Anyone else getting tired of Apples failure to keep their upgrades for osx and iOS backward compatible?

For instance...

FaceTime no longer works between iOS 7 and iOS 5.

Texting between iOS 5 and Mavericks no longer works.

Pages, Numbers and GarageBand files no longer work between iOS 7 and the versions I have on my iPod Touch running iOS 6.

I totally understand new features not being available for older devices. But when something that used to work just fine suddenly no longer works between Apple hardware because Apple decided it's time for you to upgrade is pretty frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    05-25-2014 09:01 AM
    I think apple does a pretty good job keeping their older devices relevant. What phone generation are you currently using?
    05-25-2014 09:07 AM
    My iPhone is a 5 running iOS 7.1.1. But I have a friend running iOS 5 on a iPhone 4 and FaceTime no longer works between the two devices. And I do not receive the majority of his texts on Mavericks which is up to date.

My iPod Touch is 4th generation and running iOS 6 which is the last version available for it so Pages, Numbers and GarageBand files are no longer compatible between with my iPhone.

05-25-2014 09:17 AM
    iOS 7.1 is available for the iPhone 4 Apple - iOS 7 - Update

If the friend is using iMessage as are you, and you're signed into Messages on Mavericks; then those iMessages should be showing up. Although this scenario hasn't even 100% perfect for e.
    05-25-2014 09:46 PM
    Yes, but for some reason I only get partial conversations which renders using message on Mavericks with him useless. I have to finish up the conversations on the phone which gets all the messages.

So basically, my iPhone gets 100% of the conversation where Mavericks only gets maybe 30% or so. It used to work 100% of the time on Mavericks, but since one of the updates it stopped working.
    05-26-2014 01:09 AM
    I talked with Apple again today about messages on Mavericks and it sounds like it is a known issue in which I'm not alone and they are working on a patch. They mentioned doing a reinstall of the OS usually fixes the issue.

I do think Apple does a good job.

My post reflects some of my built up frustration of a couple issues over time. Looks like FaceTime would work with iPhone 4 users but they would have to upgrade to iOS 7. To me that doesn't seem right as it's forcing users of older hardware to upgrade to a os written for the newer faster hardware when the feature was working just fine. FaceTime with iOS 5 users worked fine previous to this ... Unable to make or receive FaceTime calls after April 16, 2014.
    05-28-2014 01:21 PM
    If Apple is working on a patch that may solve the issue then great. As for forcing users to upgrade, that's how it is with Technology. No company is going to limit advancements because they surpass the capabilities of older hardware.
    05-28-2014 01:37 PM
    No, but software upgrades shouldn't make a device less then it was unless you buy a new one. If a new feature isn't included on older hardware that is understandable. But if features that once worked fine begin to break because of technology moving forward there is something wrong with the model in my opinion.

05-28-2014 05:33 PM
    No, but software upgrades shouldn't make a device less then it was unless you buy a new one. If a new feature isn't included on older hardware that is understandable. But if features that once worked fine begin to break because of technology moving forward there is something wrong with the model in my opinion.

I see your point...
    05-28-2014 05:34 PM
    I see your point...
    I see the point, sort ofafaik though in the case of forcing iPhone 4 and above users to upgrade to iOS 7.1.1 for FaceTime to work, it was a security-type of issue with certificates and SSL and in order to make FaceTime work with 6.* on an iPhone 4 (and inter-operate with other iOS devices running iOS 7.*), it would've negatively affected the security of everyone even those already on iOS 7.1.1. In this instance I'm guessing apple was picking the lesser of two evils because there are fewer people on iPhone 4's with iOS 6 who are inconvenienced by FaceTime not working compared with the vastly larger number of people who would be exposed to a security risk.
    Just_Me_D, phreddyl and i7guy like this.
    05-28-2014 05:45 PM
    Well-stated, my friend, and thank you.
    05-28-2014 05:47 PM
    Im still somewhat new (less than a year), but in that short time I am of the opinion they deprecate way, way too many methods, far, far too often.
    So if your iOS version is using a method no longer used by the current iOS, things get funky.....errors are generated. Sometimes they move a bit fast for their own good, in my opinion. Then you move over to OS to iOS....should be the same...but now it isnt. GarageBand used to more user friendly when you could send songs from iMac to device and vice versa. The last update stopped the songs being written on iMac from being able to be transferred to device. You can still send device to iMac....then back, but songs written on iMac....stay there. Apple seems to take a few steps back sometimes....Im sure there is a method to their madness.
    06-17-2014 10:32 AM
    My iPod Touch 4G was left in a most undesirable state with iOS 6. With everything turned off in settings the operating system still bogs down the hardware. iOS 5 should have been the last OS released for it and it would be nice if Apple provided a way to roll back.

06-17-2014 10:42 AM
    I agree 100% about a rollback. They should support their operating systems for more then 6 months.
    06-17-2014 12:35 PM
    When Microsoft does it it's fine though, but Apple how dare you. If your still on iOS 5 then you defiantly need to upgrade to at least 6. I mean hell, iOS 5 was released back in late 2011. There are so many benefits to upgrade that to not is a mere waste of money.
    07-06-2014 04:44 PM
    Apples and oranges. XP was supported for over a decade....and that is what i used until last year. I didnt stop because they finally stopped support for XP, after over a decade (not 3 years like Apple). I switched because my computer slowed down to the point of frustration....then I bought an iPad and loaded iTunes on my old PC....chunk, chunk, clunk. That slowed it to the point of being obsolete...not to mention it was still USB 1 and took forever to sync.
    If you developed...you would know that they deprecate methods every couple of months...sometimes it is no big deal...sometimes it will cause a once functioning app to crash. Im talking about the programming side more than the commercial side....but in my opinion they rush the commercial side too. Like the iPhone 5...then the 5c and 5s. The regular 5 do not have the A7 and M7. Why not? Well because instead of waiting...they just stuck the old hardware in the new shell...sold a ton of them....then added the new hardware....changed a home button...or the color...and sold even more. They should have just waited a couple more months....but they made a few million instead.
    07-16-2014 08:53 AM
    Like the iPhone 5...then the 5c and 5s. The regular 5 do not have the A7 and M7. Why not? Well because instead of waiting...they just stuck the old hardware in the new shell...sold a ton of them....then added the new hardware....changed a home button...or the color...and sold even more. They should have just waited a couple more months....but they made a few million instead.
    Apple hos historically only released one phone per year until last year. And people line up and jones after the new (unannounced and unreleased) model in droves.

The 5S and 5C devices were iterations of the iPhone 5. It was, effectively, a new model, complete with new features and function.

It’s not like Samsung who releases a new phone model every time a South Korean sneezes.
    LMP_IOS likes this.
    07-16-2014 01:18 PM