Ios 7.1 is 1.4 GB?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the latest ios 7.1 beta and I have the iPhone 5s why is the file so big?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Probably because the changes Apple saw fit to make equates to being that size. You can either choose to update or stick with what you currently have. Right?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the latest ios 7.1 beta and I have the iPhone 5s why is the file so big?

Cause your using a beta release. Those with the 5S running iOS 7.0.6, the update size is 268 MB
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394477086.194158.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh kk makes sense thank you :) updates was just wondering!

I've seen some people post the same thing on twitter and it's the only thing they have in common.

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
As an aside, it's been my experience in the past that OTA updates are much smaller than updates through iTunes. It's as though OTA does delta updates and iTunes does a full install.

I've seen some people post the same thing on twitter and it's the only thing they have in common.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As an aside, it's been my experience in the past that OTA updates are much smaller than updates through iTunes. It's as though OTA does delta updates and iTunes does a full install.

from a non-beta release the OTA update is usually smaller than the full ipsw file, but from a beta release I'm not surprised its larger.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
from a non-beta release the OTA update is usually smaller than the full ipsw file, but from a beta release I'm not surprised its larger.

Delta means change. Basically, he said he believes the OTA updates only modify files that need to change from one version to the next while getting the IPSW pulls the entire package.

You're focusing on beta when you should simply be comparing OTA vs IPSW. If you're not surprised a beta would be ~5-6 times the size of the non-beta, I'm not sure I'd trust you as a source.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Delta means change. Basically, he said he believes the OTA updates only modify files that need to change from one version to the next while getting the IPSW pulls the entire package.

You're focusing on beta when you should simply be comparing OTA vs IPSW. If you're not surprised a beta would be ~5-6 times the size of the non-beta, I'm not sure I'd trust you as a source.

The file size of the iOS 7.1 ipsw for the 5S is 1.43 GB. So the OTA update is pretty much reinstalling the whole OS which is the part I'm not surprised at if you are updating from a beta OS to a finalized OS. To be honest I would actually prefer the whole OS to be reinstalled than updating just the part of the OS that is need if I'm going from a beta version to the final version.

I'm just going by what I've seen and what I've picked up as common similarities. I agree on the part that the OTA update doesn't need to be that big, but only Apple know why they released the update for beta users the way they did. Apple could of released a small OTA update to finalize the OS but instead went with what looks like a full OS install, they could of forced beta users to restore to 7.1 with iTunes if they wanted to but they went with the full OS install route. I'm not surprised since Apple wanted to make it as simple and as trouble free as possible, I'm more surprised they released an OTA update for beta users to update to the public release. As far as I know they haven't done that before (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Again I'm just gathering all the info I've seen and this is the only thing that makes sense (at least to me) logically, but I could be wrong still.

I still would like to know the real reason from a professional though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711