APPLICATIONS (seriously, how hasn't this been implemented?)
- an application that integrates all your social feeds into one (similar to the old BlackBerry Social app and Seesmic)
- updated calculator UI (i find the black/orange ugly)
- updated icons (safari, mail)
- photo gallery (ability to sync in your social networking photos and view the latest photos posted by your friends on instagram or facebook in separate views)

I mean, if Tim's going to bash Android before announcing iOS 8, at least be able to back it up. I feel they could've done a lot more...

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame.. I'm hoping they add it in future betas, but to be honest I expected much more from iOS 8.. ya, instant reply and enhanced notification centre is cool, but they left out:

- major overhaul to the Mail application (contact pictures, ability to add attachments in the message)
- social contact integration (ability to see someones latest social activity and write on their wall or tweet them)
- live weather icon (or at least other icons that took advantage of active icons like the clock)
- THE ABILITY TO CLOSE ALL APPLICATIONS (seriously, how hasn't this been implemented?)
- an application that integrates all your social feeds into one (similar to the old BlackBerry Social app and Seesmic)
- photo gallery (ability to sync in your social networking photos and view the latest photos posted by your friends on instagram or facebook in separate views)

I mean, if Tim's going to bash Android before announcing iOS 8, at least be able to back it up. I feel they could've done a lot more...

And I felt they did excellent with this launch.

YMMV

Posted via iMore App

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I was a bit irritated with him mentioning Android but he was mainly referring to how many people are using Kit Kat. With that being said, I would have to disagree with you about adding more. We have to understand that not every feature we want will be integrated at once. I've only been using iDevices for a little under 2 years and I know I won't get every feature I was use to with other platforms, if I get it at all. Apple's main vision is to make iOS a pleasing experience. Adding features prematurely just because they're available on another platform is not their philosophy. Unfortunately, thats the way things work with them. Im still missing the fact that I can't use the number keys to search for contacts when I'm in the phone app but it is what it is.

Guaco

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed not to see anything on assigning default applications.

Posted via iMore App

Somewhat related. In theory (with extensions) would you be able to open links from Facebook or Twitter into Chrome instead of Safari? (Provided Google adds the extensions.) Or even use Google Chrome as your browser in web searches from Spotlight?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

bnob99

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Disappointed not to see anything on assigning default applications.

Posted via iMore App
I imagine this is coming at some point in the next year or two. If they are allowing 3rd party keyboards I can't imagine why they won't allow other defaults to change. Clearly their thinking has changed so I don't see why that won't continue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2