Location services staying on

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if thus has been addressed already. Ever since updating both my iPhone 4S and iPad to 7.1 I've noticed that the location services icon stays on in the status bar. I've gone into settings to see what app is currently using the location and it's listed as Google Maps and Yahoo weather. I've force quit both of these apps and the location services icon stays on. I didn't have this problem prior to 7.1. Anyone have any solutions?

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
image.jpg image one this is the apps I have running the background, just Safari.

image.jpg image two shows Google Maps and Yahoo weather turned on in location services yet as seen in image one neither app is running in background.

image.jpg image three shows Google Maps location services turned off and Yahoo weather still on however Yahoo weather shows the geofencing location services icon.

image.jpg finally image four shows both Google Maps and Yahoo weather turned off in location services and now there is no icon in the status bar.

I never had this problem prior to iOS 7.1

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm running iOS 7.1 (Public Release) and I'm not experiencing anything like that. Have you tried rebooting your device? Does anyone know your iCloud credentials and could possibly be logged onto the iCloud website and tracking your movements via the Find My iPhone app? If you go to Settings - Privacy - Location Services - Find My iPhone, you will see an option for "Status Bar Icon". If it is enabled, the icon will display if someone is using the Find My iPhone feature from another device as I stated above. In no way am I saying that is the cause for the issue you are having, however, it is something you might consider looking into...:)

mgruve

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you have four square installed. I noticed that when I disabled foursquare in location settings my icon in the status bar disappeared. I was having the same issue as you prior to turning foursquare off.

wkr08

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes I do have Foursquare installed, and after turning loc settings off for it, it fixed the problem. Thanks!
I thought I had already tried that, but apparently not.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I posted the similar question on the Apple support communities. Someone there was finally able to help with a solution. It's the background app refresh.

Settings>General>Background app refresh click the toggle to disable all background app refreshing. You'll be asked if your sure you want to disable it. Once it's toggled off reenable background app refreshing and toggle off the offending apps. In my case it was Google Maps and Yahoo weather.

After I turned that off I relaunched both apps and they work as expected upon force closing the apps the location indicator disappears just las prior to 7.1

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I posted the similar question on the Apple support communities. Someone there was finally able to help with a solution. It's the background app refresh.

Settings>General>Background app refresh click the toggle to disable all background app refreshing. You'll be asked if your sure you want to disable it. Once it's toggled off reenable background app refreshing and toggle off the offending apps. In my case it was Google Maps and Yahoo weather.

After I turned that off I relaunched both apps and they work as expected upon force closing the apps the location indicator disappears just las prior to 7.1

Glad you found a solution. I d/l the public release and haven't experienced this.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
It was the "Apple Store" app that was doing to me. I shut location services off for that app and the GPS Geofencing icon goes away, turn it back on and the Geofencing icon returns.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Verified this worked for me as well. Thanks Swampbaby!

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a strange issue after updating to iOS 7.1. On my iPhone, Location services is turned on. But only for relevant apps such as google maps, foursquare ets, never for any camera app.

But after updating to 7.1, every time I take a photo using the stock camera app, it turned on gps for couple seconds and turned off.

When I turned off location services fully, this problem never occurred. So what I did, I turned on location services main switch, and turned off all the other switches which were already on such as maps and foursquare. And turned then back on as it was before. After that my problem disappeared. Pretty strange ha...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

kenysgurl

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Sorry if thus has been addressed already. Ever since updating both my iPhone 4S and iPad to 7.1 I've noticed that the location services icon stays on in the status bar. I've gone into settings to see what app is currently using the location and it's listed as Google Maps and Yahoo weather. I've force quit both of these apps and the location services icon stays on. I didn't have this problem prior to 7.1. Anyone have any solutions?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW