Inside The OS: Any Google Code?

BitPusher2600

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I need a minute folks. It would take a long time to explain myself so instead try to give me the benefit of the doubt. A long story short, I am very extremely anti-Google and try to do whatever I can, no matter how small, to keep any single piece of data, any statistic, any metric whatsoever from Google Inc and it has been burning my arse since the release of BlackBerry 10 that they have Android onboard. I have many years with BlackBerry and actually switched back from a Q10 to my old Bold 9930. For my usage needs, OS 7 worked just fine so I'm OK with being "legacy", but I found out doing some digging that some elements of even BBOS7 utilizes code from Google and the AOSP as well.

After a many years deep stretch of loyalty to the brand, I just found this out about OS7 today that has screwed my day up to say the very least.

In this, I'm here to ask if anyone knows anything at all with regards to if there is any code from Google anywhere within iOS, be it an element of the browser, the core of the OS itself, anything? I have no idea what exactly is being utilized in BBOS7 regarding the Android codebase, yet its there. I'm also digging into Windows Phone, I'm that determined to have a mobile OS that does not have even a single line of code from Google onboard if that's even possible.

PS: I am asking about the OS itself and built-in software (such as the browser), not external/third-party apps and the like.

I appreciate your time folks. Thank you.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I can't answer a question so detailed your asking about lines of code now if your wondering if Google can spy on you thru the Safari browser that would depend on the search engine your using but I'm sure you know these things

Apple being a strong competitor to Google I would say it's your best bet if your totally against what they stand for

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
It's funny... Remember how people used to be extremely anti-MS and yet compared to Google, MS is a company that makes money selling actual working products, not mining user data for ads. And Bill Gates is actually a very decent person, if you read about his charity, he's actually trying to make real difference and save people's lives with his money.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I need a minute folks. It would take a long time to explain myself so instead try to give me the benefit of the doubt. A long story short, I am very extremely anti-Google and try to do whatever I can, no matter how small, to keep any single piece of data, any statistic, any metric whatsoever from Google Inc and it has been burning my arse since the release of BlackBerry 10 that they have Android onboard. I have many years with BlackBerry and actually switched back from a Q10 to my old Bold 9930. For my usage needs, OS 7 worked just fine so I'm OK with being "legacy", but I found out doing some digging that some elements of even BBOS7 utilizes code from Google and the AOSP as well.

After a many years deep stretch of loyalty to the brand, I just found this out about OS7 today that has screwed my day up to say the very least.

In this, I'm here to ask if anyone knows anything at all with regards to if there is any code from Google anywhere within iOS, be it an element of the browser, the core of the OS itself, anything? I have no idea what exactly is being utilized in BBOS7 regarding the Android codebase, yet its there. I'm also digging into Windows Phone, I'm that determined to have a mobile OS that does not have even a single line of code from Google onboard if that's even possible.

PS: I am asking about the OS itself and built-in software (such as the browser), not external/third-party apps and the like.

awww another "security" freak here

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm almost afraid to ask but what do you have against Google?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost afraid to ask but what do you have against Google?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

We've all got personal choices, lines that we draw, and reasons for them. I've got mine. As an example, I keep my Google experience compartmentalised to one device. That is my choice.

BitPusher has his own reasons. It would be nice if you could help with his very clearly defined question - to paraphrase, is there any Google code within iOS aside from the default browser, which we can change.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Hi there

I can't answer your question about code but the only thing that I've found within iOS that is Google based is the browser. You can change this.

View attachment 64760
View attachment 64761
View attachment 64762

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

Dev from tipb

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what you mean by "any Google code." Google engineers provided, for 2-3 years, more commits than anybody - including Apple - to WebKit, so there will be code written by Googlers in iOS for the foreseeable future.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
There's probably some Google code in Mail.app (Mail), Contacts.app (Contacts), Notes.app (Notes), Reminders.app (Reminders) & Calendar.app (Calendar) to allow for Google Accounts to work with the respective Apps, but if you're anti-Google then you're probably safe as it's only going to allow connectivity it's not going to be able to send anything back to Google.

BB10 has a lot more Google related code since it can run Android Apps Natively through side-loading the Android.apk files.

Windows Phone probably has the same amount of Google code to allow Google Accounts to integrate with Mail, People & Calendar.

As long as you don't use any Google services then the code to allow connectivity might as well not even be there (if there is any Google code in that is)

Roland

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice