How often do you reset your i-Device?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use to just do an upgrade via iTunes during the iOS 3 & 4 days. Starting with iOS 5 I now restore my iOS device as new every iOS X.0 release (I don't even do the OTA update first) and I'll do the OTA update for 1.X releases first then restore later. For 1.0.X releases I'll just do the OTA update until a jailbreak comes out or I think I got a bad OTA update then I'll restore it.
For betas I'll do the OTA update but I'll do a reset all settings after wards.
But one thing I always do after an update is installed and once my devices finishes booting to the lockscreen I'll leave it there for 5-10 minutes to let it finish applying everything and recreate all the caches then I'll turn it off then back on again and leave it for another 5 minutes before I'll start using it again.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use to just do an upgrade via iTunes during the iOS 3 & 4 days. Starting with iOS 5 I now restore my iOS device as new every iOS X.0 release (I don't even do the OTA update first) and I'll do the OTA update for 1.X releases first then restore later. For 1.0.X releases I'll just do the OTA update until a jailbreak comes out or I think I got a bad OTA update then I'll restore it.
For betas I'll do the OTA update but I'll do a reset all settings after wards.
But one thing I always do after an update is installed and once my devices finishes booting to the lockscreen I'll leave it there for 5-10 minutes to let it finish applying everything and recreate all the caches then I'll turn it off then back on again and leave it for another 5 minutes before I'll start using it again.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Your routine is similar to mine, my friend.....:)

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I feel like something is wrong with my phone or it's needs a reboot which is not to often

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have done in once when my "other"really jumped up there for no reason during an app update and got very good results from it.

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
What you need to do is restore you devices as new with a fresh install set them up like new. There's no reason you need to keep resting your device your probably carrying over a corrupt OS by OTA updates

Sounds good. But have done that tons of times. The iOS7 & many apps, particularly Safari & Facebook, are unstable with tons of bugs. A bunch of them are well documented and known, and a ton of are outstanding and noted on Apple Support & Community sites.

So going through this 'restore to fresh' is really just a waste of time and does not solve anything, because there are KNOWN BUG & ISSUES in the code that just reoccur again, time after time. Because the bug are still there...!

This fascination with the restore/reset/reboot/reload crowd to solve every reported bug is ridiculous. It solves nothing but a run-time ram resident problem. Things that are a code based bug will just reoccur, because its in the code, and not simply a run-time issue where the phone got into a conflicted state since it was booted up. These crashes & unstable issues, can sometimes be temporarily solved by a restore/reset/reboot, or even with a fresh reload, but what the reset crowd forgets, is a good portion of these issues are code based bugs & will just keep reoccurring, until Apple programmers fix the damn code. So it has all of us doing the hokie-pokie reset/restore/reboot/reload routine, wasting a **** load of our time & effort, just to have the issues re-manifest within hours or days, because ITS IN THE CODE!

Put it this way. If you're not seeing stability issues, freeze ups, or crashes, you're just not using your phone enough or deep enough. Just go to the diagnostic report area (General Settings/About/Diagnostic & Usage Data) that gets transmitted to Apple on a regular basis, if you allow it, and see how many crash reports that occur every single day, on multiple apps, even on day 1 after a fresh reload/reinstall, and its clear as day that the OS & Apps are unstable and get hung up all the time....

....Causing the need to reset/reboot quite frequently....

...Its the bugs in the code, not a corrupt OS or even a clean OS....

Bugs in the code will repeat all the time, regardless of the state of the OS. A corrupt OS just makes it worse. And if folks have ever had a corrupt OS, you know it. The phone acts really weird across the board & is pretty obvious.

These code based bugs occur within the OS or within Apps, and have nothing to do with OS corruption. Because they are simply code based bugs that occur regardless of the OS state, and not run-time issues.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good. But have done that tons of times. The iOS7 & many apps, particularly Safari & Facebook, are unstable with tons of bugs. A bunch of them are well documented and known, and a ton of are outstanding and noted on Apple Support & Community sites.

So going through this 'restore to fresh' is really just a waste of time and does not solve anything, because there are KNOWN BUG & ISSUES in the code that just reoccur again, time after time. Because the bug are still there...!

This fascination with the restore/reset/reboot/reload crowd to solve every reported bug is ridiculous. It solves nothing but a run-time ram resident problem. Things that are a code based bug will just reoccur, because its in the code, and not simply a run-time issue where the phone got into a conflicted state since it was booted up. These crashes & unstable issues, can sometimes be temporarily solved by a restore/reset/reboot, or even with a fresh reload, but what the reset crowd forgets, is a good portion of these issues are code based bugs & will just keep reoccurring, until Apple programmers fix the damn code. So it has all of us doing the hokie-pokie reset/restore/reboot/reload routine, wasting a **** load of our time & effort, just to have the issues re-manifest within hours or days, because ITS IN THE CODE!

Put it this way. If you're not seeing stability issues, freeze ups, or crashes, you're just not using your phone enough or deep enough. Just go to the diagnostic report area (General Settings/About/Diagnostic & Usage Data) that gets transmitted to Apple on a regular basis, if you allow it, and see how many crash reports that occur every single day, on multiple apps, even on day 1 after a fresh reload/reinstall, and its clear as day that the OS & Apps are unstable and get hung up all the time....

....Causing the need to reset/reboot quite frequently....

...Its the bugs in the code, not a corrupt OS or even a clean OS....

Bugs in the code will repeat all the time, regardless of the state of the OS. A corrupt OS just makes it worse. And if folks have ever had a corrupt OS, you know it. The phone acts really weird across the board & is pretty obvious.

These code based bugs occur within the OS or within Apps, and have nothing to do with OS corruption. Because they are simply code based bugs that occur regardless of the OS state, and not run-time issues.

If you read my first two posts in this thread you would realize that i don't restore on a regular bases I gave the mentioned advice because it's not normal to get freezes on a daily bases even if you push your iPhone as hard as you mentioned. Your blaming it on code but I still feel it's a corrupt OS. But you know your device better than I do so I will leave it at that

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Once a month (on the last day). I reset all of my electronic devices on this day (unless it's needed before then). Been doing that for a couple of years now....SMILE

Ajay2010

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
All the damn time, cause the iPhone & iPad are constantly crashing, hanging, or freezing up. Its even worse with iOS 7. Worse than even with iOS 7.1, particularly if your on iPhone 4 or 4S! Which ironically Apple said 7.1 has fixes & improvements for. My two iPhone 4S worked a lot better with 7.0.6, than 7.1. And it worked tons better with iOS 6, than it does with iOS 7. Even better with iOS 5. Software for the iPhone & iPad is going down the tubes. It's horrible now....

You must be joking apple products are not even close to that troublesome you must be talking about you android based gadgets

Sent from the best damn phone on the planet ,iPhone 5s

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
All the damn time, cause the iPhone & iPad are constantly crashing, hanging, or freezing up. Its even worse with iOS 7. Worse than even with iOS 7.1, particularly if your on iPhone 4 or 4S! Which ironically Apple said 7.1 has fixes & improvements for. My two iPhone 4S worked a lot better with 7.0.6, than 7.1. And it worked tons better with iOS 6, than it does with iOS 7. Even better with iOS 5. Software for the iPhone & iPad is going down the tubes. It's horrible now....

Can only support this statement.

I never migrated my iPad2 above iOS6 and it is running pefect all the time. No need to reboot.

My wife has an iPad Mini and I did not recommend her to migrate to iOS7 (so she is on iOS6) and it works fine. Never reboots.

I have my iPad Air with iOS7 and it freezes regularly, need rebooting for getting slow at least once a week.

Btw I also found the dock in iOS much more elegant, but that is a different story that would also apply to other graphical elements.

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If you read my first two posts in this thread you would realize that i don't restore on a regular bases I gave the mentioned advice because it's not normal to get freezes on a daily bases even if you push your iPhone as hard as you mentioned. Your blaming it on code but I still feel it's a corrupt OS. But you know your device better than I do so I will leave it at that

I hear you. And in some cases a restore//reset/reboot is necessary. Having said that, there is definitely an over zealous group of people, which include the so called Apple geniuses, that jump straight to restore as a fix all, for any problem encountered. Causing so many people to waste a ton of time & effort going thru the process. Plus it causes more trouble for the user when they realize they lost some things after the restore, or get into further trouble when the restore doesn't go right. And my point was, people recommend a restore without actually knowing or researching the issue. Many of these issues with iPhone are real documented and unresolved bugs. So a restore does nothing for them. In fact, after all the time & effort to do a restore, they have the exact same problem afterwards. Because it is a known unresolved bug. So this was my main point.

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
You must be joking apple products are not even close to that troublesome you must be talking about you android based gadgets

Sent from the best damn phone on the planet ,iPhone 5s

No I am not joking. Does it sound like I am joking? And no, I'm not on Android, if you bothered to read my post or look at my profile moniker, you'd know I was on iPhone. And your answer is a waste of everyone's time. You didn't provide any value

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I hear you. And in some cases a restore//reset/reboot is necessary. Having said that, there is definitely an over zealous group of people, which include the so called Apple geniuses, that jump straight to restore as a fix all, for any problem encountered. Causing so many people to waste a ton of time & effort going thru the process. Plus it causes more trouble for the user when they realize they lost some things after the restore, or get into further trouble when the restore doesn't go right. And my point was, people recommend a restore without actually knowing or researching the issue. Many of these issues with iPhone are real documented and unresolved bugs. So a restore does nothing for them. In fact, after all the time & effort to do a restore, they have the exact same problem afterwards. Because it is a known unresolved bug. So this was my main point.

In addition:
Today I saw somebody recommending a restore to a silly issue and I replied with: "That's like recommending to amputate an arm because you broke your nail". This pretty much covers what I think about restores.

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Or insight to this thread. And yes, there are a ton of known documented problems & bugs with the iPhone. There are a ton of tech sites like this one that discuss & document, as well as try to resolve these issues thru community effort & sharing insights. All you have to do is goto the Apple support site and you can see for yourself how many unresolved bugs there are & how many 1000s of iPhone users that are having problems & are getting frustrated with Apple. So good for you that you've drank the Apple tea, however there is a ton a people, including me, who are in reality and are dealing with these issues. So hopefully in the future you'll having something of value to say, or something that's means something.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen